acorns

tooln

5 year old buck +
How is your acorn crop this year for me I'm seeing more than I ever have.

They look good here, especially the white oaks but no sign of dropping yet with the white oaks. Last good crop of whites I had was in 2012 and the cam action was crazy in my white oaks starting the last week of August. Headed out now to hang a cam or two in a nice white oak section.

You guys and your fancy oaks that produce acorns.

Mine are starting to drop.

Yea but I bet you get a lot of pine cones. :(

^^^ No just maple samaras!:eek:

What are acorns? Are they what Chip and Dale are always after in the cartoons?

Black oaks are pretty loaded here. Wish I had some whites but I've yet to find any.

Trees are really loaded this year in my neck of the woods. Iv noticed the reds are loaded as much as I have seen in many years. I have not really looked at my white oaks. I'll check the white oaks out this weekend.

Still early for acorn drop in the south

Oodles falling off my oaks at home and up north on the farm.

After a few days my driveway is covered in crushed acorns.

Saw only one white oak that was dropping today. Tons of reds have dropped already. Walked past one bur oak that is loaded and has dropped a few. I hung a stand last week in a white oak that has quite a few hanging...probably need a hard hat to sit on that stand for the opening week or so of bowhunting.

Most of my reds did well last year so not many of those this year, my chinkapins are showing up and i have a few on my white oak as well. They are still developing but I see at least some positive signs.

Lots of red and burr oak acorns here. Only a few reds falling right now, but the burrs are falling heavily

In Missouri the Burr Oak acorns are raining out of the tree right now. And some hurt when they konk you in the head. Deer have for the most part left the soybean food plots!

I'm seeing acorns but it's a tree by tree basis. All the oaks don't have acorns, that's for sure.

Lots of red and burr oak acorns here. Only a few reds falling right now, but the burrs are falling heavily
My reds are falling right along with my burr. It is rain acorns right now.

We had so much rain and several severe storms blow through this year that many of the acorns were aborted or blown down. I think the acorn crop will be weak this year in central Mo. We shall see

Black oaks are pretty loaded here. Wish I had some whites but I've yet to find any.

In my area seriously 1 in 5 trees are white oaks! Makes for some tough hunting in Oct!!!!:confused:

If you open the canopy up a bunch, you may be surprised at how many whites start popping up. That's what happened on my folks' old place anyway.

Thats what my Forester guys and I discussed today.....opening up the canopy to get some sun on those oaks. Growth explodes when those trees get a little sunlight. :)

If you open the canopy up a bunch, you may be surprised at how many whites start popping up. That's what happened on my folks' old place anyway.

We noticed this on a lot of the county land that was cut-over as well. Especially in the areas of mixed woods, it happened in the pine plantations as well, but whites showed up on a rather frequent basis in the mixed forested areas. They sometimes came back thicker than the red varieties.

I know I need to do this by me in a stand of white oaks. I'm having a hard time talking myself into cutting some of these grandpa white oaks down. Some of them I can barely get an 8' camera strap around them.