Annual gypsum recommendation: Suspended

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I ran to the 'nards over lunch to pick up some solo cups for potting my started plants, a couple trays to put those cups in, a few electrical boxes to put power under my fish cleaning table, and a bag of potting soil. I decided to run past the gypsum pallet to see how bad that's getting. $9.50/bag up here. Then I went and paid $4.80 for gas.

I've about had my fill of this inflation bullshit. I am suspending my standing annual gypsum recommendation. Time to make it go on clover, straw, sunlight, and worm turds.

It's bad all over. I paid $39 for a 50 lb bag of 17-17-17 last week. Can't afford not to fertilize brassicas later this summer but the cereal grain plot might go w/o.

I bought 400 lbs at Menards on Sunday for $5.99 a bag. They rang up $7.99 though. Still had last years tag displayed that they honored. 50 lb bag of AMS, 2 bags of triple 17, and a bag of UREA was $132 at the local elevator.

Gypsum was $4.99 a bag at Atwoods one year ago

bill

Add 41% glyphosate to the list. $89 for 2.5 gallon concentrate. I recall paying $35 for the same brand/size last time I bought it oof.

Add 41% glyphosate to the list. $89 for 2.5 gallon concentrate. I recall paying $35 for the same brand/size last time I bought it oof.
Where are you finding it for $89?

I'm trying to work up a plan for earth moving this summer, and I just don't know how much I want to bite off. I have to imagine equipment rental is going to be up. Delivery costs will be up. Fuel will be up.

I've got about a quarter acre of plot to add on to an existing one. That'll need lime and gypsum. There may be a few things that don't get done this year. I'm already on track to have about 4x more food than last year, so this plot addition isn't critical. However, how bad will conditions be next year? Member how good we had it in 2021?

One side of me says scale back and keep it simple. One side of me says get it done before everything collapses completely. What to do?

I'm trying to work up a plan for earth moving this summer, and I just don't know how much I want to bite off. I have to imagine equipment rental is going to be up. Delivery costs will be up. Fuel will be up.

I've got about a quarter acre of plot to add on to an existing one. That'll need lime and gypsum. There may be a few things that don't get done this year. I'm already on track to have about 4x more food than last year, so this plot addition isn't critical. However, how bad will conditions be next year? Member how good we had it in 2021?

One side of me says scale back and keep it simple. One side of me says get it done before everything collapses completely. What to do?

I have never limed or added gypsum to a plot. Are my plots perfect, no, but the deer like them. Sometimes I think we get obsessed with the perfect at the risk good. Why obsess with farming practices on 500-1000 acres when planting 2-3 acres of food plots?

Be a real risk taker and completely upset the universe ... KISS!

I have never limed or added gypsum to a plot. Are my plots perfect, no, but the deer like them. Sometimes I think we get obsessed with the perfect at the risk good. Why obsess with farming practices on 500-1000 acres when planting 2-3 acres of food plots?

I only do it to get the first crop going before the soil sets like concrete. Once I've got a crop canopy, that ground is almost on auto-pilot. In the past I'd been applying a couple hundred pounds of gypsum per acre. Once I see that full strength cereal stand, I know I've got the nutrient cycle locked up and there's no more need to add anything ever again.

Without that lime, you could lose a cell phone down a crack in my clay.

Ditto. Never spent a dime in lime or fertilizers.

I wanted to gypsum hard around our pond and the new yard area because it is mostly just heavy clay. At these prices gypsum is going to have to wait awhile...more important directions for my limited funds to go with all the projects I have this year.

I called a local elevator in far western MN today about soluble AMS. $18.36 for 51 pounds. One bag lasts me a couple years.

I haven’t fertilized in 3 or 4 years this year I did. The limiting factor on my property is quality food. I have the best cover. Sure my food plots get used but they certainly are not the draw they could be. There are times when I feel like I am just wasting money. Planting just to plant. I spend enough on trees, seed, and equipment. A few more dollars just doesn’t bother me.

I echo SDs sentiment on losing a cell phone in the cracks except I could lose a small UTV in some of my cracks. My soil is either too wet, too hard, or too dry. I read an article today pointing out some factors about compost being better than gypsum as a soil amendment. Not sure if that would apply to a no till situation but I have a few areas I messed up with a disc years ago that may get some compost before fall planting. I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed with the perfect couple acres but I have always thought anything worth doing is worth overdoing. I need some type of ROI on these plots and so far I have not been getting it. A field full of happy deer would certainly tip the scales.

I called a local elevator in far western MN today about soluble AMS. $18.36 for 51 pounds. One bag lasts me a couple years.
You don’t want soluble AMS you want sprayer grade AMS. Soluble AMS will clog your sprayer and then some. I bought soluble the first year and it took me awhile to figure out what was happening.

You don’t want soluble AMS you want sprayer grade AMS. Soluble AMS will clog your sprayer and then some. I bought soluble the first year and it took me awhile to figure out what was happening.
Your right.

Where I lived in NE Texas was infamous for the black gumbo causing problems with house slabs cracking and shifting from the amount of swelling and shrinking. Locals advised the new folks to water their foundations during the dry months.

See similar message about to help with those soils to add organic matter and than add even more. One garden site talks about 6 to 8 inches.

Where I lived in NE Texas was infamous for the black gumbo causing problems with house slabs cracking and shifting from the amount of swelling and shrinking. Locals advised the new folks to water their foundations during the dry months.

See similar message about to help with those soils to add organic matter and than add even more. One garden site talks about 6 to 8 inches.
If I had the ability to acquire and spread about 4" of wheat or rye straw onto my soil, I wouldn't buy a single soil amendment. I'd spread my blend, cover it in straw, and then count the money.

TSC had it for 134$/2.5 gal Athens,Texas!!!!!!!

bill