3pt Cultivators

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have a 3pt chisel plow or cultivator that they really like? I have a Dearborn cultivator but I have broke a couple shanks already. I want something that will rip up the soil better and be a little more rugged. http://www.bushhog.com/catalog/tillage/plows//all-purpose-plows/ I kind of want to try one of these. I know that you have to run minimal shanks or it will constantly plug up and I like the idea of the springs for hitting rocks and what not. Any thoughts?

That looks like some of the old time stuff like this pic I swiped from another forum. My buddy let's me borrow his Dearborn one just like the pic below and it works great on busting up new areas and pulls basketball sized rocks right up to the surface to get later with tractor or skips over the big ones. Right after that you can use a regular disc and get a pretty decent worked up area.
Spring tooth cultivator.jpg
Highly useful for opening or adding to new plots, after that don't need it much. Here is pic of worked area that was pasture for about 30 years and adding to small food plot.
DSC00774 (Large).JPG

That is what I am looking for, something that can do that. I knew Dearborn made one like that but all I ever seem to see around here are the cultivator ones. So basically that bush hog one should work similar I would think.

I found an old John Deere 6' cultivator that does a great job for breaking sod like that. I believe it has 3 rows of spring loaded shanks. It's essentially an old time version of that brush hog one you pictured. I believe I picked it up for $500 on Craigslist.

I check clist everday almost, and just don't see anything like come up for sale.

Check out Wagner Implements and Everything Atrachments. EA sells some nice heavy duty ones in many sizes and ships for free. Wagner custom builds stuff to your liking. I just got a quote on an 8’er from him with the rolling clod buster behind it. Not sure if Wagner has a website but he has a Facebook page if you search Wagner implements. For used I would scour the FB market pages (farm and garden). I see them on there a lot.

i have seen a spring loaded cultivator like I posted once in the last five years on Craiglist. I sent a reply within a day and never got an answer back and it was gone off board quickly. In contrast, I see several cultipackers every month and have driven by a few for sale along some country roads. Maybe Facebook is the new spot to look but these are a bit hard to come across in my area as well. I do see a bunch of the cultivators with no springs, dime a dozen and no comparison for trying to use on rocky ground.

I can get that bush hog one for $900. Probably will go that route, one nice thing about buying new is that it will be easy to get parts if something breaks.

If bush hog would sell the shank set ups fairly reasonable, I bet they would bolt right onto the Dearborn frame. But my guess is that there wouldn't be any savings over just buying the whole thing new.

I check clist everday almost, and just don't see anything like come up for sale.

search chisel and or all purpose plow on craigslist.
Lots of them in Illinois.
$500.00 is what I paid for a 6 footer.
Got a 10 footer in Omaha area for 300.00