Aerial Fertilizing Trees

Gotta have a FAA part 137 certificate (areial applicator) and an applicators license but, those are not that hard to get, just have to do some studying and take the required tests. I assume that a demonstration of the drone will have to be done in the presence of an FAA inspector.
Those requirements are for spraying liquids. I don't think the dry fertilizer or seeding need the dertificates.

Have you done a soil test along the entire seven miles? If so, are conditions the same across the entire area? Before starting anything like this, you should know your conditions, especially pH, and see if you even need fertilizer and at what rate you would need to apply it to even make a difference.

I fertilized a couple hundred conifer trees last spring with 19-19-19. I cut the top off a pop can and put about 15# in a 5 gallon pail per load. I would scoop some fertilizer into the can and then I would fling it at my trees and weed mats. Some of it hit the needles and stem. No affect at all from what I could tell. I had a couple very young trees die, but that was from the D3 drought most likely. We haven't had rain for the last 3 years. Think I could easily do several hundred trees in a morning with that method, especially if they are close together. It goes quick.

Think you could easily broadcast several hundred pounds per acre and be just fine. I have put 200# of fertilizer on knee high corn several times and it works great. Just make sure the dew is off and its not a real humid day. I don't think you would notice any issues other than better trees at 500+ lb/acre. I like 1 triple 19, and I like to get it on early in the spring. Right before a good rain would be ideal.

IMG_8258.JPEG

Gotta have a FAA part 137 certificate (areial applicator) and an applicators license but, those are not that hard to get, just have to do some studying and take the required tests. I assume that a demonstration of the drone will have to be done in the presence of an FAA inspector.
It’s a long
yep. Alll the above is correct. Also have to register it with the Faa just like a plane since it’s over 55lbs. You even get a tail number.

After going through all that trouble and jumping through the Fed's hoops you might as well make a business out of it. Heck, I think I might just do it here. The guy who gave the demo that I watched said his set up cost him of 40K. I think he said that he gets a minimum of $700.00 a day.

After going through all that trouble and jumping through the Fed's hoops you might as well make a business out of it. Heck, I think I might just do it here. The guy who gave the demo that I watched said his set up cost him of 40K. I think he said that he gets a minimum of $700.00 a day.
over 40K

Had a drone do some spraying. Showed up with 18 batteries and about that many tanks - 4 gal I believe. He filled up spares while drone was flying. He would swap batteries and tanks in less than a minute.

you would be efficient (time to deliver product) but likely not very efficient (cost wise) if cedars are of varying size and shape (product landing outside root zone for smaller plants .. even if you can adjust spread ... now the time element may increase. Since cedars like poorer soils and thriving in rock and gravel. If you can operate any type of vehicle within 10 feet of each tree, I'd just get some plain old "white rock / limestone" and throw a couple of hands full under each tree,
Here is a good read on ERC.
https://growitbuildit.com/juniperus-virginiana-eastern-red-cedar/

I think broad casting over trees would be highly inefficient and your going to waste more product than gets used. Way more is my thinking. To be effective you need to put the fertilizer around the root zone. fertilizing A field is one thing but, trees are different. 90 percent is not going to go where it’s needed. Maybe a liquid foliar spray would be somewhat beneficial but again you’re wasting huge amounts of product. Most spruce do just fine on their own. I would put money and time into something more beneficial.

Around here the best fertilizer for cedars is water. If I want my cedars to really thrive I have found hauling water during periods of drought to be very successful.