Aerial Fertilizing Trees

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
I wanted to get some input here on using a drone to fertilize a bunch of shelter belts this next spring. My plan is to fertilize about 7 miles worth of cedars in very marginal soil aerially using no less than 10-10-10. I might even mix in some straight N product.

At what point do I need to worry about burning the cedars from the fertilizer actually landing on the trees themselves? What rate?

Ask away with any questions. I love the discussions!

Cedars grow in rocks around here I wouldn’t waste my time fertilizing cedars

Cedars grow in rocks around here I wouldn’t waste my time fertilizing cedars
But I don’t have rocks here. 😂

I understand that comment. I’m trying to promote growth though so I’ve no problem spending the money to get them to size faster.

7 miles worth. Sounds like a decent chunk of land. How big are the trees now?

7 miles worth. Sounds like a decent chunk of land. How big are the trees now?
Anywhere from 2’-12’ I spose. I’ve replaced lots of dead ones over the years so all different stages.

Wondering if enough fertilizer for the larger trees would be too much for the smaller trees?

It should be fine. How much fertilizer are you planning to use? And when are you planning to spread it?

It would take an insane amount of fertilizer to harm trees over a 7 mile stretch. Also, you probably shouldn't spread it before April.

How much would it cost to have a drone spread 2000 pounds of fertilizer? That sounds crazy!

It should be fine. How much fertilizer are you planning to use? And when are you planning to spread it?

It would take an insane amount of fertilizer to harm trees over a 7 mile stretch. Also, you probably shouldn't spread it before April.
I’d spread it come spring. 100lbs acre or so I spose.

How much would it cost to have a drone spread 2000 pounds of fertilizer? That sounds crazy!
That’s part of my experiment. So I know what to charge using the spreader for that type of work.

Red cedars are pretty hard to kill, so I'd be shocked if they would be damaged by 1000+ pounds per acre. I think you would need to use way more than 100 pounds per acre to have a measurable growth difference in the cedars.

I have a no-till property that has a field that has been continuous corn for years. I found a foot tall red cedar growing between the rows that has survived years of herbicide sprayings and high nitrogen fertilizer. Based on that, I think the red cedars will survive any fertilizer you spread aerially.

Aerial spreader likely cant spread less than 15 feet wide. 15 fett times .7 miles is about 1.2 acres.

Far as little vs big trees. Little trees will not have roots out that far.

2 or 3 bags of fertilizer. I'd just walk it with a broadcast spreader. Fertilizer dust will get into the drones electronics to some extent. OR, atleast the spreader motor. Not worth the risk vs benefit.

Save that machine for overseeding. Boring day at work, was looking at the mavic 3 thermal and deer scouting.

Is this 0.7 mies or 7 miles?

Aerial spreader likely cant spread less than 15 feet wide. 15 fett times .7 miles is about 1.2 acres.

Far as little vs big trees. Little trees will not have roots out that far.

2 or 3 bags of fertilizer. I'd just walk it with a broadcast spreader. Fertilizer dust will get into the drones electronics to some extent. OR, atleast the spreader motor. Not worth the risk vs benefit.

Save that machine for overseeding. Boring day at work, was looking at the mavic 3 thermal and deer scouting.

Is this 0.7 mies or 7 miles?
I can change the spreader RPM and change how far I'm throwing it. Can probably get a little less than 15' but not much. 7.0-ish miles. Another good point about the corrosive factor.

I can change the spreader RPM and change how far I'm throwing it. Can probably get a little less than 15' but not much. 7.0-ish miles. Another good point about the corrosive factor.
You have a drone spreader? What drone and what payload can it carry in fertilizer.

I assume you are talking about red cedar, They like lime and higher phosphorous.

I watched a field demonstration given by an aerial applicator who uses a drone to spray with. His drone also has a dry fertilizer/seed spreader that can be used in place of the spray nozzles. That thing was amazing. It sprayed a five acre pasture in quick time, recognized obstacles and flew around them. It even knew where the pasture perimeter was. Naturally he had programmed all of the data into the computer but, still, it was impressive.

I watched a field demonstration given by an aerial applicator who uses a drone to spray with. His drone also has a dry fertilizer/seed spreader that can be used in place of the spray nozzles. That thing was amazing. It sprayed a five acre pasture in quick time, recognized obstacles and flew around them. It even knew where the pasture perimeter was. Naturally he had programmed all of the data into the computer but, still, it was impressive.
Same. Was super impressed. Battery run time is horrible so it takes a heck of a set up to effectively spray a decent sized areas. You will run out of battery before you run out of herbicide or fertilizer most likely
IMG_3525.png

It’s a DJI Agras T40. I can spray about 1 acre per minute with it not including refill time. Nice long 1/2 mile runs I can spray the entire tank empty and still have plenty battery left. 100-110lbs payload with the spreader.

Gotta have a FAA part 137 certificate (areial applicator) and an applicators license but, those are not that hard to get, just have to do some studying and take the required tests. I assume that a demonstration of the drone will have to be done in the presence of an FAA inspector.