3pt spreader.... thinking about buying one

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Well, I've just about worn out the over the bag shoulder spreader I've had for five years. It's done thousands of pounds through it. I'm seriously considering the king kutter poly 3 point spreader. I mostly spread rye, oats, and soybeans. Then would hand spread the clover.

I would love to just throw all the rye oats and beans into the cone and go. It would be so much faster then hand spreading 25 pounds at a time.

If you have one, how do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge time saver for me. Mine is metal. Don't know the brand. Works fine for seeds like cereal where you use a lot of seed per acre and the exact rate isn't real important. I use mine mostly for WR.

Thanks,

Jack

Just go poly.....I have a metal one that is rusting away because of poor care and running fertilizer thru it. Keep in mind you also need to still be concerned about similar seed size - the bouncing around will cause the smaller seed to come out first otherwise. They also do NOT handle small seed well at all without some sort of carrier.....so you will still have applications where you will need that shoulder spreader.

Yep, if you use metal, you need to clean it very well if you run fertilizer through it. I don't use it for fertilizer and as J-bird says, I still use my chest mount solo spreader for small seed. Occasionally I'll use the winter rye as the carrier and mix in small seed if I'm in a hurry. It is much faster, but you can get some pretty uneven distribution of small seed. In some cases that doesn't matter much, but in some it does. If I'm trying to establish perennial clover, I want an even distribution of clover so I use the solo. That seeding will form the basis for the field for the next 5-10 years. When I surface broadcast a cover crop into standing beans or just as a fall plot, I care much less about even distribution of seed.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, I've just about worn out the over the bag shoulder spreader I've had for five years. It's done thousands of pounds through it. I'm seriously considering the king kutter poly 3 point spreader. I mostly spread rye, oats, and soybeans. Then would hand spread the clover.

I would love to just throw all the rye oats and beans into the cone and go. It would be so much faster then hand spreading 25 pounds at a time.

If you have one, how do you like it?

I have also spread 1000s of lbs of seed & fertilizer in my double harness shoulder spreader. It holds up to 35 lbs and I have walked probably over 350 miles spreading seed. I spread 40 lbs of red slover today.

Upgraded to a Fimco ATV mount electric spreader this year. I could do soy bean, oats, rye, winter peas & fertilizer. Problem was round seeds like peas & beans would bind up the sprinning spreader. Can only do about 75 lbs of seed at a time.

Based on comments here, I am upgrading to the King Kutter poly next spring.

What I'd really like to have in a spreader is a herd. They can meter fine seed at low rates as well as handling large seed. The only big issue is the cost. They are expensive.

Thanks,

Jack

If you have an ATV or UTV buy a herd seeder and do NOT run fertilizer through it. It will spread about 50 pounds of beans or cereal grains at a time. It is also the best seeder ever for broadcasting clover. I have a no-till drill, planters, a Herd 750 3pt hitch and a herd 3pt smaller seeder and I still go to the ATV seeder for several plots. If you are going to spread fertilizer get a cone and do the best job you can of cleaning it immediately and spraying it down with diesel and oil. I have a baltimatic that has worked for years. I have never used my Herd 750 - saving it for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't want that 750 taking up all that barn space. Send it to me and I'll charge you a very low rate to hold on to it for you until you need it!

I just bought one f rom TSC and I couldn't find a poly one anywhere around me.I use mine for fertilizer,They are tricky to get adjusted and you have to take off your quick hitch if you have one but to use once or twice a year it was nice when spreading several hundred pounds of fertilizer

Mine is from TSC also

I learned from one of our moderators( can't remember who) to buy WD 40 by the gallon and use with 1 gallon sprayer

All moving parts on all equipment/implements get a brief shower after use

bill

Thanks you guys! That is all great to know. Can't wait to pick one up for next year.

Old thread but - Anyone use a 3 pt poly for broadcasting larger seed like milo, sunflowers or soybeans?

Would keep using the over the shoulder for clover, brassica, etc..

Old thread but - Anyone use a 3 pt poly for broadcasting larger seed like milo, sunflowers or soybeans?

Would keep using the over the shoulder for clover, brassica, etc..

For broadcasting seed, I don't think the cone material matter's much. The working parts are generally metal. You may have less degradation with poly, especially if you use it to broadcast fertilizer, but I'd clean either type well after doing that. I have a metal land pride unit. I had the spinner metal wear out after a few years. There was no grease fitting on that moving part of mine.

For broadcasting seed, I don't think the cone material matter's much. The working parts are generally metal. You may have less degradation with poly, especially if you use it to broadcast fertilizer, but I'd clean either type well after doing that. I have a metal land pride unit. I had the spinner metal wear out after a few years. There was no grease fitting on that moving part of mine.

Ha yes, didn't mean to zero in on material. Only looking poly because I will use for fertilizer on occasion. Most interested in the seeding uniformity and how narrow I can run the coverage for one? Wondering if PTO power will get it crazy far and I would be wasting a lot of seed in adjacent NWSG/early successional strips.

I have a Herd 750 3 pt, but don't use it much. My plots are pretty small, usually ony 2 acres so I just use the Earthway bag seeder and get some exercise. For fertilizer application, the Herd gets used! As far as seeds go, it's used for milo, beans, oats and cereal rye. No issues, but the super small stuff like clover would be tough. Use the RPM to adjust the distance thrown. It's not like a drill; there will be waste and non-uniform overlap!

I have a herd 3 pt spreader/seeder. It holds up to 900lbs and really works good but is a pain in the ass to switch over(quick hitch doesn't work with it). This year i used it last and still have it hooked up to the tractor and it will get used in the spring to overseed all my plots. Seems to work with small seeds as long as they are the same size. Peas and clover should not be done at the same time!

I don't follow the chart that says to drive 8-10 miles per hour and do an acre in 3 minutes(too damn rough). I adjust the flow of seed and drive about 3 1/2 miles an hour when seeding.

I have a herd 3 pt spreader/seeder. It holds up to 900lbs and really works good but is a pain in the ass to switch over(quick hitch doesn't work with it). This year i used it last and still have it hooked up to the tractor and it will get used in the spring to overseed all my plots. Seems to work with small seeds as long as they are the same size. Peas and clover should not be done at the same time!

That is one reason we had them put a cement floor in the barn. I just drop implements like that on a dolly. It is then easy to wheel them around and hook them up.

Another option is the ATV/UTV Bumper Buddy seed spreader, if you wanted to go with something you didn't have to attach to your tractor or if you have a receiver hitch on your tractor you could use this.

Mine is from TSC also

I learned from one of our moderators( can't remember who) to buy WD 40 by the gallon and use with 1 gallon sprayer

All moving parts on all equipment/implements get a brief shower after use

bill
My dad had a wholesale plumbing and electrical business he and a partner started in the 50's. When WD-40 first came out, they came to him and asked him to be the sole distributor in Georgia. He said they were in the electrical and plumbing business, not the lubricant business. He kept a gallon unopened in our basement until his death 7 years ago at the age of 97 to remind himself not to make THAT mistake again! :-)