All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice, opinions

I do that regularly. It works if you get the stage of the WR right. If you are a bit early, some of it will stand back up. I personally can't justify a crimper.
Me neither Jac but I couldn’t justify the drill I bought either. Life is short and you can’t take it with you.

Me neither Jac but I couldn’t justify the drill I bought either. Life is short and you can’t take it with you.

Amen to that Rit. I couldn't really justify what I paid for my drill either - especially for only 16 acres of food plots. But it has cut my seat time down on the tractor by more than half and has definitely made life easier for me. And...if you take care of them they hold their value very well. I am guessing my drill is worth pretty close to what I paid for it over 6 years ago.

I have to believe that a roller/crimper will also hold its value. I know I sold my JD 4-row planter and my JD conventional drill years later for more than what I had paid for them. The proceeds for those implements went towards the cost of my new drill. Which reminds me...I have a 12' cultivator sitting idle that hasn't been used since I purchased the drill either. I should probably get that sold and use the money towards a new roller/crimper. :emoji_grin:

Thanks for helping me justify that Rit.

Amen to that Rit. I couldn't really justify what I paid for my drill either - especially for only 16 acres of food plots. But it has cut my seat time down on the tractor by more than half and has definitely made life easier for me. And...if you take care of them they hold their value very well. I am guessing my drill is worth pretty close to what I paid for it over 6 years ago.

I have to believe that a roller/crimper will also hold its value. I know I sold my JD 4-row planter and my JD conventional drill years later for more than what I had paid for them. The proceeds for those implements went towards the cost of my new drill. Which reminds me...I have a 12' cultivator sitting idle that hasn't been used since I purchased the drill either. I should probably get that sold and use the money towards a new roller/crimper. :emoji_grin:

Thanks for helping me justify that Rit.

You ever get the urge to list that drill for what you paid for it, just let me know first..

You ever get the urge to list that drill for what you paid for it, just let me know first..
Thanks Wind Gypsy - maybe some day...but not this year. :emoji_sunglasses:

I am taking real good care of her for you. She gets cleaned and washed and parked back in the barn every time I use her. She still looks almost like new and she won't ever spend a night outdoors.

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_3647.jpeg

Last edited:
If your gonna sell that drill....I'd give you $100 more than Wind Gypsy. Grin. Wonder what you'd pay for that drill today?

If your gonna sell that drill....I'd give you $100 more than Wind Gypsy. Grin.
172D8536-927C-4D9F-BEED-32FAEA4A6AF8.gif
Wonder what you'd pay for that drill today?
Were $22k+ when I was inquiring a couple months ago.

Sorry for the hijack @Snoop I’ll stop now. I’m looking forward to how this turns out for you.

If your gonna sell that drill....I'd give you $100 more than Wind Gypsy. Grin. Wonder what you'd pay for that drill today?

Now we’re talkin Foggy!

View attachment 43347

Were $22k+ when I was inquiring a couple months ago.

Sorry for the hijack @Snoop I’ll stop now. I’m looking forward to how this turns out for you.

Had no idea they had gone up that much WG.

I bought mine on a “Show Special” at the Deer & Turkey Expo in Madison, WI. I am pretty sure I ordered every available option except the NWSG box. I can drill Switchgrass from the small seed box just fine. I even got the brackets for the suitcase weights (but I have never needed to use them). Price included delivery to my farm in Michigan and a dealer demo after it was unloaded. The only thing they wouldn't do was paint it green for me. I said why not - they are made at the same place as the Great Plains drills, but he said he just couldn't go there. $16,200 out the door. Like I said, I am pretty sure it is worth pretty close to that today.

I'd pay you $16,300. Deal? Grin. Nice drill. What you using to pull that drill? HP?

I'd pay you $16,300. Deal? Grin. Nice drill. What you using to pull that drill? HP?
John Deere 5400 - 68 HP but you only need 40 HP for the pull behind model like mine.

I’ve got a roller crimper ordered.
Like everything else it’s delayed. Supposed to have been delivered first of May. Now they say July.
Have you been back to check this out since you flattened it?

Not yet. I’ll be heading down this weekend.

Have you been back to check this out since you flattened it?
Check out my plot this weekend. There is something coming up through the mat. That summer blend I think had 9 types of seeds.
I think I need to learn what all these look like as seedlings. I know what weeds look like. lol
I‘ll probably be back down in a couple weeks again.

If it was me, I would mow it around the 10 of July, let it green up again. Come the end of July beginning of August, I'd spray it with glysophate, and try to seed it with 2 pounds of each, purple top turnips, dakion radishes and dwarf Essex rape seed per acre. I came up with that mix after about 10 years of trying different mixes.

Check out my plot this weekend. There is something coming up through the mat. That summer blend I think had 9 types of seeds.
I think I need to learn what all these look like as seedlings. I know what weeds look like. lol
I‘ll probably be back down in a couple weeks again.
Did it look like you got a good kill with the roller?

I crimped mine a bit early but It ended up being the right decision because of the amount of rain that we have been getting.

Check on my plots today.E8B3B787-E799-4839-90A0-C4B2E8460759.jpegBE389566-BCFF-4324-89CF-BBA307BF9D56.jpegF40B88D6-7CD0-4EE0-90D4-4237FF67BE8A.jpeg
This is 4 weeks after planting into standing rye & clover, then cullipacked.
I’ve got to do some research to identify my plants.C5515371-7573-432A-A746-8E0723576893.jpegA5342B2B-4D32-4340-B78B-16E2C68597B4.jpegE50AC00D-584C-4732-A492-E5C4599BF82C.jpegB97E8DA3-1C55-41E9-90DD-7598BDD8A097.jpeg
C5515371-7573-432A-A746-8E0723576893.jpeg

I know I’ve got some weeds in there, still pretty happy with it. Probably should of gone heavier on the seeding rate.

Check on my plots today.View attachment 44085View attachment 44086View attachment 44087
This is 4 weeks after planting into standing rye & clover, then cullipacked.
I’ve got to do some research to identify my plants.View attachment 44088View attachment 44089View attachment 44090View attachment 44091
View attachment 44088

I know I’ve got some weeds in there, still pretty happy with it. Probably should of gone heavier on the seeding rate.
Looks good. A healthy mix if weeds is a good thing!