Anybody ever use a habitat consultant?

I have seen one of Steve's plans and walked the property after looking at it. It was pretty remarkable what he could ID off a topo map. I would not hesitate to use him if I was looking for help or direction. I prefer to try things on my own and don't care if they go wrong, just how I am wired.

I am stuck somewhere between stubborn and desperate at the moment. I appreciate all of your feedback. Lots of knowledge here.

Hopefully this is enough related to this discussion - I just scheduled the forester visit to 40 acres I am buying next week in order to create my stewardship plan. The land is in central MN and having the plan prepared is subsidized by the state and also can get reduced tax treatment. What I am wondering is if anyone has specific recommendations on things to ask about during the site visit? I think some of the things from the list Steve posted are pretty relevant, so will adapt those to some questions, but figured people might have something that isn't obvious they were glad they did / wish they had asked or discussed during a similar process.

Thanks,

Do you have a State forester coming out, or is it a private consultant? Are you planning on enrolling your land in SFIA or the 2C managed tax classification?

Bluecollar,
If you think you need a push in the right direction, a photo evaluation from Steve would be a good place to start. I assure you that the fee he would charge is a mere drop in the bucket compared to what you will spend once your bitten by the habitat bug!

I would agree with Satchmo - IF Steve is still doing photo evaluations that would be the cheapest route to take and still get some "expert" advice. I will say I thought Steve had "retired" from that service, but I may be wrong in that. Steve should be able to be reached via PM here - and he can speak to the services he now provides.

I was looking into a boots on the ground situation and those tend to get significantly more pricey.

I would agree with Satchmo - IF Steve is still doing photo evaluations that would be the cheapest route to take and still get some "expert" advice. I will say I thought Steve had "retired" from that service, but I may be wrong in that. Steve should be able to be reached via PM here - and he can speak to the services he now provides.

I was looking into a boots on the ground situation and those tend to get significantly more pricey.

I think he retired from onsite visits because he could get it like 95% correct with just topos and Aerial photos. But you're right a PM will find out for sure.

J-bird, I have read a lot of your posts that make me think you don't need a consultant. You want to improve your hunting? Move to iowa.

Bluecollar,
If you think you need a push in the right direction, a photo evaluation from Steve would be a good place to start. I assure you that the fee he would charge is a mere drop in the bucket compared to what you will spend once your bitten by the habitat bug!

I am already beyond bitten. Apple trees, plots, spruce plantings, water holes etc. The problem is it was mostly random or "hey theres an opening" lets plant it style improvements. I need some flow and some stand access help. It is obvious which way the deer are going at night and generally where they are headed in the morning. I only have one access point which is tough since I have to go through the deer in the morning to beat them back to the bedding. I just think I could use some solid opinion. The pics are great. The bucks are there. They are all at night but I am sure most guys will tell you that. My place is a pass through to some degree the deer are coming out of a giant block of swamp and going through me to get to the first ag fields. There is some bedding and great cover on the property but I feel mst deer are not bedding in my 40 acres. So I cant say I should focus on cover and I cant outplant the big ag fields either.

I should ad that we are also in an MFL contract so massive changes are probably not gonna fly. I can't go hinging all the high valued timber trees and I don't think I can clear out a big plot either. All plots are micro. 1/4 acre in size.

I don't really think I need that "destination" food on my land at least in one corner as they hit hay, beans or corn as soon as they pass me bye.

One the opposite corner they are gonna have to go through 80 acres of crp before they get to any ag fields. Maybe I should just toss up an aerial an explain the setup. I have cedar, marsh, hardwoods and a big ridge that runs north south splitting the 40 in half. Its not really lacking anything specific as its alot of different habitat in a small woods.

Do you have a State forester coming out, or is it a private consultant? Are you planning on enrolling your land in SFIA or the 2C managed tax classification?
Private forester. Since 35 of the 40 is large/mature trees (mostly maple), I expect some logging or at least heavy thinning by me for firewood will be in order so figured meeting someone who could assist with the timber aspects made sense. Planning to apply for 2c.

I think he retired from onsite visits because he could get it like 95% correct with just topos and Aerial photos. But you're right a PM will find out for sure.
I thought he gave up one of them - you may be right - my memory is crap any more. That was also why I suggested the PM.

I thought he gave up one of them - you may be right - my memory is crap any more. That was also why I suggested the PM.
As of just a few months ago he was still mentioning the photo evals in his articles at times.

I walked with Sturgis for 6 hours on a visit to my friends place. He was very knowledgable. I soaked up everything I could get but the general ideas I had already memorized from his books. I will say that friend shot the exact buck he was after the next season after it snaked down a new skinny/long plot that he suggested. Coincedence maybe but that friend felt the cost was covered right there.

I simply wouldnt pay for the boots on the ground visit. A guy can lay off a thing or three to come up with $500 for the photo eval.

J-bird, I have read a lot of your posts that make me think you don't need a consultant. You want to improve your hunting? Move to iowa.
Thanks - sometimes I think we all have some level of doubt or need some "validation". It's just human nature......to one degree or another.

I play the powerball for a reason......Iowa or Kansas....I have been really impressed with Catscrath's wildlife diversity and bucks that he has! Missouri also seems to have their act together as well.

Thanks - sometimes I think we all have some level of doubt or need some "validation". It's just human nature......to one degree or another.

I play the powerball for a reason......Iowa or Kansas....I have been really impressed with Catscrath's wildlife diversity and bucks that he has! Missouri also seems to have their act together as well.
Screw that. If you win the power ball take on a challenge and come to my neighborhood. The six months of winter and 300" of snow will be a great challenge for your 200 million.

Damn Chummer......300". There are some places on earth that just should not be inhabited. -30 degrees don't look to bad to me now. :)

Could not agree more! Changed our Hunting life moving to Missouri on the Iowa Border!

But that was after 20 years of habitat improvements in MN. Big mistake on my part, I thought I could make things better. I did, but the MN DNR was to tough to work against!

I also think you're doing just fine aside from owning property in another area as suggested above. Sure the consultants may have a better plan but, how much better...15%, 10%? Those guys creating a plan isn't going to make a 170" appear if one isn't there already. Maybe if things are tweaked you see what, a few extra daylight buck sightings each season based on your acreage. You seem to be making the most of your opportunities so I would not sweat it and in fact, many guys paying for a plan are hoping to get their place just to the point if where your are now. If you have to question spending even $500 don't do it but if you do Steve's price is very reasonable.

Could not agree more! Changed our Hunting life moving to Missouri on the Iowa Border!

But that was after 20 years of habitat improvements in MN. Big mistake on my part, I thought I could make things better. I did, but the MN DNR was to tough to work against!

Mo - Have you ever followed up on what you sold in MN to validate staying would have been a stinker for you? I have my place for sale and I think it will be money in 7-8 years. I get pretty attached to what I've done and think I'm going to wanna keep stopping by to see how it works out for the buyer unless I get some crazy person that decides to run horses through there.

Screw that. If you win the power ball take on a challenge and come to my neighborhood. The six months of winter and 300" of snow will be a great challenge for your 200 million.

You lost me at 6 months of winter and 300 inches of snow!!!!:eek: Sorry Chummer, NY state isn't on my list.....sounds like a great place to visit......in the summer time (all 2 months of it)!!!:D I get enough winter and snow right where I am, and it isn't anywhere near what you speak of. I would be looking for a place to hunt deer - which means being outside.....what you describe is conditions that sounds more like a lot of staying inside!:D

Does anyone know if Steve still does the aerial map designs or how to get a hold of him? or does anyone know of someone else does this?