Age a buck

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Let me know your thoughts on age:

BSJ7Kuw.jpg

I’m guessing a 3 year old at most but possibly a 2 year old.

His hind legs extending backwards kind of elongates his torso, making the belly and the back sag less than if his hind legs were more vertical. I'm thinking he is 4.5, plus or minus a year. Even the older deer around us (Northern MO) don't have the typical sagging brisket and belly throughout the summer months.

Agree with hoyt that his stretch makes it harder to age. Why do I feel like you have another pic of him, lol. I'll start with 4.5 and say he's a nice 1!

Agree with hoyt that his stretch makes it harder to age. Why do I feel like you have another pic of him, lol. I'll start with 4.5 and say he's a nice 1!

I have this picture but it won't help with aging. I will check cameras again soon and try to get something better.

jeK67fa.jpg

Last edited:
I will go with 3.5................ nice buck!

A 2 1'2 vs a 3 1/2 is pretty easy. After that point without having history with that buck it pretty much becomes an educated guess IMO.

He who can age unknown summer bucks is way better than me. As said above they usually look much younger. Knowing how you keep up with your deer though, I'll go out on a limb and say 3 or 4. Bottom pic suggests 4 but I don't have any experience looking at your Ky. deer. Do you like Him?

I am certain there is ......additional information here

C'mon Steve!!!!!!

bill

Old enough to catch a bullet/arrow and send a tooth to the lab to find out.

He who can age unknown summer bucks is way better than me. As said above they usually look much younger. Knowing how you keep up with your deer though, I'll go out on a limb and say 3 or 4. Bottom pic suggests 4 but I don't have any experience looking at your Ky. deer. Do you like Him?

I like him but would hate to shoot a future 190 if he is only 3. Being a senior, I’m allowed to start crossbow hunting at the first of September. It’s tempting but I have bigger deer on the wall already. I’ve had 3 year olds to make incredible jumps in score by the time they are 4, so still debating on this.

I am certain there is ......additional information here

C'mon Steve!!!!!!

bill
Actually bill, I’m not playing a game. It’s a new one that showed up out of nowhere.

I find myself pretty darn good at aging- every deer dem outside my region… the caveat is, it’s hard horned and fall. While there are always exceptions to the norm, most are consistent from 1- 4+, even 5+.

I don’t know KY deer but I’d guess 5.5 this fall from rack characteristics as posture, body size for time of year and local knowledge aren’t my thing. Just my take though.

I like him but would hate to shoot a future 190 if he is only 3. Being a senior, I’m allowed to start crossbow hunting at the first of September. It’s tempting but I have bigger deer on the wall already. I’ve had 3 year olds to make incredible jumps in score by the time they are 4, so still debating on this.
I'm almost always willing to swing for the fence on bucks that show real potential.

I'm almost always willing to swing for the fence on bucks that show real potential.
Me too, and 40% of the time it has worked out well for us.

Even though stretched out, looks like his belly is below his chest, big shoulders and big back hips even before rut. I'll say 4 year old even though hard for me to estimate your area with longer growing season and food availability. Either way ... a shooter!