Apple trees for Northern ND & N. Minn.

nitro27

5 year old buck +
This was published in local paper today. List of varieties for MN & ND.

* Hazen (Aug. 25). An NDSU introduction. Large, dark red, sweet and mild fruit. Natural dwarf only grows to 12 feet with age. Keeps two to four weeks in refrigerated storage.
* State Fair (Aug. 30). Crisp, juicy, sweet-tart flavor. Stores one month.
* KinderKrisp (Aug. 30). New apple, offspring of Honeycrisp, earlier ripening with smaller-sized fruit ideal for lunchboxes. Very sweet. Stores for up to two months.
* Zestar (Sept. 5). Large fruit, crunchy, nice balance of sweet and tart. Good storage life for an early apple: two months or longer.
* SweeTango (Sept. 5). Medium-large fruit, sweet-tart blend with a hint of spice. Stores three to four months.
* Prairie Magic (Sept. 15). Yellow skin with red blush. Crisp, sweet flesh. Developed in Canada and very winter hardy.
* Sweet Sixteen (Sept. 15). Red, medium-sized fruit with a spicy sweet flavor and rich aroma. Keeps one to two months in storage.
* Honeycrisp (Sept. 25). Crisp flesh with an appealing flavor. Excellent storage life of up to seven months under refrigeration. Not as winter hardy as some varieties for the northernmost third of North Dakota and Minnesota.
* Frostbite (Sept. 30). Intensely sweet, firm and juicy. Very winter hardy. Stores three to four months.
* Haralson (Oct. 10). Longtime favorite for winter hardiness. Enjoyed by those who like tart flavor. One of the best pie apples. Stores four or five months.
* Haralred (Oct. 10). A redder-fruited version of Haralson with similar characteristics.
* Fireside (Oct. 15). Large fruit, sweet with fine-grained flesh. Stores four months.
* Connell Red (Oct. 15). A redder-skinned version of Fireside.
* SnowSweet (Oct. 15). Low acid, sweet flavor. Flesh is amazingly slow to brown when cut, making it valuable for sliced apples. Keeps four months in storage.
* Honeygold (Oct.15). Our winter-hardy answer to Golden Delicious. Crisp and Juicy. Stores three months.

Hazen is one of my wife's favorite apples.
Kindercrisp has been a fast grower for me and I like the apple.
I would add chestnut crab to the list.

Who wrote the article or who is credited for the data? I know Central Lakes Colleges at Staples has some fruit on trial. Grand Rapids used to have some trials in the 90's.

Bergeson Nursery at Fertile, Mn. has an older facebook list of apples suitable for northern Mn. and North Dakota.
I once talked to the elder Mr. Bergeson(who may no longer be in the business.) He had lots of experience and mentioned Trail as a hardy old crab for the northland. Breakey is on their facebook list. I tried topworking with Breakey, yesterday.

Hazen is one of my wife's favorite apples.
Kindercrisp has been a fast grower for me and I like the apple.
I would add chestnut crab to the list.

Who wrote the article or who is credited for the data? I know Central Lakes Colleges at Staples has some fruit on trial. Grand Rapids used to have some trials in the 90's.

Sandbur - Do you know the disease resistance of Kindercrisp? I haven't been able to find any info on that. That's an apple that is on my radar. Thanks!

Nursery owner in Parkers Prairie, MN, Otter Tail County was very high on Fireside Apple. Zero winter kill, and he had a lot of them planted. Really nice size and good eating apples he said.

Sandbur - Do you know the disease resistance of Kindercrisp? I haven't been able to find any info on that. That's an apple that is on my radar. Thanks!
My Kindercrisp has only been in the ground for two years, but I see little cedar apple rust and I have tons of red cedar. I have not had any fruit from my own trees.

If I get the chance, I can talk to the nursery owner who developed the apple.

Planted a Fireside this year. Might be a go to tree for me now.

Good reports from my area in WC MN...Great survival and puts out a lot of apples.

In the 2018 catalog from SLN, they had 10 varieties of the OP's list from post #1. These include Fireside and Haralson.

