A pocketful of jewels

KDdid

5 year old buck +
I have a section of drainage ditch at the very north end of my farm. The banks are low, the whole surrounding area stays damp, and I seldom disturb it, preferring to shove some willow whips and dogwood cuttings into it during the late winter months. Happily, I found a large number of jewelweed clumps growing along the margins.
The deer have been heavily browsing the jewelweed all summer, and I decided to swing by the patch this morning to check it for seed pods. They were loaded-so I filled a pocketful.
f78b13316da9b627a379fe1a31936b41.jpg

It takes a deft hand to collect these, for as soon as you put pressure on the pods they explode, sending the seeds flying! Grab them quickly, and release them into a bag (or pocket) where they crack open with a satisfying POP!
fe1b7a3a6773264ee9eb2b5c9a3577a8.jpg

The resulting mess will get dried out on a paper plate, where I’ll separate the seeds from the dried hulls, and put them aside for spring planting.
34aad4e6249fbd3633921a4b059d12d2.jpg

I’m using a method called “winter sowing” in jugs(which also works great for starting any seed that needs stratification) and I hope to establish this plant in a damp section of my old field next to my yard.
3b94ad2b1be1e73faf48dc79908e0b02.jpg

Last edited:
Nice post, very interesting. I have to say I didn't know much at all about this.

I’m learning a ton from “non-hunting“ related groups on Facebook like the INPAWS (Indiana Native Plants and Wildflowers Society). We have similar interests, and I know I see some familiar faces between here and these groups. If you look at that first photo you can see how much deer seem to enjoy this plant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We uaed to call them "pop bananas" when I was a little kid. Didn't know the deer were so fond of the plant.

I have quite a bit of it growing around my place... will have to try and gather some seed, I have a could areas where I would like to see it growing as a browse spot that is wet. Thanks for the tip.

We uaed to call them "pop bananas" when I was a little kid. Didn't know the deer were so fond of the plant.
Id put it in among the top summer food preferences. My deer love it.
I never thought about gathering the seeds.

Like most things, once you start noticing it, you see it everywhere. I located about 100’ of jewelweed along a roadside on my way to work. I think I’ll go by there early tomorrow and collect some more. I think it will do well along the margins of my two wet areas where I don’t currently have any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good stuff.
Those seeds are edible. IIRC they have a slight nutty taste.

I can't say I have ever collected the seed, but I have my fair share of jewelweed as well and I can attest that the deer love the stuff as well.

It's all over around here. We have some patches at camp too. I haven't actually seen deer eat it, but that may be due to our food plots. (?) I'll have to check for browsing next trip.

About once a year, the stuff really takes over a rock garden along my home, which deer don't enter.
I let the JW grow a bit, then I toss it out away from the house...deer pound even the stuff I've pulled.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have several places where you can tell the deer frequent because the JW looks like the first pic in the OP. Every leave nipped off. I watch for this browse to tell me things during the summer in areas I don't have cams posted. I have a waterhole in a damp area and the deer just hammer the JW in that area. Even in my area with few deer, they will beat up a JW plant when they find one they like.

Jewel weed is also the antidote for poison oak... if you are exposed to poison oak, crush up the jewel weed stem and rub the sap onto where you were exposed to P.O

Our deer in western NC love JW as well, luckily I have a ton of it! Another nickname is "touch-me-not" referring to the seed pods exploding as soon as you touch them. I was standing next to a big patch of jewel weed on the evening of 14 September. It was quiet an I could hear the pods popping on their own and distributing seed. They're likely all done for the year at my place.

IMAG0722.JPGqYuj2nmZTkalnwFKoogoZg.jpg