Antler trap builds

*Hawaii5joe*

5 year old buck +
Has anyone ever built an antler trap deer feeder? Looking for plans, suggestions, recommendations , experiences, and definitely some photos.

I've wanted to make one the last few years as well. Haven't gotten around to it.

I've seen pictures of contraptions with corn below and chicken wire above it.

Be very careful with your construction so as to rule out entrapment. Also only put it out when bucks are for sure dropping so antlers will just pop off and not allow entrapment.

Be very careful with your construction so as to rule out entrapment. Also only put it out when bucks are for sure dropping so antlers will just pop off and not allow entrapment.
You are right about that Phil... That's why I'm seeking as much info as I can on the construction of this.

Never tried one. But if I was to try, it would be built with bungee cord. That way if they weren't ready to drop the deer could pull away.
This from a kid that let his older bro tie dental floss a tooth and to a door knob and slam the door.

This from a kid that let his older bro tie dental floss a tooth and to a door knob and slam the door.

Did it come out??????????

I like the bungee idea also. I've never built one (we can't bait in IL), but I think bungee stretched over some corn might produce results. Pretty safe regarding entrapment too.

i've seen some people use an old tire with tee posts driven in the ground around the outside edge of the tire. then bungees or balers twine can be tied at intervals around the tee posts. then you just dump some corn around the tire and in the tire. when deer reach their head in between the tee posts and the bungees the posts or the bungees can knock a loose antler off. I think this format can be modified enough to have enough play in it that a deer wont become entangled.

NO, Hurt like h@ll. wasn't ready it fell out a few days later. True story.
OUCH :eek:

I knew a kid that made one back in high school, never heard how it turned out. He made a feeder that bucks would have to reach a little further in for feed and their antlers would hit a board running horizontal, so it would be safer than catching them on chicken wire or something like that. The theory sounded good, but no idea if it worked out.

Has anyone ever built an antler trap deer feeder? Looking for plans, suggestions, recommendations , experiences, and definitely some photos.

Guy in our coop (Seen) built one. No horns over last couple winters in it. I think he even shingled the bugger. Bungees cords and a watering tank with 'U's cut in sides so they can reach the bottom of the trough.

i've known 3 people that have concocted these contraptions and not one of them has ever produced a shed. Of those 3 people i think that each one of them used their shed trap for one season and never again. If you think about it, its a needle in a haystack proposition. Antler that is loose enough to be bumped off like that, is just as likely to fall off as a buck walks, walks through some low hanging brush/branches, jumps a log, lays down, stands up....all of which could happen before or after the 15 mins he spent each eating at the trap. I think once that connection starts to break down its a pretty fast process and a short amount of time until that antler falls.

I"ve heard of putting corn out around a huge tree, put it right next to the tree so when a decent buck goes to eat he will bump his horns on the tree, and if they are loose there they lay. I've never tried it, but thought it would be a decent idea.

I was thinking this was illegal in MN (I realize not all of you are from MN). Did the rules on this change?
Not trying to be internet police here just curious to see if the rules had changed.

I've always been under the impression that they don't actually get loose, they just fall off when it is time.

With that said, I've never built one but one yr I put a pile of corn in a really thick staging area (right after I saw my first half rack of the yr). I found 13 shed within 30 meters of that pile that spring. Best shed hunting ever for me. All of them were in the cover and I think the combination of staging area and immediate food just kept them in there for long periods of time.

I was thinking this was illegal in MN (I realize not all of you are from MN). Did the rules on this change?
Not trying to be internet police here just curious to see if the rules had changed.

I did not know that, I searched the hunting regulations and did not see it mentioned but I found the state statute:

97B.22 COLLECTING ANTLER SHEDS.
(a) A person may take and possess naturally shed antlers without a license.
(b) A person may not place, arrange, or set equipment in a manner that is likely to artificially pull, sever, or otherwise cause antlers of live deer, moose, elk, or caribou to be shed or removed.

I would be always concerned something unexpected could happen and finding a deer all tangled up in something I put out would make me feel just awful.

I would be always concerned something unexpected could happen and finding a deer all tangled up in something I put out would make me feel just awful.
When I was a kid I fished at a place that sometimes had pelicans. It was fun to take the treble hooks off of a large top water lure and swim it past them. They would chase it and eventually scoop it up. A swift yank and it would pop out of their mouth and the chase was on again. This was fun until one got tangled and broke off with many ft of line in tow. I don't know if it ever got untangled but it was one of those lessons that makes you think of possible consequences of your actions.