Air Tight Tote

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
I am wondering what others are using for storing their hunting clothes in? I basically hunt out of totes stored in the back of my truck, but the ones I use aren't as air tight as they could be.

I use a regular old rubber maid tote with flip up handles to keep the lid from blowing off. Nothing rides in the back of the truck that would contaminate clothing while the tote is back there so I am not worried about air tight.

I have used the same Rubbermaid tubes for the last 15 years. I put some dirt & leaves from my hunting land in a cheese cloth in with the cloths. I also use the Earth scent wafer discs.

I, too, use old Rubbermaid tubs, but they are not air tight. Just wondering if there is an affordable option out there.

Unless you are putting the tote in some bad places, as long as you keep your carbon suit in the tub with the rest of the clothes you should be fine. I'm pretty circumspect when it comes to scent. Another option is to put your tote in a large garbage bag and fold it under the tote. Inexpensive solution. If you are looking for that last .01%, I think scentloc makes a tote designed specifically for that purpose.

Thanks,

Jack

i have some old dry bags that cabela's used to sell. they are made of heavy vinyl, and have a roll top with clips to close. similar to these.
http://www.backcountry.com/sealline...QIENhdDpEcnkgQmFnczoxOjg6YmNzQ2F0OTExMDAwMTM=
they were only $10 apiece when i got them though. i stuff my clothes into them and stick them in a hockey duffel. airtight.

I, too, use old Rubbermaid tubs, but they are not air tight. Just wondering if there is an affordable option out there.

Don't over think it ... the minute you sit in your ATV or truck, your seat and steering wheel/throttles will destroy all your efforts. You are aware that lubricants on your bow or gun produce orders? If you don't take a shower before every hunt, use hair gel, mint flavored tooth paste, or had the wrong thing for lunch ... etc, etc, etc.

If you think an air tight holder for your clothes is the answer, there are 100 other things that you can't control scent wise that will be a problem.

If you are that concerned about scent, only hunt when the wind favors your stand. I have been busted far more times by moving at the wrong time, fidgeting in my stand, or having my stand make a noise at the wrong time than ever being winded.

btw ... I do add scent discs to my bow case holding my bow & release ... :)

I use rubbermaids but line the inside of the lid with weatherstripping then wrap a bungy cord over the middle. Creates a pretty good seal.. For my outer suit I use a carbon thinks bag or an hs scent safe bag only because I won them.

My clothes that I wear in the woods never touch a car seat or atv seat ever. I run an oZone machine in my truck before every hunt and wear separate clothes commuting to and from. I shower before every hunt without exception, never wear base layers more than once without laundering. I believe every step to reduce odors is additive.

Can you kill deer without scent control, absolutely can you tell me that practicing scent control hurts my efforts not likely.

Unless you are putting the tote in some bad places, as long as you keep your carbon suit in the tub with the rest of the clothes you should be fine. I'm pretty circumspect when it comes to scent. Another option is to put your tote in a large garbage bag and fold it under the tote. Inexpensive solution. If you are looking for that last .01%, I think scentloc makes a tote designed specifically for that purpose.

Thanks,

Jack

Make sure it's the scent free trash bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure it's the scent free trash bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. Some kitchen bags and indoor are scented. I'm referring to the large outdoor trash bags.

I use storage bags from Walmart. The kind that you can hook a vacumn to and suck all the air out.

Clean, ozoned clothes go in and get vacumn sealed. If I'm real picky I get change into them after parking my vehicle.
Not usually that picky.

I put my archery camo into a large outdoor trash bag, squeeze the air out , and then put the bag into a Rubbermaid tub. I've wrapped rubber bungy straps around the tub for years to keep the lid tight. I also put a couple pine limbs in the tub to help cover any scent.

I NEVER drive with any clothes on that will be on me while hunting. I change into my hunting clothes outside ( underwear too ) and don't go back into the cabin after changing. My high rubber boots don't go inside - ever. I keep them outside on the camp porch. I hang my camo outside the whole time I'm at camp. I put hooks under the porch roof to hang them so they stay aired-out. Those are my methods.