Apple ID?

They seem to be both about the same size. They are about the same now and this is only the second crop of Kerr I had
Has Kerr dropped later?
I seem to see a bit more CAR on Kerr, but still reasonable.

I always thought Kerr was quite a bit larger than Dolgo, kind of glad to find out they aren't before I planted some.
I had the same impression. At least a longer shape than dolgo.

I had the same impression. At least a longer shape than dolgo.
Correction-centennial is supposed to have a longer shape. Kerr is claimed to be bigger than dolgo.

One thing I can pass on to you guys about crabapples, and I'm no veteran apple expert - I don't see diseases / leaf spots / scars on the crabs like what seem to afflict regular apples. Even a week ago when I went to camp to spray & mow around trees, I was amazed at the over-all look of the crabs. Very, very little leaf damage of any kind. Don't know the reason, but I like it !!! :) I have another Kerr (3rd one ) and a Wickson coming with other apples for spring.

Correction-centennial is supposed to have a longer shape. Kerr is claimed to be bigger than dolgo.
Remember guys I have 1 Kerr crab and its on 4th leaf I believe so I wouldn't take that one example as gospel but seems to me they are the same shape and size. Who knows maybe somebody at Cummins switched tags lol. I will take notice as they continue to geprow. Both trees apples taste similar as well so now you have me wondering if it's really a Kerr?

Stu - We have more crabs than regular apples at my camp - for the " low maintenance " you spoke of. We planted a large variety of apples and crabs for varying drop times, pollination, and to see which varieties do the best for us at our location. If some " crap out " on us, they'll be replaced by good producers. Thanks to the members here and info from Penn State, Cornell, U. Minn., Rutgers and several nurseries, our trees seem to be winners so far.

I don't have a Kerr crabapple producing yet but here's a Centennial crab and a Dolgo crab for comparison.

Centennial%20amp%20Dolgo%208-1-15%20008_zpshs0g8rkn.jpg

Centennial is a delicious fresh eating crab and the Dolgo makes a jam that's fantastic.

Nice Rick !! We have both growing and the Centennial has it's first fruit this year. Really anxious to try it !! The Centennial picked up the pace of growth since last year.

Interesting, Greyphase, that Dolgo is smaller than I was expecting. Is that dolgo from a dolgo seedling or a grafted dolgo?

Interesting, Greyphase, that Dolgo is smaller than I was expecting. Is that dolgo from a dolgo seedling or a grafted dolgo?

It was from a tree that I planted back in 1995. I would guess a grafted tree but I'm not sure.

I would say that pic is accurate. The Kerr may be a bit bigger but will try to post a pic later in the week

Grey - Do the deer hit your Dolgo crabs when they drop ?? Just wondering - I've read that some crabs don't get as much attention from deer, and I don't remember which ones that were mentioned.

They su
Grey - Do the deer hit your Dolgo crabs when they drop ?? Just wondering - I've read that some crabs don't get as much attention from deer, and I don't remember which ones that were mentioned.
they sure do at my place. I put a camera on that tree in the pic and it had a ton of activity

That's great news Aero !! We have 3 Dolgo on Antonovka at camp, so they should get big and be producing big-time for years. One of the reasons I picked Dolgo to plant at our camp is because of the pix and info I learned from you guys on this and the other forum. If our trees produce like the pix I've seen from you and Greyphase and a few others, I'll be real happy - as will the deer !!

Here's Grin's picture of a Wickson:

PI_613818_zpsgpfzkasf.jpg

My tree is too close to the house for the deer to bother. I picked a couple gallons for my sister-in-law to make preserves with. Mine are starting to drop now.

IMG_0614.jpg here is the pic I promised the Kerr is on bottom and the Dolgo on top These were 2 of the bigger apples on each tree and in general the Kerr is slightly larger and the Kerr are dropping now but the Dolgo seem to be hanging tight except when the deer are jumping at them and grabbing them with their mouths

Is it just my eyes, or is it true that each of the apples grown by our forum friends is smaller than the Grin example photos for that cultivar?

For example, Grin's Kerr photo has the width of the apple at approximately 4cm (which is equivalent to 1.57 inches) and Aero's looks to me to be half that size.

Disclaimer, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be!

Not much difference there. Do they both ripen and drop about the same time?
Kerr is dropping now but Dolgo not yet. Maybe within the week though

Is it just my eyes, or is it true that each of the apples grown by our forum friends is smaller than the Grin example photos for that cultivar?

For example, Grin's Kerr photo has the width of the apple at approximately 4cm (which is equivalent to 1.57 inches) and Aero's looks to me to be half that size.

Disclaimer, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be!
Kerr is about an inch and 1/4 by 1 inch so not that far off. I actually got a ruler out after a few wines lol The 1 1/4 is the right to left dimension in my pic and the inch is up and down just to be clear