Annual gypsum recommendation: Suspended

@Mortenson did you ever receive your glyphosate from solutions store? We placed the orders back in January and I’ve yet to receive mine. I emailed in February and they said it was still on back order and I could cancel for a refund. I’m calling bs at this point, no way they haven’t received 5 gallons in 6 months for me. They put us on the back burner in order to sell at higher costs. I’m about to back out.

I stocked up on Gly last fall when I first got wind that the prices would be increasing. It had only gone up to $65/2.5 gal then. I thought it was gouging then but I don't regret it now.

IMG_7732.jpg

I don't believe I will be buying any ag-lime or fertilizer for my food plots ever again. I applied ag-lime a little heavier than recommended in 2014 and all of my plots are still between 6.9 - 7.5 pH. Calcium and Magnesium are both right up there also. Just beginning my 7th year of no-till and cover cropping. It is really starting to pay off...

IMG_7441.jpg

Eventually. I have to make topsoil from scratch on most of my plot space, so a crop like that takes a little while. I dug a pond in 2019 and have been growing on those deep spoils since. The clover is nice and lush, but it's been tougher to get the grains to really flourish. I got a good stand of spring wheat last fall, so I've got hopes this season my winter wheat crop will be able to punch through and make it to full potential.

It is the soluble calcium in gypsum that is "loosening up" compacted soils. Look into cement kiln dust, or ckd, as some refer to it. It has higher soluble calcium and is cheaper than gypsum. It is going to be finer and would require lime application equipment for spreading, but it is a great product for what you are looking to accomplish.

I know I should be liming the foodplots. it has been decades since I have done it or even had a soil test done. My neighbor hauled a load of chicken manure on one plot last spring and it did great. Both plots got chicken manure this year.

We use chicken manure on the garden and it seems to be the best thing for these soils.

Does chicken manure adjust pH a bit as compared to dairy pit manure or solid cow manure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i farmed, we had to only spread chicken manure every couple years because the ph would get too high.

I got a good stand of spring wheat last fall, so I've got hopes this season my winter wheat crop will be able to punch through and make it to full potential.
Just a question for a non-farmer ......... What's the difference between "winter wheat" and "spring wheat"???? We plant winter wheat in the fall for fall / winter / early spring deer chow. Is it just WHEN you plant the wheat?? Thanks for any insight.

TSC had it for 134$/2.5 gal Athens,Texas!!!!!!!
EVERYONE'S jumping on the price-gouging bandwagon - even if their raw materials and sources haven't changed. We've seen it here with companies who've had no supply interruptions. GREED = old as dirt. Not all high prices are legit.

Just a question for a non-farmer ......... What's the difference between "winter wheat" and "spring wheat"???? We plant winter wheat in the fall for fall / winter / early spring deer chow. Is it just WHEN you plant the wheat?? Thanks for any insight.
That's a murky question, because there's a third one as well.

Spring wheat can be planted and finish in one growing season.
Winter requires a vernalization (winter) to produce a seed head and finish.
Facultative wheat can be spring planted and finish in the same season, or be fall planted and come back like a winter wheat.

SD -
How does spring-planted wheat do in competing with spring / summer weeds?? Any spraying / babying required??

SD -
How does spring-planted wheat do in competing with spring / summer weeds?? Any spraying / babying required??
By itself, not great. If you plant it in a mix, you'll have a better chance at not losing it to weeds or needing to fertilize.

@SD51555 ,

It's much cheaper by the ton.. :emoji_wink: