Late hanging apple

20 years? Thats it? Heck I've been growing 2 years and I'm published in magazines and on the interwebs. :)

Looking forward to your future posts indeed, perhaps a thread heavy on pictures of what all you have?
20 years? Thats it? Heck I've been growing 2 years and I'm published in magazines and on the interwebs. :)

Looking forward to your future posts indeed, perhaps a thread heavy on pictures of what all you have?

I would like very much to read about your success in the stories published in magazines. Please share.

I would like very much to read about your success in the stories published in magazines. Please share.

Sarcasm, I'm impressed by you doing it for 20 years.

What zone are you in Appleman?

I see in another thread you are in VT.

Here are a few pics of late hanging apples in January. Galarina, Honeycrisp, and Frostbite.

Attachments

• Galarina_lastweekoftheNovember2002.gif
    Galarina_lastweekoftheNovember2002.gif
    67.8 KB · Views: 67
  • jan242016applehut 071.JPG
    jan242016applehut 071.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 66
Is it possible to have them hang too long into winter?

Is it possible to have them hang too long into winter?

Actually yes. The deer around my house do not winter here. As soon as the snow starts piling up and temps drop they move on to some softwoods a mile or two south of me. So despite having some real late dropping varieties, I rarely see deer utilize them unless I shake them down by early December or so.

Appleman- My Frostbite appears to be showing quite a bit of CAR. Do you have any information on it for CAR?

Powder, post #29 - I can only speak from experience here in the northern Pa. mountains. There are several apple trees up the road from my camp that have apples still hanging on them in March - they drop slowly all winter. Many deer tracks in the snow coming to those trees suggest the deer still eat them after freezing and getting mushy.

What Maya said in post #30 above is true for his location, but our deer don't migrate to another area like his deer do. It will probably vary with each guy's location and winter severity / snow depth. Guys like Maya, Chummer, and maybe Natty have deer that move several miles to yard-up for the winter in better thermal conditions. - - Here, late hangers are good and get used.

Here are a few pics of late hanging apples in January. Galarina, Honeycrisp, and Frostbite.
That first tree is just loaded