Age a buck

Me too, and 40% of the time it has worked out well for us.
40% is decent odds especially when compared to 100% certainty of outcome if shot. But that may not be reasonable to many. Either way, cool buck and second picture is a really cool scene

40% is decent odds especially when compared to 100% certainty of outcome if shot. But that may not be reasonable to many. Either way, cool buck and second picture is a really cool scene

I was thinking 40% is pretty dang good too.

Native,
The one difference I noticed was the depth of his chest, your older bucks tend to have a very deep chest, where the neck joins the sternum, is usually very pronounced. Maybe its the camera angle, this buck just doesn't have it. 3 years old!

Last edited:
a7099b1f88e7fa11cd2c93ae591361a5.jpg

Great artwork from Ryan Kirby and one of my favorite gifts my wife has ever got me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, and 40% of the time it has worked out well for us.
I went back a few pages in your land thread to see if this deer showed up in any pics. I happened to see that the double drop was a deer you called 2.5 last year, so looks like you may need to give him some time yet! See if you can up that already impressive 40%

IMO all these charts people look at for back swag and belly sag and deep brisket etc... they are all null and void until about October 15. Summer bucks are easy to confuse.

He looks 4 to me. I think he just looks it in the face. I have 2 big 3 year olds around this year and they have big antlers, but in the summer the baby faces are what gives them away. Thats what im finding on deer I know.

If hes got a 40% chance of living... whats it matter if hes 3 or 4? He could still be a 190 next year. If hes big enough now, kill him now. He could be a 230 the year after 😂 think about that! There are always the "what if's"!

I like him

Anyone want to take a stab at the age on this one? The late night pass throughs are starting early this year. I can probably count on one hand the greater than 3 year old buck I've ever seen so I'm not good at it at all but this deer is an absolute horse from what I've seen.
Big Bodied Buck.png

I'd imagine the buck shown to be a good 2 1/2 or more likely a 3 1/2 year old as he is starting to develop a belly. And further, I suppose it depends on genetics in your part of the world.

I'd imagine the buck shown to be a good 2 1/2 or more likely a 3 1/2 year old as he is starting to develop a belly. And further, I suppose it depends on genetics in your part of the world.
They don't typically live long enough to identify genetics unfortunately. I thought for sure he had to be 4 1/2. That's a large body for around me.

I'd say 4.5

PatinPA

I would guess 2 1/2 - nice body though makes me want to say older but his rack says young -- 2 1/2

Native Hunter
With his bases Id say a solid 4.5 with a southern body.

IMO I would take him, Bang or Twang !

PatinPA

I would guess 2 1/2 - nice body though makes me want to say older but his rack says young -- 2 1/2

Native Hunter
With his bases Id say a solid 4.5 with a southern body.

IMO I would take him, Bang or Twang !

Oh I'm 100% shooting that buck should I see him. My first thought was dang that's a big vital area on him. It'll be like shooting at a trash can lid. I have a buck running around that I'm pretty sure is 3.5. His body is much leaner compared to this one and nowhere near the neck size. Although I agree he has a smallish rack for a buck of that body size. That's my only comparison. I have no history with this buck so nothing to compare.

He is a solid deer for sure! Nice and healthy looking ...

I never tell anyone what to shoot, our best days of hunting up here are long gone ... days when we group hunted shot what ever and enjoyed the hunt, the group of friends and the beer afterwards...

I remember the deer I shot not the ones I passed on the most... this year Im looking forward to just taking a doe for some extra meat. Its all good - hope ya get him !!!!

Last edited:
3 is my guess which isn’t worth much.

3 is my guess which isn’t worth much.
Neither do I. Buck don't tend to live too long around here. This one had a larger body than what I'm used to seeing. Especially the neck. That's why I was curious to see what everyone thought.