Am I the only land mgr without a SxS

Turkish

5 year old buck +
Curious if any other folks out there are managing their property without a UTV, side-by-side? I have an ATV but see a lot more herbicide application and some prescribed burning in my future. I can definitely see the benefits of more payload and power steering. Some of the gurus like Land and Legacy even make out like UTVs should be a higher priority than a tractor.

I’ve been looking hard at used (and some new) UTVs, but, gracious! Even well used ones on marketplace are expensive. Are these folks on marketplace getting close to asking price?

Last edited:
Curious if any other folks out there are managing their property without a UTV, side-by-side? I have an ATV but see a lot more herbicide application and some prescribed burning in my future. I can definitely see the benefits of more payload and power steering.

I’ve been looking hard at used (and some new) UTVs, but, gracious! Even well used ones on marketplace are expensive. Are these folks on marketplace getting close to asking price?

Don’t own one but do use one. In fact I’ll be replacing an A arm tomorrow on it. Hit a stump last weekend. Hope I don’t run into anything else wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the farm my brother and I just bought, we also picked up an older 3/4 ton F-150 that had low mileage (~60,000) for around $4K. We would have even bought it if it was a grand or two more because I think a farm truck is more practical than a UTV. Higher towing and hauling capacity, better comfort features, safer for driving on the road, and it might even be easier to register/insure. Downsides: It doesn't have the same turning radius (i.e. using it as a sprayer), has a wider base so it could limit access, and in the long run it may be more expensive per hour of use for maintenance and upkeep (this is true for any vehicle comparisons).

On my parent's place a couple of miles away, we have a UTV and a couple of ATVs. They work great, but it is exceptionally rare when a UTV or ATV would work better than a truck.

For the farm my brother and I just bought, we also picked up an older 3/4 ton F-150 that had low mileage (~60,000) for around $4K. We would have even bought it if it was a grand or two more because I think a farm truck is more practical than a UTV. Higher towing and hauling capacity, better comfort features, safer for driving on the road, and it might even be easier to register/insure. Downsides: It doesn't have the same turning radius (i.e. using it as a sprayer), has a wider base so it could limit access, and in the long run it may be more expensive per hour of use for maintenance and upkeep (this is true for any vehicle comparisons).

On my parent's place a couple of miles away, we have a UTV and a couple of ATVs. They work great, but it is exceptionally rare when a UTV or ATV would work better than a truck.
That’s interesting. In these parts I can’t see being without a machine that can snake around in the timber if need be. But I have caught myself looking at used 4x4 trucks and Jeeps on occasion.

I agonized over getting a basic four wheeler. I just put an $80 front rack on it last weekend after 5 years.

You can always do more with more equipment, but I have to be drug kicking and screaming before I give up on finding another way before getting more equipment.

I have a truck, three tractors, and a sxs. Strictly time spent on the land, the SxS wins by a large margin. I rarely use my truck on the land other than going to get supplies in town. It is a rare day I dont use my sxs.

Also, it may depend on your land. My hand is hard on equipment - a truck or tractor will not go a lot of places on my land except when it is dry

IMG_8989.jpegIMG_3582.jpeg

I don't own one but I have 2 regular 4 wheelers.
A sxs is too big to fit in the back of my pickup and too big and clumsy for a lot of the tight and steep areas I can get a 4 wheeler to. I need to be able to shift my body weight from side to side to keep the wheel side down when I go on deer retrieval missions up on these ridges. When I get them buried, I can push and hit the throttle at the same time as well.

I know a lot of older guys really like the ease of getting in and out of a sxs and I don't blame them. They probably aren't trying to get to the type of areas I am taking a 4 wheeler to so that's also likely not an issue for them. I could see me gong that route someday but for now I'll stick with something more nimble in the woods and use the pickup to go to town.

I have a sxs and 4 wheeler. When my sxs was down for a bit and I exclusively had to use the four wheeler to do projects I never knew how much I missed the sxs. The bed is a such a tool.

But as far as just riding around I prefer the 4 wheeler

I don’t need one. A small pickup is perfect for me.

It may be minimal, but sxs’s are farm tax exempt in Kansas. A small pickup is not. My dad got one about a year ago and I find myself stealing it OFTEN! It’s on our short list.

One of those items we should have bought sooner than we did. We also have two dogs that are with us all the time. They LOVE riding in the SxS.

image000000(8).jpg

I wish I had one. I've got an old 4 wheeler. It's most important function is plowing our driveway, but the push button start no longer works, brakes are shot, something squeals like hell, and it keeps burning up solenoids. No money for repairs. It's got to last at least one more winter. At bonus time I'll have to choose between a new 4 wheeler or zero turn mower.

I started with an ATV and added the SXS a few years later. Still have both, but the ATV has been relegated to driveway spraying around the house with a little spray tank. A half day spraying pasture with the ATV would wear my ass out trying to turn with one hand and holding a wand in the other, and general manhandling that is required on low speed turns. With the SXS I can easily spray 200 gallons in a couple hours.
The SXS, like the ATV is way, way better than a truck if you don't want to rut up trails or pasture. My old F350 with the heavy 7.3 diesel will rut up wet ground like nobody's business. I would imagine 90% of the farmers around here have a SXS or even several.

I do most of my stuff with either a gorilla cart or my ice fishing sled. Sometimes I am able to drive my truck into the woods, but its a bit rare. I brought 90 bags of mulch towards the center of my property with the truck last weekend and then I move them down narrow deer trails with the gorilla cart. Keeps me young. Have rented a skid loader a few times. Some day I will have a jacked up golf cart and a john Deere tractor with implements.

IMG_2568.JPGIMG_8482.JPG

90's air cooled 2 stroke atv for me. Great for cruising or flying around when in the mood. Not so great for pulling a drag or even idling around with a pull behind spreader. Paired with a beater trailer for hauling saws, seed, fertilizer, trapping supplies, etc. it gets the job done.

An inordinate number of people die and get seriously hurt doing super ordinary stuff in side by sides. When I say that it’s immediately dismissed and no one talks about it. Not worth it.

Land owners need tractors and trucks. Just my opinion.

I've been watching facebook marketplace for the poor man's quad. (old riding mower with no deck)
Of course it would live outside in the woods year round so it probably wouldn't do well.

I want to find a toyota tacoma for my control burn tank as it doesn't fit well in my 570.But we use a SxS all the time.The bed is the handy part.I Did just build a carrier for tractor for chainsaw etc so that helps also