Chestnut Crab

Scenttrails

5 year old buck +
Just heard back from Cummins Nursery on my 2015 order.
They are out of Chestnut Crab but are recommending Transcendent Crab.
Is this a good crab for west central Wisconsin?
Any other place besides Cummins to order Chestnut Crab?
This is my first apple tree order ever.
Dolgo Crab, antonovka rootstock, grade 11/16
Enterprise, antonovka, feathered
Gold rush, B.118, feathered
Haralson, MM.111, 9/16
Liberty, B.118, feathered

Saint Lawrence Nursery ( SLN ) in Potsdam, N.Y. E-mail add. is trees@sln.potsdam.ny.us Phone # 315 - 265 - 6739. I've ordered trees from SLN over several years and have been very happy. Ask to get on the list for a catalog - it's a good source of apple & fruit info. If you order from them, they send out a 47 page booklet that tells you all you need to know about planting & care of trees. They have Chestnut in their catalog as well as many other apple, crab, and pear trees. Also berries, shrubs, nut trees. Mr. and Mrs. Bill MacKentley are the owners. ( I do not work for them - satisfied customer. )

I ordered my chestnuts last year, I hope I don't get that bad news. I have been trying to reach them for a week now to tweak my order. The transcendant card does look like a winner but it looks like it is only on G30.

Last edited:
I agree NH MTNS. Wickson is a good one. When it comes to deer food, I don't think there's a bad crabapple. People's taste preference - to each his own.

Just heard back from Cummins Nursery on my 2015 order.
They are out of Chestnut Crab but are recommending Transcendent Crab.
Is this a good crab for west central Wisconsin?
Any other place besides Cummins to order Chestnut Crab?
This is my first apple tree order ever.
Dolgo Crab, antonovka rootstock, grade 11/16
Enterprise, antonovka, feathered
Gold rush, B.118, feathered
Haralson, MM.111, 9/16
Liberty, B.118, feathered

Find a local nursery that deals with Bailey's as a supplier. I have been happy with the full size trees from Bailey's and suspect hey are on dolgo or Columbia.

I like chestnut for it's long drop time. Hul's in central Minnesota usually has some very big bare root chestnut crabs.

My suggestion would be order B.118 root stock and graft a number of chestnut crabs. This was my first year grafting - I used a cleft graft which is simple to do - I had only one graft fail, which I believe was due to a bad root stock. I would suggest the same thing for the Enterprise. Best of luck!