Alfalfa in Fall blend for Fall planting

WKyGasDoc

5 year old buck +
considering adding Alfalfa to my usual fall blend (ladino,Crimson clover, WR, WW, rape) Any recommendations on how much? Would you add it? Any other additives/options

Lol, you may not like this answer but add as much as you can afford to add. That's my philosophy with alfalfa anyway.
I agree completely. I thought I was being aggressive at 50% of my perennial legume blend last year, and it wasn't enough. The 25% of white clover I put in there took 98% of the space. I'm considering adding alfalfa to my throw and mow each year until I get it showing up in better densities.

8#/acre?

Alfalfa usually struggles mightily if your pH is wonky. Just in case you have not already accounted for that, it would be fairly wasteful to add a bunch of alfalfa seed to your mix. Otherwise, I agree, add as much as you want cuz it takes a bit longer to get going than something like crimson clover.

Just had the fields limed….what ph does A need?

It needs to be close to neutral. 6.5-7ish.
I've found that in a mix alfalfa can go unnoticed until heat/dry knocks back the clover or even after a few years and the clover starts to thin. Any conditions that weakens the clover lets the alfalfa shine.

Been talking with a buddy about this a lot recently. I feel like alfalfa is underutilized as a food plot. Beans seem to be king, and rightfully so, but alfalfa has to be a close second. I have a 9 acre section of my row crop portion that I’m considering turning into an alfalfa field.

Yes I agree, Howbout, I know its a great food for deer, but I always thought it was not a good fall plot and died off after first frost.

Yes I agree, Howbout, I know its a great food for deer, but I always thought it was not a good fall plot and died off after first frost.
I was intrigued by your title…I’ve heard you can plant it in the fall or spring but never really knew it to be a fall crop per se. I was going to look into planting it in the spring. Trying to convince my farmer to do it. I feel like the benefits of having on the landscape 365 days (albeit not always being used) is better than beans for a short portion of the year and waaayyyy better than corn.

I have been planting alfalfa for a few years, and have found it to be a key attraction for mid September into early October. It’s also about 3x taller than my clover in that same blend post-mow right now. It seems to fit in the schedule after acorns and before clover.

b4f6906278963bcdf17a705a9fcd18fa.jpg

d6fa2a8994ebca0f0dc9c79b2c1f4e0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much to drill in a mix of clover, WR, WW…maybe some PTT and DER. I was thinking 10/ acre…Because I have 1 bag and gonna use it up

I’m doing 10 on alfalfa and 3 on chicory mixed with clovers and WR.

I have a plot all ready and my seed will be in tomorrow, I am also overseeding a bean field and the other 2 plots will get WW.Also looks like unless we alot of rain in next month I will be drilling WW into my double season beans that haven't done much because lack of rain.Just usually have to mow alfalfa about every 30 days and get the thatch off so it doesn't kill it.Also make sure theres no low spots that will hold water.

I did 10# of white clover, 2# of alfalfa, and 3# of chicory 45 days before first frost date. All 3 are coming in great after 4weeks.

PH = 6.6
250# / acre of 5-14-42

Well gonna drill today, Have 7 ac total of small killing plots , they will get WW, WR, Alf, crimson/ladino clover, rape, PTT….. 4 acre plot will get something else later after mowed. Prob brassicas and clover ……I used to do brassica mix alone and WW/clover mix solo….This year trying alfalfa and WR in the mix

Been talking with a buddy about this a lot recently. I feel like alfalfa is underutilized as a food plot. Beans seem to be king, and rightfully so, but alfalfa has to be a close second. I have a 9 acre section of my row crop portion that I’m considering turning into an alfalfa field.
I think it’s underutilized because it’s not bulletproof to get established. It takes more work than something like clover or beans.

Just had the fields limed….what ph does A need?
It does better when it’s above 6.5 and all the way up to 7.5.

I’m in Georgia and I love alfalfa. Our summers are rough on it even when I plant the “southern” blends. It rebounds through the fall, winter, and spring but each summer takes its toll.

It’s a finicky plant but the deer love it. Down here, they eat it all year long. I planted some yesterday and I’m heading out to plant more today.

Alfalfa wouldn't survive if you planted it this late here in Upper Michigan. Rule of thumb is at least 30 days prior to first frost date which would be no later than August 10-15. I am no alfalfa expert but I have had very good success with spring-planted alfalfa. Not sure when you will get your first frost in KY but hopefully not for another month or so. Best of luck.

Alfalfa wouldn't survive if you planted it this late here in Upper Michigan. Rule of thumb is at least 30 days prior to first frost date which would be no later than August 10-15. I am no alfalfa expert but I have had very good success with spring-planted alfalfa. Not sure when you will get your first frost in KY but hopefully not for another month or so. Best of luck.
Frost variable these day in WKY, prob mid to late October. weather crazy these days