All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice, opinions

Do you guys think I can broadcast a summer blend into this View attachment 43164and then just roll over with the cullipacker?
View attachment 43165
Will do that terminate the rye, make a good mulch & get good germination?
I’m thinking about doing this weekend before a rain.
Thanks
Is that a Dunham? Really surprised it laid the clover down like that. If that works I’d consider cancelling the roller crimper.

I’ve got a roller crimper ordered.
Like everything else it’s delayed. Supposed to have been delivered first of May. Now they say July.
What size and brand did you buy? I Bought a Goliath 6' last August and it just delivered the other day. Gotta plan a year ahead these days.....crazy.

I'm in northern MN so my rye is only 15" high at this point.....I suppose it will take off now.....and I will likely crimp it later in June.... after planting GC Summer release in a week or so.

Probably not a option. Don’t think I’d get my deposit back. But we’ll see how this does.
I’m kind of concerned about the seed to soil contact. The clover was pretty thick under the rye.

Probably not a option. Don’t think I’d get my deposit back. But we’ll see how this does.
I’m kind of concerned about the seed to soil contact. The clover was pretty thick under the rye.
My dealer told me the price on my crimper would be $1000 more if purchased today. Your dealer just might refund you and sell yours again? Machine prices are crazy and much of this stuff is hard to get. Sure looks like your cultipacker did a nice job for you.

Ha. Good point, never thought of that. Your probably right.

We’ll see if this actually terminated the rye.

I wouldn't sweat that. If that crimp takes, your duff will create a bunch of humidity under there, and it'll go. I'd take broadcasted seed under thatch over covered seeds in exposed soil any day.

Although that cultipacker of yours did a hell of a job, you will not be disappointed when using the crimper. I used a cultipacker before I got my crimper and would always not get a good kill when laying the thatch over. My cultipacker is not as big as yours, so yours might produce a better kill than mine. The crimper is legit though and kills a majority of the thatch. It is well worth the money IMO. Also, dont go on youtube looking for a different way to take it off the pallet it is shipped on. The best and safest way is how RTP recommends in the booklet they send with it. It looks pretty complex reading the instructions, but it's honestly not bad once you start the process.

Is that a Dunham? Really surprised it laid the clover down like that. If that works I’d consider cancelling the roller crimper.

I do that regularly. It works if you get the stage of the WR right. If you are a bit early, some of it will stand back up. I personally can't justify a crimper.

Reactions: Rit
The space between those packer wheels has to be about 5" if I remember correctly. I'd think if you can hit it a second time perpendicular, you've got at least 6 chances at crimping that stem, and I think the psi on the tips of those packers has got to be off the charts. I've always wanted to try that, but never had the rye crop. Last year I finally did, but I mowed it instead.

The space between those packer wheels has to be about 5" if I remember correctly. I'd think if you can hit it a second time perpendicular, you've got at least 6 chances at crimping that stem, and I think the psi on the tips of those packers has got to be off the charts. I've always wanted to try that, but never had the rye crop. Last year I finally did, but I mowed it instead.
I'm devising a plan to side-by-side compare the termination techniques on cereal rye. Will try to do all of these at the dough stage. I think I will roller crimp one area / flail mow another / cultipack another. Take pics and post em up somewhere. On my land....this will likely be mid to late June.

I spent about 2 hrs going over it slowly.
I probably still get the crimper. I budgeted for it.
I’m planning on doing more acreage if this goes well. Already mowed another 5 acres & going to spray a couple times this summer to do a fall planting.
I don’t want to beat the cullipacker to death on my rocky soil.

With the late spring I think it will be all of 2 more weeks until I am able to crimp my winter barley. I got a good stand and am really looking forward to see if the modifications I made last year to my DIY crimper did the trick. I will not be spraying after to see if my crimper works out or if further modifications are needed.

What size and brand did you buy? I Bought a Goliath 6' last August and it just delivered the other day. Gotta plan a year ahead these days.....crazy.

I'm in northern MN so my rye is only 15" high at this point.....I suppose it will take off now.....and I will likely crimp it later in June.... after planting GC Summer release in a week or so.
Oh woof. I bet mine isn't 6" yet. I've got a camera on it now, so it'll be interesting to see if it catches up.

