Tell me about "spiking"

Mtyhunter

5 year old buck +
I lease around 800 acres of a cattle ranch in Ok for hunting. My landowner has "spiked" some of the ranch, to kill the trees and increase pasture grasses. I absolutely hate it, but it is their business.
Everyone here calls it spiking, but, googling the term doesn't come up with much info. I'm looking for some pro advice here, maybe it'll make me feel better about it once i understand it.

It's what worries me about growing fruit orchards. Could sure be vandalized in short order. Need surveillance full time.

I think this is precisely why we are having a drop in quail, chicken, and other pasture birds. I'm sure nest predators have an effect, but also indiscriminant herbicide use. Around here they come in with crop dusters and spray pastures with herbicides that kill ALL broadleaf plants. It has become wide spread with hundreds of thousands of acres sprayed around us every yr. Wildlife needs seed, woody browse, understory in thickets, etc.

thanks homer. maybe i didn't refine my search well enough, but i just couldn't find this info. They aerial spray here Mort, so hope the pilot's gps works well and the wind doesn't pick up in a bad way!
Trust me, they mess up frequently on property lines and often don't follow manufacture spraying protocols regarding wind speed and spraying heights.

Last edited:
It's bad stuff.
Had a young friend who is a lineman for the local rural electric cooperative, who told me (20+ yrs ago) that if they encountered a landowner who was resistant to having a tree in the ROW or posing an issue... that they would sometimes sprinkle some Spike around them, and they would 'mysteriously' die over a few years' time and then they could remove them. If that was truly the case, somebody ought get their @ss fired. On the right-of-way, they should be able to trim &/or remove, but if outside of the ROW, poisoning should not be an option.

Back in 2010, a crazy-ass U.of Alabama fan, upset over Auburn beating Alabama in the Iron Bowl and someone draping a Cam Newton(Auburn's quarterback) jersey on the Bear Bryant statue at Bryant-Denny Stadium, and advancing to the SEC championship... went to Auburn while most of the populace there was either at the SEC championship game or watching it on TV, and sprinkled Spike 80DF around the two iconic Southern Live Oaks (~85 yrs old, not 130, as some had claimed) growing at the entrance to the campus at Toomer's Corner. Attempts to remediate the situation failed, and the trees declined and died over just a very few years.

Trust me, they mess up frequently on property lines and often don't follow manufacture spraying protocols regarding wind speed and spraying heights.

I watched a crop duster spray my dad’s brome field for wheat rust a few years ago. Not sure where they were supposed to be or who paid for it, but it wasn’t us….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk