37 acres about 5 miles straight east of me, this is for Dipper

Looks nice

Almost $4000 an acre? Is that going rate for that county?

If it was tillable ag land it would be closer to $6,000-$8,000 in that area. Someone will pay $4,000 an acre for that piece, and I don't see it being on the market all that long at that price either. Oh yeah, all important east access as well!

Actually, I think it is a little steep on the price, I have owned my 40 for about 4 years now and paid $2450 an acre. I have an easement to get to mine but I think land is going quicker now. Mine is similar with the east access. If I didn't have my piece I would be all over this. From my land to this piece is qdm. Scoot

Last edited:
I agree, I have been telling my friends. Scoot

The reason I ask, is I see Crawford County Wisc land for $2400-3000/ac consistently. Must be quite a difference between the two counties? There is a real nice dead end road farm in Crawford, almost all timber, with some tillable (includes an old farm house and barn) Super nice scenic location--for $2800 an acre and it's been on market for awhile.

Crawford county is quite a bit farther from Madison (and Milwaukee of course)...and is a poorer area economically than is Iowa County. Crawford is a beautiful area of the state and I wouldn't hesitate to buy there if I were looking for deer hunting land. Crawford is in the Driftless area, Iowa is not.

It is a nice area--very scenic and looks like good deer and turkey. I looked at a farm in Grant County (which did not work) but poked around Crawford and then up to Buffalo and that area. Might consider selling one of my farms and buy over there.

On the far west portion of Iowa ct, land is cheaper then the east end by about 1000 an acre, my piece and the listed piece are on the far west end of iowa ct. Scoot

Crawford County is one of the prettier parts of WI IMHO. Yes, good deer and turkey...and trout fishing
Better get your legs in shape though... ;)

LOL, no kidding I walked to the top of the bluff on one farm and I thought I was going to do the Fred Sanford "I'm going to join you Elizabeth"

I would agree scoot, the closer you are to Mad-town the higher those prices will be. The biggest detriment to the price as deer hunting land would potentially be the fact that you would be right on the western doorstep of the CWD hotzone. You are only about 25 miles from the area where hundreds of cases of CWD positive deer have been harvested and better than 25% of all adult bucks are said to now carry the disease. That might be a detriment to some buyers?

Crawford County is one of the prettier parts of WI IMHO. Yes, good deer and turkey...and trout fishing
Better get your legs in shape though... ;)

Yep Turkey hunted down there before we had a turkey population up here. My brothers and I did a lot of walking just North of Bocobel along Highway 60. There was a couple of spots when you got to the top you could see the Wisconsin river and surrounding area. Beautiful scenery but a guy was sucking air to see it.

Try doing all that with no cartilage left in your knees!:eek:

I would agree scoot, the closer you are to Mad-town the higher those prices will be. The biggest detriment to the price as deer hunting land would potentially be the fact that you would be right on the western doorstep of the CWD hotzone. You are only about 25 miles from the area where hundreds of cases of CWD positive deer have been harvested and better than 25% of all adult bucks are said to now carry the disease. That might be a detriment to some buyers?

This would deter me personally. And it was a factor for me to buy farther up north.

A lot of that stuff is changing now with the new rules. We still have mandatory testing, but it seems like it will be more random and more in the outlying areas. They already know the deer in the hotzone have it, it is in the soil, and it isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Part of the Kroll-Aid recommendations, as he comment that the DNR shouldn't worry about it as much as they have in the past and take a more "passive" approach to CWD management, thus the de-listing(for lack of a better term) of the CWD Intensive Management Zone, and just calling the whole area the CWD Affected Areas. Smoke and mirrors management of a serious disease as far as I see it.

Last edited:
That is exactly what their mindset is.