I'm devising a plan to side-by-side compare the termination techniques on cereal rye. Will try to do all of these at the dough stage. I think I will roller crimp one area / flail mow another / cultipack another. Take pics and post em up somewhere. On my land....this will likely be mid to late June.
I don't have a roller/crimper yet. Still debating to get a front mounted or rear mounted??

I have both mowed and culltipacked heavy rye cover crops with good success. Here are a few pics with dates:

Cultipacked on July 7th - Upper Michigan - Zone 4a - Seed was not yet viable

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

12 days later on July 20th - Brassicas are up and well on their way...

IMG_3558.jpg

Mowed with my brush hog on August 13th - Seed was hard and viable...

IMG_3689.jpg

The brush hog scatters the seed very well. This is the top of my mower...

IMG_3691.jpg

2 Weeks later on August 28th. A free crop of rye coming in...

IMG_3877.jpg

Oh woof. I bet mine isn't 6" yet. I've got a camera on it now, so it'll be interesting to see if it catches up.
This is what mine looked like a few days ago - on May 21st - Upper Michigan - Zone 4a. This plot was in sugar beets and Brassicas last year but I include 2# each of Crimson and Med Red clovers in with my brassica mix when I plant, and then a month later I come back and broadcast rye over top of it.

IMG_7986.jpg

I will terminate this and plant a summer cover crop (home brewed but similar to Green Cover Summer Browse) in another 10-14 days.

I may be exaggerating my rye hight a bit. Here is a pic from my cam this morning. Regarding front or rear mounted roller/crimper. I got a 3 point mount Goliath 6'. If I want I can use one of this Titan plates QD that attach to my loader and put the crimper on it. I may have to change the crimping roller around to go the right direction.....but some operate it as is I am told.

I'd like that plate anyway to attach my landscape rake and push tree and stick Debis out of my old log landing area. Maybe an excuse to buy one.

Attachments

• T_00001-87.JPG
    T_00001-87.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 17
I am in 3b, and my WR is about 6 inches tall, and not very thick. But I didnt get a good crop last summer because I didnt get any rain until October. I think we got about a 1/4 inch after I planted in August, it came up, then we didnt get any rain for a couple months and it all died. This year has been planty wet, but very little sun, mostly cloudy and rainy days.

Although I do have a very good crop of mosquitos, gnats, and ticks this spring.

I may be exaggerating my rye hight a bit. Here is a pic from my cam this morning. Regarding front or rear mounted roller/crimper. I got a 3 point mount Goliath 6'. If I want I can use one of this Titan plates QD that attach to my loader and put the crimper on it. I may have to change the crimping roller around to go the right direction.....but some operate it as is I am told.

I'd like that plate anyway to attach my landscape rake and push tree and stick Debis out of my old log landing area. Maybe an excuse to buy one.
I would want the crimper to fit my Match Quick Hitch for sure, or match up with the front brackets. If front mounted, I could crimp and plant in one pass so I am leaning in that direction. I have front mounted snow plow and fork lift in addition to the FEL.

IMG_2467.JPG

DSC02770 (1).jpeg

IMG_0252_2.jpeg

A roller/crimper would look awful nice up front here too.

You could always buy one of the QH's from Horrible Freight and weld it to a $100 QD plate and you have a 3 point mount on the front of your loader to push a crimper (when you want to do the one-pass gig) or pull it with your tractor 3 point.

Come to think of it I have one of those crumby Quick Hitches and a loader plate.....and I got a welder (eat your heart out SD :emoji_grin:). I better combine those parts this summer.

I dont hold allot of hope of doing the roller / crimper and drill seeding in one pass.....different timing on the rye and my need to get the seeds established. Maybe once in a blue moon it will work that way....but I'm not holding my breath. Also kinda hard to operate two implements on twisty and irregular food plots like mine.

You could always buy one of the QH's from Horrible Freight and weld it to a $100 QD plate and you have a 3 point mount on the front of your loader to push a crimper (when you want to do the one-pass gig) or pull it with your tractor 3 point.

Come to think of it I have one of those crumby Quick Hitches and a loader plate.....and I got a welder (eat your heart out SD :emoji_grin:). I better combine those parts this summer.

I dont hold allot of hope of doing the roller / crimper and drill seeding in one pass.....different timing on the rye and my need to get the seeds established. Maybe once in a blue moon it will work that way....but I'm not holding my breath. Also kinda hard to operate two implements on twisty and irregular food plots like mine.
Yep - It could get a little tight in the smaller plots for sure. I could probably be happy with just the 3 point mount.