A few Tbud photos

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
I checked on my trees and tbuds over the weekend. I have a few tbud grafts that are obvious failures but I think it will turn out very successful. On some I am worried it will heal over the bud. A dozen have popped leaves, several flowered. Here are some photos.

Swelling bud on right side
Tbud swelling.jpg.jpg
Flowering
Tbud flowering.jpg.jpg
Two tbuds with the most growth
Tbud growth.jpg.jpg

They look great to me!

I'm no expert, but I had a similar success last year with t-budding. However, while doing my dormant season pruning I got over zealous and removed the tree above the 'successful' t-bud before leaf out that Spring. I guess I should have waited because I killed the whole tree as a result. Next time I'll wait for leaf out before selecting the t-bud as the new leader.

I plan to take a similar "wait and see" approach before removing nurse limbs and choosing between multiple t buds.

Here are a couple more photos. This is a G222 that was bench grafted to Dolgo but never did much. Popped a few leaves and stopped. So I tbudded it to Kerr crab from GRIN. I ran out of pvc grafting tape so this is some flagging tape that was more stretchy. I had my father take off the tape a couple weeks ago but forgot about this one. One of the Kerr buds had leafed out and wants to flower. Photos before and after removing tape.
Kerr tbud with tape still on.jpg Kerr tbud tape off.jpg