Thoughts on chisel plows

MNAaron

5 year old buck +
We have a couple different properties (15 miles apart) and are getting tired of transporting equipment back and forth so we are thinking about getting some different equipment to leave at each farm. One farm we plant 10 acres and the other farm we plant approximately 7 acres. One farm we have the typically plow and disk for tillage. The other farm we have a 6 foot tiller and no disk. I guess my question for you guys is what are your thoughts on getting a chisel plow rather than a disk for the property where we do not have a disk? We do not plant corn anymore so residue is not a problem. We plant beans, peas, rye, and brassicas as our annual plantings usually. The tiller works great however it is slower to use when you simply want to incorporate fertilizer or lime etc...sorry for the long book I just wrote just looking for opinions before we buy a new disk or chisel plow.

If you have a tiller - why would you need a plow or disc? Maybe I mis-understood. I am not familiar with actually using a tiller, but I would think that it would do all the tillage you could ask for in an established plot.

j-bird - You are correct however sometimes when you are putting in bigger plots the tiller takes a long time and since I am a weekend warrior my time is precious. I was thinking about getting something for doing a quicker job of fertilizer incorporation, leveling trails etc...and I was thinking it would handle rocks better. Some of our plots are better at growing rocks than crops.

The unit that Tooln posted would be a great choice in the conditions you are talking about Aaron.

I have one nearly identical to it, and it gets a lot of use on our place. probably the most use of any implement.

Biglakeba$$ - Thanks I was thinking it would work good since we have a pull behind spring tooth we use for the utv that we love just nice to hear that others use it before I drop any cash on it. Tough decision since I know a disk would work too.

Now off to try Foggy's rain dance technique...hope I have enough beer since it sounds like a critical component of the ritual.

Hey be careful with that dancin. We don't need no floods or droughts.

[URL=http://www.sherv.net/][/URL]

No worries Tooln I can't drink like I once did so I will pass out long before I dance long enough to cause floods. It sounds like you have more to worry about if some of the other guys on this forum start to dance...ha ha

j-bird - You are correct however sometimes when you are putting in bigger plots the tiller takes a long time and since I am a weekend warrior my time is precious. I was thinking about getting something for doing a quicker job of fertilizer incorporation, leveling trails etc...and I was thinking it would handle rocks better. Some of our plots are better at growing rocks than crops.

I feel like a chisel plow is going to pull up a lot more rocks than a disc. I have used both a larger finishing type disc and a smaller offset brush disc that you can adjust the angles on and they both worked fine for getting the ground worked up for a food plot. They both kept the rocks from popping out too much and causing trouble.

I was picking some rocks with the skid steer in one of our plots last year and it seemed like it I picked to many we could lose a few feet of elevation when the soil falls back into the holes