Late hanging apple

Dan Wombles

5 year old buck +
In the past, i have posted on other threads that my Yates and Michelin will have many apples hang well into December (zone 5b). Today, while researching apples in my continuing quest for vintage varieties, I ran across the Hoover apple: from 1850, dark red apple with yellowish flesh that's firm, juicy, tender with a brisk acid flavor; moderately resistant to the major diseases, especially fireblight; late bloomer that will miss late frosts; many apples hang on into winter; good for dessert, baking and apple butter; storage quality good. I have two hoovers grafted in my nursury, but no first hand experience yet.

Running list of late hanging apples (I'll add to list as I discover more):
Yates
Michelin
Keener Seedling
King David
Golden hornet crab

Last edited:
Good info Dan.

Question for you - I have Yates and like the apple very well for disease resistance and taste. But, mine seem to drop by sometime in October. My tree is on MM111 and I'm in Zone 6B. Do you have any thoughts on why my fruit would drop earlier?

Thanks - Steve

Steve, I assume it is due to your zone. My yates is also on m-111.

I think it's because everything wakes up sooner. If say a tree in my zone blooms mid April but not until mid may for Dan mine have a one month head start on ripening up.

I think it's because everything wakes up sooner. If say a tree in my zone blooms mid April but not until mid may for Dan mine have a one month head start on ripening up.

Neahawg, you are further south than me. Do you have Yates or know anyone else who does? I just wondered what the drop time was down that way.

Thanks - Steve

We have a Yates but I bet it's another it's another year or two away. So far we've only had graniwinkle, Winesap, Dayton, gala, and golden delicious fruit but I'm hopeful for a few more this year.

Running list of late hanging apples (I'll add to list as I discover more):
Yates
Michelin
Keener Seedling
King David
Golden hornet crab
Bump

Dan - What's the story with King David ?? I've read about it in several sources, and thought about trying one. How is it for DR and growth habit ??

Dan - What's the story with King David ?? I've read about it in several sources, and thought about trying one. How is it for DR and growth habit ??

I am curious about this as well as I have 2 of these in my nursery currently growing.

I've seen pics posted of galarina holding really late also, going to put a couple out this spring.

I have a yellow delicious tree that about every other yr hold apples till about April> they just never come off till things green up
crazy
about 75 % will come down, but the rest are like glued on!
be BLACK when they do come down and NOTHING eats them then, but figure they break down and make fertilizer of some sort over time? LOL

Apple Junkie - Do you have disease probs. with Ida Reds ?? I read they are very susceptible to a couple diseases. I LOVE to eat them though !!! I buy mine from a local orchard. Good keepers - tart with enough sweet to be delicious.

Bows, I do nothing to this tree and it does not have any outward disease problems that I can see. Funny you should mention the taste. This is our "lunch bucket" tree since most of us stop on our way to our stands to fill our pockets. They make a tasty snack later in the day. Again, they are hanging all during deer season, so we pick direct from the tree.

Here is a list of best late hanging apples in my orchards/plantings I have observed over 20 years as a Grower. Honeycrisp, Enterprise, Galarina, Snowsweet, Frostbite, Liberty, and Franklin Cider. All are disease resistant to scab. Honeycrisp is susceptible to cedar apple rust, while the others mentioned have good resistance. The top three on this list to still have a noticeable amount of apples on the trees as of Janurary 15th: Honeycrisp, Frostbite, Galarina, and Franklin Cider. Liberty and Enterprise were good up until late December.

Here is a list of best late hanging apples in my orchards/plantings I have observed over 20 years as a Grower. Honeycrisp, Enterprise, Galarina, Snowsweet, Frostbite, Liberty, and Franklin Cider. All are disease resistant to scab. Honeycrisp is susceptible to cedar apple rust, while the others mentioned have good resistance. The top three on this list to still have a noticeable amount of apples on the trees as of Janurary 15th: Honeycrisp, Frostbite, Galarina, and Franklin Cider. Liberty and Enterprise were good up until late December.

20 years? Thats it? Heck I've been growing 2 years and I'm published in magazines and on the interwebs. :)

Looking forward to your future posts indeed, perhaps a thread heavy on pictures of what all you have?

Welcome Appleman. I hope you share more of your experiences with us "newbies" of the apple world.

Seems like Ben Harper (hopefully got that right) from the other site liked the Galarina for late hangers. Glad to see Applemans mention of Honeycrisp and Enterprise. Fall 2017 should be bumper crop Honeycrisp for me (3 of 4 trees should get me a couple of bushels), maybe I've got to let some hang for testing. I have an Enterprise - should be first year apples on it too. My Goldrush has maybe a dozen still hanging, been dropping slow and steady since end of November.
IMG_0843_zpssirucscc.jpg

IMG_0844_zpsarfikpsl.jpg

Here it was Mid-December:
IMG_0812_zpsmgj4wzef.jpg