A story of frustration, and a less than awesome solution

Seems to be almost a different world hunting out West. I've watched the warden shows, and they are all from Montana or thereabouts. Based on those shows they really seem to take game laws rather seriously out there. I'm not sure what you would have to do to get in trouble in Ohio, but probably something pretty brazen.

It’s probably even more localized than state. Our county currently has a young, motivated fish and game officer. A few years ago a single officer was covering 4 counties. Personal motivation, department priorities, and work load have a play here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Game wardens, law enforcement are top notch here

I sought them out (along with the neighbors) for introduction when i first bought the property 16 years ago

bill

It’s probably even more localized than state. Our county currently has a young, motivated fish and game officer. A few years ago a single officer was covering 4 counties. Personal motivation, department priorities, and work load have a play here.

That makes sense. That was my experience in Ontario. No one ever stopped me to check my license before the new young conservation officer took over, but then I was checked 5 times in one summer.

I must be doing it wrong because I have put out corn for years and years in front of my trail cameeas and you hardly ever see pics of mature bucks in daylight on corn piles.
Granted I dont put out but about 15-20lbs at a time but never see many older deer in daylight.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What you're saying is we all wanna kill big, old deer. But maybe the journey thru habitat is a reward in itself?

Just frustrating when we house em, and the neighbors kill em.

Oh Well, I like turnips and apple trees too much to quit

I hunt almost exclusively public land… only manage a small family 40 in one of the lowest deer density areas of texas. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard from the public land neighbors that they house all the good bucks and the public hunters kill them all.
They will show me pictures of mature bucks at their feeders at midnight, and i don’t have the heart to tell them that the buck’s core area is actually over 1/2 a mile away on the public and that I have a dozen September and October videos of them mid day in dense cover food.

I have no doubt that neighbors have a big impact on herd dynamics, but it definitely goes both ways. Even if the neighbor does zero improvements, i think we would all be surprised how much deer still utilize their parcels. Im doing habitat work for habitat’s sake, and i know the property will NEVER turn out a 130.

I agree I will see alot more mature bucks on a small clover plot than I do at a feeder during daylight.And for landowners in the states that have to put up with a DNR that doesn't know or care about their deer herd,the ones that think they can stop CWD with snipers remember only voters can change things and good luck.I wonder if theirs ever been any accidental diesel spills around their corn piles

Do you guys think corn will provide feed value for a longer time standing or batwinged to the ground? Like if I could get 4 more weeks from leaving it standing, could I possibly get 6 weeks if I chop it? Or other way around

Do you guys think corn will provide feed value for a longer time standing or batwinged to the ground? Like if I could get 4 more weeks from leaving it standing, could I possibly get 6 weeks if I chop it? Or other way around
other way around. If you cut it and put it on the ground, they'll hammer it and it'll be gone.

We have federal law enforcement for this scenario.

But…maybe they don’t care either?
Feds won't get involved for that here. State Game Commission. It's not that the wardens don't care - they'll fine the "big-money, well connected" guys. But the violations continue. It's more of a one-time fine type of thing. Repeat trips to stay on the offenders doesn't seem to happen. Why?? Connections. Their offenses never make the papers like ordinary folks' violations do. Can't embarrass the "pillars of the community."

Last edited:
Unfortunately reporting people like that can get you into more trouble than the offenders.
Agreed. It comes down to who has more "juice" with local and state officials. If they golf together, belong to the same clubs, etc. - then the REPORTER of violations becomes the target / "bug under a microscope." YOU get more attention than the original violators. But ......... I know someone who was able to "even the score." He took a few dandies from their corn pile locations. It wasn't me, either, but he told me of his adventures!!! I got a kick out of his stories. He figured if THEY were going to cheat - he was going to cheat the cheaters. And he did.

I’ve struggled with the decision to put out “defensive baiting” stations or not. We own 172 and all the neighbors bait on 10-30 acres which is perfectly legal in NC. There was corn in my last spring turkey and in the buck I shot last weekend.

IF we didn’t have bears I would participate. They’re the main reason I haven’t started baiting.

Bears do not typically bother corn much.

Bears do not typically bother corn much.

They do in western NC. I dumped out a few bags last October. One of the biggest bears I’ve had on camera camped on it for 4 days, never had a single deer picture while he was there. That may be anecdotal but neighbors with feeders have them ripped down by bears often.

bc22f231d3dc5f324b736b5ff89c2ed1.jpg

In Arkansas, if you have bears, you cant afford to replace feeders. We use corn to bait and hunt bears. To hot here for meat based bait

In Ontario bears go nuts for corn.

They do in western NC. I dumped out a few bags last October. One of the biggest bears I’ve had on camera camped on it for 4 days, never had a single deer picture while he was there. That may be anecdotal but neighbors with feeders have them ripped down by bears often.

bc22f231d3dc5f324b736b5ff89c2ed1.jpg

Im in north eastern N.C. and like you said the Bears love corn and once they get on a site deer sightings drastically reduce.
8104184421745e6134dde49c14087cbb.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Roy,

As you know I deal with the same issue. Here is how I deal with it, and there may be other options too.

1. A co-op with neighbors is certainly advisable, but go into it with the understanding that your neighbor is not likely to honor the rules as well as you do. My best neighbor does something he regrets or his guest regret at least once every year. Nevertheless, it is better than no united attempt to raise older bucks.
2. Fight a camp fire with a forest fire. When the are pouring out 25 or 50 lbs of corn close to your line, start dumping gravity wagons in the core of your property next to sanctuaries or areas of cover and all other items they need such as water. Even if you don’t hunt over the bait, it does help protect the deer. It will not save them all because they wander, but it does help.
3. I tend to agree the more acreage you have in thick cover the better. It is better than plots, water, bait, and all else in our area of the world.
4. Try to educate the small acreage folks like the gentleman or lady who noted above that small land owners think baiting close to the line is the only way to compete with large owners. That is just simply a statement from someone who assumes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. By way of example, I have a close friend that has hunted my main farm every week since season came in this September. He is a great hunter and he has not connected on a mature buck. Large tracks of land lets say 1,000 acres or more with 80 percent cover means bucks, does, and fawns are not use to seeing much interaction with humans. If you put in plots, water, bait and improve cover, the truth of the matter is they don’t move around a ton every single day. At times, they move a lot no doubt. But, darn the majority of the time they may be nocturnal, many have a really small core area, and certainly go on high alert when they encounter human activity - more so than on a small tract of land. Thus it can be really tough to hunt a huge tract regardless of what others may think. I have some 25 to 40 acre farms some distance from my main place, and they see human activity around them and through them every week if not every day. Those deer get use to it, and are far easier to hunt. So please don’t tell me as a small landowner that you have to bait close to the line to have a chance at a good buck unless you own both types of farms. This is a long way of saying talk to your neighbors.
4. For the neighbors that are a pain in the rear, and I only have one. Well here is what we do. We post that property line the first day of gun season (both seasons) and the first day of muzzleloader season every year. Actually, do it three years in a row and they pretty much stop hunting the property line during gun season at least.
5. I would love to see Ohio ban baiting I really would, but I don’t think it will without significant cases of CWD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just hunt, have fum ,enjoy what you do and did and above all be proud of what you harvest. Then accept that not everyones goals need to be your goals.

Just hunt, have fum ,enjoy what you do and did and above all be proud of what you harvest. Then accept that not everyones goals need to be your goals.
When someone else’s unethical activities effect my happiness and undermine a ton of hard work meant to benefit the big picture, forgive me if I don’t applaud their “success”.
Talking about corn, not shooting small bucks.

Baiting is unethical?