Any Regret major purchases?

Earthway 3100 (plastic bucket type) Chest spreader. Whoever designed the harness part of it should be thrown off a bridge.
Earthway spreaders are the" Bic razors " of hand spreaders

bill

I bought a Martin Meteor pull snow blower last fall. My main regret is that I only used it once last winter and never really had a chance to get it dialed in.

Having good snow removal equipment and having it sit in my shed is a blessing and a curse! After all those years of freezing on an open station tractor moving too much snow with a bucket and a back blade I really wanted to try out drinking coffee and enjoying cab heat while blowing a couple feet if snow!

Totally get the not cut out to be a landlord thing. Thought about it for years, seen coworkers go nuts doing it themselves. The motto not everything is for everbody holds very true with renting out your possesions.

Been lucky with vehicles, everything I owned hasn't been much of a hassle over the years. Thinking of buying a 2nd car to drive to work on nice days. Probably a waste of money, but its chewing at my brain. Don't say fords are junk........ Dont wanna be jinx my purchase. Saw a 2019 mustang with 18k, and a 2022 with 300 miles. Both ecoboost motors. A little fun on my 50 mile 1 way commute. Wife says get an automatic.

Was very happy to sell my henry H001 22lr lever gun. Something was wrong with that thing. Just puked bullets, like 8-10" groups at 50 yards. Sent it back to henry twice, 2nd time they told me they replaced the barrel. I scratched and X under the barrel. Gun came back with an X under it. Sold it to a hunter safety instructor. Wanted it for lefty's, didnt care it shot lousy. Did everything, changed sights, tried a scope, etc. Something was off in that barrel.

Sold a walnut stocked 30-06 remmington 700. That thing shot great. Wish I had that one back. I'm very cautious at a gun shop, typically avoid them. Easy to fill a safe, tough to empty it.... Got a 450 marlin, a 308, a 30-30, several 22lr's, and 2 20ga pump guns. Would have more, but just don't get the time shooting like I used to.

Started fixing the brake lever on my honda rancher. Striped the screws heads. So, guess the honda recon is a bit useful, atleast this weekend. Need to move a treestand sunday. Might need to drag a deer back too.

mostly cars and trucks when I was younger. so much nicer and more expensive than what I should have done at that point in life. I wasted so much money. I'm over that now on those items and have moved on to others lol....
Purchased a new tractor- could have purchased used.... I love it, but maybe not my smartest buy. my old tractor was fine.
Winchester SX4 that I could not find a choke/shell combo it liked

Man, this question got me to thinking... and I decided I'm a cheap ass! My truck is an 2005 that I paid cash for, my bow is an 08 Bear that I've used every yr since I bought it (not the year it came out of course as that would be just too dang expensive). I don't have a tractor, UTV, or 4 wheeler. My camo came from Walmart and Army Surplus. I bought my cold weather hunting boots in the late 1980's and still use them. I suppose if you don't buy anything you won't have buyer's remorse.

^ I read a good book on investing and "getting ahead" many years ago. I stressed a few points that I am going to state here.

1. Money spent on expensive foods, liquor, vacation travel, entertainment is G O N E.
2. Purchase tangible things of Lasting Value. Money used to purchase real estate, good collectables, and other long-term assets is not really "spent" and can be recovered again....often for a gain. (This is true of land, homes, guns, and even things like tractors.....which last a very long time.)
3. Make a plan.....and Save and invest a portion of your income and keep most of it in equities. (stocks or real estate).
4. When our time is up....it doesn't matter so much. grin.

I bought my cold weather hunting boots in the late 1980's and still use them.

Guess they dont make rubber like they used to! wow.

Mostly vehicles with most of the life run out of them that I hoped I could get more out of. Once blew a set of brake lines during a test drive. Shoulda walked away then.

Put a new double frame under a tanker truck and by the time it was all said and done, I'd have been money ahead rolling the thing off a cliff.

Elimitrax (given as a gift, but I felt bad that he spent money on that)

Most of my real estate regrets were that I was too scared to pull the trigger. If I had, I'd have been way ahead.

2. Purchase tangible things of Lasting Value. Money used to purchase real estate, good collectables, and other long-term assets is not really "spent" and can be recovered again....often for a gain. (This is true of land, homes, guns, and even things like tractors.....which last a very long time.)
I have a little bit of a disagreement with number 2. Much of my "good collectables" and real estate will never be sold. Case in point; my wife has a Jordan rookie card, it's worth quite a bit. She loved Jordan and will never sell it. My guns are good collectables, but I will never sell them. If unwilling to sell that stuff then it is money "spent" and unrecoverable!

I have a little bit of a disagreement with number 2. Much of my "good collectables" and real estate will never be sold. Case in point; my wife has a Jordan rookie card, it's worth quite a bit. She loved Jordan and will never sell it. My guns are good collectables, but I will never sell them. If unwilling to sell that stuff then it is money "spent" and unrecoverable!
But it has value to your heirs....and if you were in dire straights (love their music) you could sell those things thus recovering at least a part of your investment...maybe more. Not so with travel or expensive dining out......<----those monies are gone.

I've got some lever action rifles I have collected over time. It's hard to part with them....as I enjoy them very much. I do plan to give them away to my family......so they can enjoy them too....or perhaps sell them (hope not). I feel that when you give something away......you should not attach strings to those items (at least not tight strings). lol It helps if the recipient wants those items.

Last edited:
Not a regret buy but a regret sell. Had a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card. Sold it back in the late 70s. It wasn’t mint but probably worth 6 figures nowadays. Sold it for under 500 bucks to buy something stupid. Can’t even remember what it was.

Not a regret buy but a regret sell. Had a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card. Sold it back in the late 70s. It wasn’t mint but probably worth 6 figures nowadays. Sold it for under 500 bucks to buy something stupid. Can’t even remember what it was.
THAT SUCKS!!!

Foggy, I'm certainly the kind of guy that wants something "in hand" after spending money. It's like pulling teeth for my wife to get me to travel. But to be honest many of my fondest memories with the wife have been from trips. I still hate spending money like that.

Foggy, I'm certainly the kind of guy that wants something "in hand" after spending money. It's like pulling teeth for my wife to get me to travel. But to be honest many of my fondest memories with the wife have been from trips. I still hate spending money like that.
Yeah.....I'm just expounding on a buncha bull.....and life does not revolve solely on financial values. We got a travel catalog today.....and been eying some of those trips too. They do create memories and feel of value to us too.

Yeah.....I'm just expounding on a buncha bull.....and life does not revolve solely on financial values. We got a travel catalog today.....and been eying some of those trips too. They do create memories and feel of value to us too.
We're going to New York City this winter for a big anniversary. I'm dreading spending the money and missing some hunts. But I bet I love it when it's all said and done. The wife's pretty smart and usually ends up being right (even though she usually doesn't say "told ya so" I have to give her credit).

You're probably eying a trip to KS aren't ya!

Last edited:
I still have a vintage Jordan beach towel that's never been used or gotten wet. I think the new world record pumpkin from MN this year was named Jordan. I considered offering the towel to the grower for a couple seeds. I have the Mark McGwire USA rookie card and remember sitting in my room in college and watching them sell on QVC for like 1200 bucks. They're going for like 69 cents right now. My mom likes to regale us with her story of owning a Mantle rookie which her mom threw in the trash in a drunken rage, way back in the day.

Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight.

It's probably a great rifle for hunting in western North America, but It's not great for the climate of the North Atlantic. Luckily I got it for a song.

...aaaaaand the magazine spring just broke, adding further regret to this purchase.

Should have just bought another Savage Axis. Love those rifles.