As Sandbur said in post #4, Trail is a cold-hardy crab variety & has been crossed with Osman to make "Trailman" apple/crab, which is listed as extremely cold-hardy. Zone 3.
Also Kerr is a cross between Haralson & Dolgo crab, and is also listed as extremely cold-hardy. Zone 3.

In the 2018 catalog from SLN, they had 10 varieties of the OP's list from post #1. These include Fireside and Haralson.

As Sandbur said in post #4, Trail is a cold-hardy crab variety & has been crossed with Osman to make "Trailman" apple/crab, which is listed as extremely cold-hardy. Zone 3.
Also Kerr is a cross between Haralson & Dolgo crab, and is also listed as extremely cold-hardy. Zone 3.

My Trailman from SLN is blooming this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have kept this list from Bergeson Nursery near Fertile, Mn. From 2013 of their top ten trees for the north. In order...
Goodland
Chestnut
Zestar
Haralson
Prairie Magic
Wodarz
Breakey
Centennial
HC
Frostbite

I have 6 of those and have given up on HC. Might have one left outback.

The elder Mr. Bergeson told me many years ago that Trail was an old hardy tree for the north country.

I have a Trailman in bloom and again tried to topwork a Trail.

I've seen Goodland, Haralson, Frostbite, Prairie Magic, and Parkland on several websites that are focused on cold-hardy, northern apples. With recommendations from multiple sources, there must be some history / truth to those apples.

Art - Good to hear your Trailman from SLN is blooming. Ours is growing pretty quickly here.

I've seen Goodland, Haralson, Frostbite, Prairie Magic, and Parkland on several websites that are focused on cold-hardy, northern apples. With recommendations from multiple sources, there must be some history / truth to those apples.

Art - Good to hear your Trailman from SLN is blooming. Ours is growing pretty quickly here.

This list indicates the somewhat regional choices in our country. Out east, I see other varieties being discussed more often.

I have kept this list from Bergeson Nursery near Fertile, Mn.
That's where that lady was from that died on her way to Climax, MN.

Of the Apple trees listed I want to plant centennial yet and I want more Kerr and Zestar. Sandbur has mention Norland in other threads as a good cold hardy early season Apple and I want to plant 3+ of those yet too.

While I’m on the line between zone 4 and 5 I’ve learned from experience to just stay away from zone 5 trees as they just don’t do much in my area and rarely produce apples. So I love these threads on cold hardy apples....especially considering some of the brutal cold snaps we get.

Unfortunately I’ve only got room for around 10 more Apple trees...that would give us around 140+ Apple trees on 360 acres.

Of the Apple trees listed I want to plant centennial yet and I want more Kerr and Zestar. Sandbur has mention Norland in other threads as a good cold hardy early season Apple and I want to plant 3+ of those yet too.

While I’m on the line between zone 4 and 5 I’ve learned from experience to just stay away from zone 5 trees as they just don’t do much in my area and rarely produce apples. So I love these threads on cold hardy apples....especially considering some of the brutal cold snaps we get.

Unfortunately I’ve only got room for around 10 more Apple trees...that would give us around 140+ Apple trees on 360 acres.

I will bet that you find room for more than 150 plus trees. I am currently working on adding some more on my 170 acres!

I posted this somewhere way back a few years, but here is a link to a nursery that specializes in cold-hardy fruit trees.

www.hardyfruittrees.ca.

It's a Canadian nursery, and I don't know if U.S. folks can order from them, but at least it's a list of good trees for you guys in the tundra regions. If you click on the heading " Our trees ", pictures come up of apples, plums, cherries, etc. Just click what you want to look at. That'll be $100 for the tip !!!! :emoji_grin:

My Trailman from SLN is on its fourth leath and should have blossoms. It is by far the fastest growing tree I have planted and it is planted in the woods. Probably gets 5-6 hours of sun at most. Got hit hard by aphids late last year so I am interested to see how it bounces back.

My Trailman from SLN is on its fourth leath and should have blossoms. It is by far the fastest growing tree I have planted and it is planted in the woods. Probably gets 5-6 hours of sun at most. Got hit hard by aphids late last year so I am interested to see how it bounces back.

Probably my fastest growing from SLN, also.