Opening day Tom

5 year old buck +
Opening day of the Sp23 Trurkey season in Missouri. I am hunting on a friends property in the Ozarks. 40 yards from the truck we saw a hen in the field at 300 yards. We hid behind a large oak and waited. Ended up calling in two hens, two gobblers and two jakes. I took the one Tom, a 23 pound gobbler with 10” beard. Both Tom’s were great birds and both are table fare as it was a one - two harvest.

A special day and my first opening day Gobbler. it was also the using the TriStar 12G mag auto my wife bought me a few years ago (my son-in-law works for TriStar).

EABDD549-291B-4617-9DDD-9530E645CC55.jpeg

Congratulations! Sounded like a great hunt!

I have had nothing but bad luck the past few years while turkey hunting. Always hear several different toms/jakes gobble but they always seem to have their mind made up which way they would rather go.

Reactions: 356
I have had nothing but bad luck the past few years while turkey hunting. Always hear several different toms/jakes gobble but they always seem to have their mind made up which way they would rather go.
That’s been my story on previously hunts for sure. The last couple of years have been magical hunts where the years of famine are soon forgotten.