Apple Rootstock/Variety Incompatibility

gunfun13

5 year old buck +
I have 100 MM-111 on order for spring and a portion of my scions are coming from GRIN. One variety is Williams Pride, which GRIN notes "
Not recommended on MM- 111 rootstock or under high nitrogen fertilization".
Any ideas why? I see Cummins offers it on MM-111. Are there other problems you guys are aware of between specific root stock and variety types?

I don't know anything about this specific variety. I will say that one kind of compatibility issues that you can have with grafting is a big different in growth rates. I have see trees where the diameter of the tree above the graft is much larger than below the graft. I don't have enough experience with apples to know if it occurs with them. I saw it with grafting hickory and pecan. Another can be an incompatibility where the rootstock will not accept the scion. This occurs frequently when grafting in the chestnut family. Again, I don't have enough experience with apples to know if it applies there.

I'm just identifying some categories of incompatibility in general with grafting. Perhaps the apple guys can give you more info focused on apples.

Thanks,

Jack

The following would be my guess:

According to PRI for William's Pride:
  • Problems: Severe watercore may be a significant problem in some seasons. Slight bitter pit observed in a few seasons. Severe bitter pit was observed on young trees with their first crop on MM-111 rootstock, on very sandy soil, under heavy nitrogen and irrigation. Fruit borne in clusters on short spurs, may tend to be pushed off as they swell, giving some loss to dropped fruit. Slightly coarse flesh texture. Uneven ripening will require two or more pickings.