Any Regret major purchases?

Back in the early 80's when I was a kid I collected baseball cards. I'm not sure how, but one of my mom's friends gave me a bunch of uncut sheets of baseball cards from the 60's. I cut them into individual cards with a pair of scissors.............. No telling what something like that would be worth. 😂

In the 1970's.....An old high school buddy told me he sold his baseball cards and bought a new fishing boat with the money. I went directly to my old room in my mother's house and was tearing the place apart looking for my stack of baseball cards from the 50's and60's. I had Mickey, Babe, Pee Wee Reese, Mays, Ted Williams......and many of the stars from back in the day the day.....which I had traded into about a six inch stack of cards. Seems she had thown all that stuff out after I got married. Even my Boy's Life and old Herters catalogs. Alas.

If you all want your baseball card regrets to go away, I still have some of mine if anyone's interested, lol. Mantle, Mays, Robinson....And that's after ruining quite a few due to clothes pins and bicycle spokes

oh yeah, biggest regret was buying a bigger boat the year before my grandson started playing ball. It took me two years to figure out I shouldn't fill the tank, cause it's a bitch draining old fuel out to get in the 1 or 2 trips a year now

In keeping with the thread drift - I'm a big believer on life being magnitudes more enriched by experiences than things, yet I can't kick my gear whore habits.

Since this is in the Tractors and implements forum - those things exist because time is the most valuable commodity. If they can save you time and not lose money, i think they are pretty solid. Tractors and some implements dont get used enough by us food plotters to really hurt their condition so they tend to hold value real well!

Bought a bunch of dot com stocks as a 30 yr old in the late 90s. That was an expensive lesson, but well learned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Was told at a young age that if it "Flies, Floats, or F@#!s... you are better off renting it!
I thought 3 f's meant f*%@ fight or hit the fence, now I know....

I thought 3 f's meant f*%@ fight or hit the fence, now I know....
Lol, just as good of advice both ways!

I bought a fimco 15 gal 2 nozzle boom sprayer first, than a northern tool 41 gal pull behind 7 nozzle second, and a frost inc 7 nozzle boom sprayer 3rd. Would have been better to skip to the frost inc sprayer first!

Generally happier with most of my implements otherwise. I paid premium price for a 5' Land Pride disk. Saw one barely used for $1k less on craigslist shortly after. I think my tractor could have handled a 6' disk too which would have been nice.

Have a 6' flail mower that usually works pretty well but with 28 PTO HP gets bogged down in the real thick and woody stuff. Would have bought the 5' model if it were available when i needed it.

Many thousands of $ in custom rifles that aren't what I currently want. I've been starting to sell some of them at a big loss. I've learned a lot about what I want/prefer through the process though.
Happy to hear that Frost Inc. was the right choice for you!

Does an engagement ring count?

Very possibly ... I have a buddy who has bought 7 of them. They have a lot of hidden costs for maintenance and upkeep. Seems the advertised functions and "benefits" are oversold. Only one has worked so far for him. 😁

Last edited:
Very possibly ... I have a buddy who has bought 7 of them. They have a lot of hidden costs for maintenance and upkeep. Seems the advertised functions and "benefits" are oversold. Only one has worked so far him. 😁
Sounds like maybe he should have taken some of them on longer test drives before purchase!

I thought after the first two or three, they're no longer called engagement rings, but now promise rings.

Very possibly ... I have a buddy who has bought 7 of them. They have a lot of hidden costs for maintenance and upkeep. Seems the advertised functions and "benefits" are oversold. Only one has worked so far for him. 😁
7? Damn. That's expensive. If I ever buy another one it will be for someone that'd be willing to take a ring pop.

I sold a rifle, pistol, and other stuff to raise some money so I could buy us some gold wedding bands. No diamonds, nothing fancy.....but I still needed a jewelry store loan to buy them. Been wearing them for 54 years now. Offered to buy her a better ring on several occasions.....but she is satisfied with the ones we have. Smile.

EDIT: OH....and the guy I sold my 22 rifle to......brought it back to me about 5 years ago. He said he really didn't have the money either at the time ($20) but he knew I needed the money more than him. That rifle is now a safe queen....lol. Nothing fancy....just a cheap Winchester auto loader.......still it's a safe queen.

Sold a couple guns in 2020 when prices went nutty. My 1st shotgun and rifle. Oddly enough, never shot a deer with that marlin 30-30. Miss the 20ga 870 though.

No local places to shoot conviently, except my little 22 range at home.

Make a list of things you think you need now, wait a month. Then see if it's worth it. Putting alot of dumb things on ebay soon. Fishing gadgets, tools for an oddball job, etc...

Make a list of things you think you need now, wait a month. Then see if it's worth it. Putting alot of dumb things on ebay soon. Fishing gadgets, tools for an oddball job, etc...
I kind of have a rule for myself that if I buy something I'm iffy on, it has to have a significant recovery resale price or profit opportunity.

I just sold every gun I owned. Sad but worth it. Some of you lost them in a boating accident. At least I sold all of mine and got money for them!