advise on this weekends planting??

paoharcher

Yearling... With promise
i have two small plots im doing this weekend,they are in a over grown corn field that hasnt been touched in over 15 yrs.i went in a couple of weeks ago and weed eated and mowed two plots around 1/4 acre and the other a little smaller.i sprayed with gly this past saturday and due to time restrictions i need to plant this weekend.planting mix similar to LC mix.not sure how dead everything will be after only a week after being sprayed,using a ATV disc and am worried with the clumps in the field how good of a job the disc will do.is it ok if i just disc it the best i can and plant? worried that i make only be able to tear up around a couple of inches of depth. any and all advise is appreciated.thanks!!!

Guys can provide more specific answers if they know where you are planting. I'm guessing you are from PA/OH based on your username but if I'm wrong let us know.

i will be planting winter rye and oats plus GHR and PTT,not sure about clover yet.also would you plant everything together or do the brassicas seperate from the rye and oats? thanks!!

I try to seed my large seed and then seed my small separately. It is much easier to keep up with seeding rate if all seed being sown at a time, is one basic size. It would not hurt anything if you were to seed your large seed right into the standing thatch, scratch it in with your disc( it will not have to be a perfect seed bed, just plenty of seed/soil contact.) Then seed your small seed and drag it with some sort of drag. A piece of chain link fence or old set of bed springs work well for dragging the seed in. If none of those are available you can just run over the whole shebang with the 4 wheeler over and over. (poor man's cultipacker) Small seed just needs good seed soil contact and does not need to be really buried. In fact one of the problems with small seed is planting too deep. It just needs to be in the surface layer.