Angle Iron Frame Disc vs. Tube Frame

B

BJE80

Does anyone have problems using the angle iron frame discs? Would you try and only buy the tube frame ones? Or would this not be part of your decision process when looking to buy a disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot depends on the thickness and dimension of the angle iron..For the most part tubular frame will be much stronger..Both must meet specs though for strength.

I would think weight would be a big difference.

I would think weight would be a big difference.

From my understanding the tube ones are much much stronger. I'm sure they weigh more too. Has anyone actually twisted up a angle iron one under normal operating conditions? I don't know.

I would be talking about like the King Kutter ones. They make a couple of angle iron ones and a tube frame one. The tube frame is more expensive. for sure. Or a used disc I can find. Most out there appear to be angle iron from what I've found so far.

We bought an angle iron disc about four years ago. It held up well when we pulled it with an ATV. When we started using a tractor, we destroyed it in one summer. It bent all out of shape. I guess it bounced over things when we were using it without a lot of weight on it. Once we put weights on it for the tractor, it couldn't handle it. The idea was to use the tractor to get more done quickly. We have been without one for two years now but don't miss it doing mostly no till prep work. I would suggest that you look at your soil first. If it has a lot of rocks get a box frame. If it is decent soil without rocks and large roots, an angle iron one might hold up if you take some care.

We bought an angle iron disc about four years ago. It held up well when we pulled it with an ATV. When we started using a tractor, we destroyed it in one summer. It bent all out of shape. I guess it bounced over things when we were using it without a lot of weight on it. Once we put weights on it for the tractor, it couldn't handle it. The idea was to use the tractor to get more done quickly. We have been without one for two years now but don't miss it doing mostly no till prep work.

That is my concern right there. Good info.

We've been around this block Brad, so you already know my opinion. That disc you posted above was too much money for that piece of equipment, I see them listed for cheaper than that all the time. Keep looking, you will find a deal eventually.

If you look close it appears that there has been some welding repairs on it.

No way. It says it is "Well built". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been around this block Brad, so you already know my opinion. That disc you posted above was too much money for that piece of equipment, I see them listed for cheaper than that all the time. Keep looking, you will find a deal eventually.

I know. As I keep my eyes open the purpose of this thread was to decide if I should eliminate all or most angle iron frame ones and really try and get a tube one. See what I am saying?

I am in no rush and like I said, momma said "cool it" for a little while. :)

I have a 14 foot angle iron IH that eats rocks and spits them all over the place. Broke a blade last year but the frame is a tank. Only gave 800 for it and I gave my buddy the wings and he made 2 smaller 3 pts with tube frames. Keeep shopping.

My BIL has a KK angle frame 6' disk.....and I have a KK 6' Box Frame disk. His is pretty bent up after a small amount of work.....and mine will last for a long time. Some of the bigger, well known brands may hold up.....but the smaller, low priced disks will not take much abuse. Pay a little more and buy a box frame disk.....IMO.

My BIL has a KK angle frame 6' disk.....and I have a KK 6' Box Frame disk. His is pretty bent up after a small amount of work.....and mine will last for a long time. Some of the bigger, well known brands may hold up.....but the smaller, low priced disks will not take much abuse. Pay a little more and buy a box frame disk.....IMO.

Enough said. Thanks Foggy.

I spent allot of time researching small disks. I was looking for a disk that could really penetrate the soil and be a primary tillage tool for breaking new ground. Found that a narrow box frame disk was just the ticket for doing this kinda work. I had some heavy weight on my frame to start.....and would sink the disk to the hubs. After time.....I removed the weight and just made a few more passes if needed. Probably didnt need to till as deep as I initially thought to get the soil properly worked.

I like a 3 point mounted disk for making trails thru the timber. Mine is just wider than my tractor. Easy to get around with.....just pick it up and move. ;)

I am happy with the better KK products for my low-volume food plot work. If you are working ten acres or so each year.....there is little reason to buy top shelf implements IMO. Still.....if I can find the top-shelf brands "used".....that date back to the 50's / 60's.....those implements are generally pretty good stuff.

I have 2 angle frame discs and one is a TOTAL POS while the other is time tested and just keeps on giving. The POS was bought new - I broke a weld and the blades would bend - yes bend - not break. I went thru half a dozen blades. The grease fitting fell out of the bearing housing and all sorts of issues - just imported junk. The one I use now is older than I am and just keeps on - keep'n on. I got it and my 2 bottom plow for free. Lots of advantages to the tube frame models - but they are more expensive.

I wouldn't sell that POS to someone I didn't like - it will end up in the scrap yard one of these days - once I pull my replacement higher quality blades off of it.

I bought a little tubed ATV disc that is pure garbage. All my atv implements have proven almost worthless. Give me a disc with so much rust I cant tell if its red or green power and it will outlast me. Dont care if its tubed or angled as long as its rusty.

I bought a little tubed ATV disc that is pure garbage. All my atv implements have proven almost worthless. Give me a disc with so much rust I cant tell if its red or green power and it will outlast me. Dont care if its tubed or angled as long as its rusty.
Yep......BUT your using higher HP, AG-Rated disks....which have been designed to cover lots of ground.....year after year. Many of us Po-Folk want little disks that can be pulled behind compact tractors. It's hard to find good 6' wide disks - built from angle iron - that will last. The newly made, small size, box frame disks are better property than the angle frame ones.....I rest my case. ;)

The one I use and don't have an issue with is an old rusty one as well - that's so funny. Rusty but trusty!

It is pretty hard to beat a lot of that old iron with anything even remotely modestly priced that is made today. Every piece of equipment we had was at least 40-50 years old, including the 1949 Farmall H we used to pull them with.