Ready for Turkey Season

5 year old buck +
Monday April 15 is the start of Missouri’s Turkey Season. My turkey gun in a Tri-Star Viper Max (12g, 3 1/2”). Historically I have used Winchester Long Beard XR in 3 1/2”, but this year I am trying Federal TSS 3”. I patterned at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. The right is the TSS, the center is the XR and the left is my wife’s 20g 870 using Fiocci TSS at 40 yards. The Tri-Star has a tru-glo bead sight and the 870 has a traditional bead sight. Not great patterns, but dead birds nonetheless.

IMG_4711.jpeg

Those birds wouldn't flop very long. That 20 ga put out a pretty nice spread. My 12 year old will be using tss 9 next wk in his 20 ga.

I dont think I would pay the extra money for tss in that 12 ga. The longbeard pattern is a dead turkey at what - 20% the cost? I see the tss as a game changer in smaller gauges. I used tss for a couple years in my 12 ga but went back to longbeard. Just didnt see the advantage inside 50 yards - and I wouldnt shoot a turkey over 50 yards anyway - usually about 30 yards.

I dont think I would pay the extra money for tss in that 12 ga. The longbeard pattern is a dead turkey at what - 20% the cost? I see the tss as a game changer in smaller gauges. I used tss for a couple years in my 12 ga but went back to longbeard. Just didnt see the advantage inside 50 yards - and I wouldnt shoot a turkey over 50 yards anyway - usually about 30 yards.
I agree that the extra money is not worth it, and I have been happy with the Long Beard XR. I bought the TSS with some Cabela’s cards from Christmas so I could say, “I’ve tried it.” So far, no turkey have avoided the XR’s impact in the eleven years I have owned the Tri-Star. For that matter, the turkey didn’t avoid the old 12g 870 using a 2 3/4” #4 shot that came in a box of 25 for $4.00. Hummmmm.

What I did not show was the 20 yard patterns, as those are the shots that concern me the most. If I had the money and time I would have liked to play with several chokes., but for now I am heading to the field with the confidence needed. It was also a nice break in a day that was focused on picking up sticks and mowing.

I agree that the extra money is not worth it, and I have been happy with the Long Beard XR. I bought the TSS with some Cabela’s cards from Christmas so I could say, “I’ve tried it.” So far, no turkey have avoided the XR’s impact in the eleven years I have owned the Tri-Star. For that matter, the turkey didn’t avoid the old 12g 870 using a 2 3/4” #4 shot that came in a box of 25 for $4.00. Hummmmm.

What I did not show was the 20 yard patterns, as those are the shots that concern me the most. If I had the money and time I would have liked to play with several chokes., but for now I am heading to the field with the confidence needed. It was also a nice break in a day that was focused on picking up sticks and mowing.
I went the same route. Killed dozens of turkeys with the 3” longbeards and my son thought I needed to use some tss. First turkey I shot at with tss at 35 yards I crippled. Fortunately was able to take him on the second shot. Obviously my fault for not centering him up with first shot. My son bought me ten shells. I used a few for patterning. Killed two turkeys and three or four hogs and after they ran out, have gone back to longbeards. I do see a real advantage using tss in the smaller ga shotguns. And in a 12 ga, they will provide extended range - but in my opinion - if someone is shooting turkeys past 50 yards, they are turkey hunting for the wrong reason. I really like them about 30 yds. Good luck tomorrow - our AR season opens then, too

Reactions: 356
I won't shoot at a turkey over 40 yards or so, but you gotta remember not everyone is retired with unlimited time to hunt. Some guys only get a few days to try and make it happen.

Monday April 15 is the start of Missouri’s Turkey Season. My turkey gun in a Tri-Star Viper Max (12g, 3 1/2”). Historically I have used Winchester Long Beard XR in 3 1/2”, but this year I am trying Federal TSS 3”. I patterned at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. The right is the TSS, the center is the XR and the left is my wife’s 20g 870 using Fiocci TSS at 40 yards. The Tri-Star has a tru-glo bead sight and the 870 has a traditional bead sight. Not great patterns, but dead birds nonetheless.

View attachment 63732
What is the constriction on the 12ga vs 20 ga choke? 20 looks tighter.

I won't shoot at a turkey over 40 yards or so, but you gotta remember not everyone is retired with unlimited time to hunt. Some guys only get a few days to try and make it happen.
I agree. I worked for a lot of years and never starved to death because I passed a turkey. I turkey hunt for the show - not the meat. A turkey is meant to be called up and put on a show, not to be sniped at 60 or 70 yards - in my opinion, of course😉

What is the constriction on the 12ga vs 20 ga choke? 20 looks tighter.
The 20g is a modified (per ammo recommendation for TSS) and the 12g is full. The 12g at 40 yards was much tighter, so it’s now really apples to apples.