Aaron's beard?

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Is this Aaron's beard? Thanks

Attachments

• 20180807-141634.jpg
    20180807-141634.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 28
I’m not familiar with Aaron’s beard but it appears to be a hypericum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron's Beard is another name they call St. John's Wort (hypericum as Mick T said).

That plant is one of the hypericum species, but keep in mind that I know of at least 9 variations of St. John's Wort, and it takes a closer examination to know which one it is. My guess, however, would be Hypericum perforatum (called Common SJW). There are two versions that are woody at the bottom and a dwarf version as well. So I think you can rule out those three.

Aaron's Beard is another name they call St. John's Wort (hypericum as Mick T said).

That plant is one of the hypericum species, but keep in mind that I know of at least 9 variations of St. John's Wort, and it takes a closer examination to know which one it is. My guess, however, would be Hypericum perforatum (called Common SJW). There are two versions that are woody at the bottom and a dwarf version as well. So I think you can rule out those three.

Dude, you constantly humble me.
Yet again, you astonish me with your knowledge of flora.
How exactly, have you come to obtain (and retain) all this info? Strictly schooling and book learnin' or are you self taught?
Do you apply the same level of observation in other aspects of the outdoors or life in general?
There are a lot of great contributors to this site but you get the award for MVP (most valuable poster)...at least for the "name this plant section".

Dude, you constantly humble me.
Yet again, you astonish me with your knowledge of flora.
How exactly, have you come to obtain (and retain) all this info? Strictly schooling and book learnin' or are you self taught?
Do you apply the same level of observation in other aspects of the outdoors or life in general?
There are a lot of great contributors to this site but you get the award for MVP (most valuable poster)...at least for the "name this plant section".

Tap, thanks and I’m humbled by your comments. I’m pretty much self taught. And, keep in mind that sometimes I have to do some research and don’t know everything immediately. It’s just something I really enjoy doing. I don’t watch a lot of television. I would rather be learning something worthwhile. I do think I’m very observant in most things and have attention to detail - sometimes too much.

I have always worked a demanding job, and learning about how the Indians and pioneers lived is kind of an escape from reality for me. I just enjoy the old ways!!

Last edited:
I have a lot of this growing and can't seem to find evidence of utilization. Has anyone notice usage on this plant. Thanks

I have a lot of this growing and can't seem to find evidence of utilization. Has anyone notice usage on this plant. Thanks

I know that deer will sometimes eat about anything, but I would be surprised to hear they ate SJW. It causes severe gastrointestinal problems in most mammals and has other negative impacts as well.

Last edited:
I can’t ever remember seeing it browsed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk