All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Access road gate plans??

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
Anyone have plans or drawing for a metal access road gate? Looking for some ideas to build some for a lease. A lot of guys are using cattle gates around here, but wanting something a little more sturdy. Thanks!

Most folks here just use the tubular cattle gates.....which you can get in heavier gauge metal as well. One of the gate companies to look into that is popular around here is Tarter.

Anyone have plans or drawing for a metal access road gate? Looking for some ideas to build some for a lease. A lot of guys are using cattle gates around here, but wanting something a little more sturdy. Thanks!

What are your reasons for wanting something heavier than a cattle gate? Issue is if you get too heavy then it is tougher to keep the post that it is attached to perpendicular to the ground. Other style of gate that I see alot is something like this. If you have the pipe and some angle you could weld your own pretty easy.

images

We use something similar to cspot’s picture, but that sucker is heavy and we’ve had the issue of it leaning over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use the tubular type gate, be sure to place the L-screws in opposite orientations. Otherwise it is pretty easy for someone to lift the gate off them. Another trick is to peen the screws after installing the gate.

Thanks,

Jack

144 … I offer a suggestion to solve your "lean" problem. Google telespar …. steel square sign posts; they come in various sizes that telescope into one another. take the smallest size they make (a 3 foot piece) and second smallest (14 in and 10 in pieces) sizes. Weld the 10" piece vertically to the flat side of your angle iron facing the entryway. Insert the 3 to 5 foot section (smallest size Telespar pipe) into the 10" piece and lower it until it is 6 inches off the ground (you can secure it in place using the U bolt from a 2.5 inch muffler clamp - fits perfectly through holes drilled on 1 inch centers)… you are lining this vertical piece up so it can be inserted into your anchor device (anchor device embedded in ground). Construct the anchor device using the 14 inch piece (6 inches will be above ground and 8 inches will be embedded in concrete with a 4" diameter. One final thing … the holes in Telespar pipe are 9/16th ,,,,, place a case hardened bolt through the hole that is 5 holes down from the top of the base pipe (stops your pipe drop). To use your support system drop the 3-foot section (or however long a piece you need) through the 10 inch piece welded to your angle iron and shove it into the base (make sure it is resting on the bottom). A 9/16 bolt will complete the support system …. place it through any of the holes where the 3 foot section is WITHIN the 10 inch section welded to your angle piece. One extra step when opening or closing your gate, but your gate will be clean and mean and never lean. Good luck my friend.

Last edited:
What are your reasons for wanting something heavier than a cattle gate? Issue is if you get too heavy then it is tougher to keep the post that it is attached to perpendicular to the ground. Other style of gate that I see alot is something like this. If you have the pipe and some angle you could weld your own pretty easy.

images
Property had had problems with trespassing in the past before getting it. Buddy of mine has a lot of land he has guys raking straw on & people around here will do anything at times to get onto the land. Cattle gates just haven't been very good at being a gate. At least I know if I go heavier than a cattle gate they will have to go far out of there way to tear it up. With saying that gates really only keep the honest people out.

A gate is only as good as the lock and chain that keep it closed. A bolt cutter, or a battery powered grinder will get me into almost anything I want to be in.

Not sure I’d spend money on protecting a lease. What does the owner say or the lease agreement?