An unpleasant finding

Real similar for me with M111 last year. Weird thing was that every tree I grafted died. I planted 4 of them about 20’ away to establish stool beds and those all lived. Who knows....

Your not alone. Ron Joyner at Big Horse Creek Farm suffered almost total failure two years in a row with MM111 rootstock. No problems with M7 or MM106. He's replaced MM111 with Antonovka. He had no clue as to what the problem was but could not afford to lose large amounts of trees.

I just read on Facebook of many failures of grafts occurring in Canada and the US. They are not sure why. I am not sure if they are referring to new grafts or older trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only had one failure out of 47 grafts on m111 rootstock last year, my rootstock came from Cummins, I wonder if there was bad rootstock from somewhere?
f320252f31df7fa9168caaf102a8fcd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I grafted 25 on M111 from Cummins last year and just had 3 or 4 failures.

I had probably 10-15 failures on m111 last year too my roots came from williamette nursery. I ended up getting seedlings from them this year since they are cheaper.

I just read on Facebook of many failures of grafts occurring in Canada and the US. They are not sure why. I am not sure if they are referring to new grafts or older trees.

Evidently in Science magazine,3-22-2019, page 1259. I don’t have access to the magazine. Article by Erik Stokstad.

Great success experienced by Mahindra and Barndog. So no common denominator yet. Mine came from Cummins last year. But some of my issues were: 1st time grafter, felt I may have over watered my resting grafts, found a few Jap grubs on roots of deceased rootstocks, used city water, healed in miracle-gro potting soil, fruit in same fridge as my stored scions. Not sure if all or any of that mattered. Goal is to get called up from the grafting tee-ball team to instructional league next week...