Apple ID?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Was out doing some work in the country today and stopped at a place with this apple tree. I was impressed with the output. Any idea what it is? Homeowner just said it was a flowering crab and didn't know any more.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I agree it also looks much like my Kerr crab. Give them a taste and if they are tart sweet I bet Kerr

Whatever it's pedigree, it looks like a winner. A dozen of those would look good at my camp !!!:cool:

I've got a new job where i'm driving the countryside daily and one of the things I'm looking forward to is keeping an eye out for late season hanging apples in the wild. Lots of random apples in the ditches in my new territory. I'm hoping to find that naturally persistent and disease resistant tree out there to get some bud wood for up north.

I've got a new job where i'm driving the countryside daily and one of the things I'm looking forward to is keeping an eye out for late season hanging apples in the wild. Lots of random apples in the ditches in my new territory. I'm hoping to find that naturally persistent and disease resistant tree out there to get some bud wood for up north.
Which state or county?
I have kept my eyes open for years in central/northern Mn.

I cover a triangle that spans Sioux Falls to Sioux City to Jackson, MN.

here is my one of my Dolgo's I call it my Christmas tree as the small red apples make it looks like it has lightsdolgo.jpg

Holy cow, Aero !!! Those 2 trees are ridiculous with apples. We have 3 Dolgo and 2 Kerr - another Kerr coming for spring - so I'm pumped that we may have production like that. The crabs and apple / crab crosses seem to put out LOADS of fruit without much fussing. I mean to get in touch ( PM ) and get up to your place to see what you've got going on in the orchard. You're in great apple country there. Great job Aero !!!

aero- Could you post a picture of an average kerr and dolgo side by side for size comparison?
I would also appreciate any comments on drop time and length of drop time.

anyone know where to order some crab trees or are they easy to graft? Im in need of a few.

How old are the ones in the picture?

Many good places to order bareroot crabs and apples. Crabs are as just easy to graft, if not easier, than regular apples.
A few nurseries I've bought fruit trees from over the years
Adams County Nursery
Cummins Nursery
Burnt Ridge Nursery
Lawyer Nursery
Walden Heights Nursery
Stark Bros. Nursery

I'd buy from any of them again.
Would you like to inform many of the unknowing where you would not buy apple rootstock or scions from?;)

Holy cow, Aero !!! Those 2 trees are ridiculous with apples. We have 3 Dolgo and 2 Kerr - another Kerr coming for spring - so I'm pumped that we may have production like that. The crabs and apple / crab crosses seem to put out LOADS of fruit without much fussing. I mean to get in touch ( PM ) and get up to your place to see what you've got going on in the orchard. You're in great apple country there. Great job Aero !!!
I am in East Smithfield PA in Bradford County and yes it's good Apple country I fuss a lot lol it seems in that I spray, prune and cut the grass around my trees weekly come on over anytime. Just message me and we can make a date to meet

Paul

There is only one nursery I can think of off the top of my head with whom I'd never do business again...for any type of tree/shrub/whatever....that nursery advertises heavily in Quality Whitetails and other outdoor publications. I call the owner "Snake Oil Charlie"
I k ow which one but the trees I got from them are now producing some great apples. For some reason the Japanese Beetles love them

aero- Could you post a picture of an average kerr and dolgo side by side for size comparison?
Theses trees drop early compared to most of my other trees as you might expect as they are almost ripe at this time of year. Maybe another week or 2 and these could all be dropping. They are great pollinators which is why I planted originally but I think I will be using for cider as well

The Kerr is about 20% the size of the Dolgo but the Dolgo has been planted 2 years longer. I think they would be the same to graft as any other tree as the scion size is similar

There is only one nursery I can think of off the top of my head with whom I'd never do business again...for any type of tree/shrub/whatever....that nursery advertises heavily in Quality Whitetails and other outdoor publications. I call the owner "Snake Oil Charlie"

I call him "Buck on Bag Charlie". I'll never buy from anyone that doesn't list the latin name of what I'm buying, too much wiggle room to trick customers that buy into their advertising.

Many good places to order bareroot crabs and apples. Crabs are as just easy to graft, if not easier, than regular apples.
A few nurseries I've bought fruit trees from over the years
Adams County Nursery
Cummins Nursery
Burnt Ridge Nursery
Lawyer Nursery
Walden Heights Nursery
Stark Bros. Nursery

I'd buy from any of them again.

Don't forget our own TurkeyCreek!

The Kerr is about 20% the size of the Dolgo but the Dolgo has been planted 2 years longer. I think they would be the same to graft as any other tree as the scion size is similar
I was referring to the apple size at ripening. I thought kerr would be bigger,but similar as dolgo is a parent.

They seem to be both about the same size. They are about the same now and this is only the second crop of Kerr I had