2016 NUT/ SEED EXCHANGE

Needmorebrush82

5 year old buck +
We exchange nuts and seeds every yr so lets get this started! I have persimmon seed, large burs, post oak,and blackjack oak. I would like any type of hybrid oak that is out there.

Last edited:
I have cold hardy asian pears, just started ripening now.

Looking for big burr oaks, persimmons.

I have persimmon , and Chinese chestnut

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to collect some Allegheny Chinquapin nuts from my native trees this year. I've identified a few trees with nuts, but they were not yet open last weekend. I need to get to them before the squirrels and deer. If so, I should have some to share.

If anyone has some Seguins (Dwarf Chinese/Asian Chestnut), I'd like to get a few. I bought a bunch last spring from Schumacher but everyone I tried to germinate so far has had mold issues. I still have some left in cold storage to try this winter but I expect to have the same results.

Thanks,

Jack

For guys who may have some to share but have never sent any, what is the best way to ship acorns and such? I always see mentions of mold and other issues, can one just throw them in a Zip-Lock, box them up, and send them standard mail and they will be fine? Or are there other precautionary steps that need to be addressed?

For guys who may have some to share but have never sent any, what is the best way to ship acorns and such? I always see mentions of mold and other issues, can one just throw them in a Zip-Lock, box them up, and send them standard mail and they will be fine? Or are there other precautionary steps that need to be addressed?
Most of us make sure the caps are off and the acorn has been rinsed really well. From there we will float test everything and inspect for any insect damage. I have always put mine in a ziplock bag and mailed them 2 day priority shipping. Never had a mold issue that way or received anything with mold that way. It's generally $6.80 at the post office to ship priority in the small flat rate box. Hope this helps!

Flat Rate Box is $6.80 and the Inside Diameter size of the box is 5 3/8 by 8 5/8 by 1 5/8

I just obtained three at the post office and I have ordered 100 of these free online.

I can get 50 to 52 Chinese Chestnuts in that size flat rate box. When you change the box sizes that the US Post Office provides the postage rate will change accordingly.

A flat rate box is first class, insured and you obtain a tracking number that you can look up on line to know where it is located.

If you have a long shipping distance between sender and purchaser - always ship on Monday or Tuesday to avoid nuts / acorns sitting over the weekend in an environment that might reduce germination.

If I hold them over the weekend at home to ship on Monday I am storing them in a friendly environment.

I hope this info is helpful.

Thanks guys, I have only hand delivered acorns before, so I wasn't sure how you all were shipping stuff like that. Very helpful and the Monday/Tuesday ship days makes sense.

Wayne,

Good point. Not all seeds/nuts require the same care. Chestnuts, as you know, are particularly susceptible to mold because of the high carb content. We never know what the conditions are during shipment. Other seeds and nuts may be significantly less susceptible to mold.

Nuts and seeds, while the central topic of this thread, are not the only plant material we exchange. We exchange scions, bud sticks, cuttings, and occasionally even seedlings. Concerns for each of these can be unique by plant and type. Some scions are susceptible to mold but may also break dormancy depending on length of time in shipping and conditions. Cuttings can have similar problems. Bud sticks have their own possible issues. Sometimes, including hydrated media along with the material can be beneficial and for other materials it can work against you. Some plant materials are rare and precious and a tracking number can be important. Others are common and easily replaced if a shipment is lost in the mail.

The more methods we share like this aimed at the particular plant material like chestnuts, acorns, etc., the better.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't have anything to offer in return except for cash (or check or paypal payment), but I am interested in Sawtooth oak, Chinkapin oak, Burr oak (or burr oak hybrid), chestnuts, plums, pears, and crabapples.

I might be able to get some willow and hybrid poplar cuttings this winter / spring if you want to swap.

Last edited:
I won't be planting anything for a couple years, but if my work schedule permits I hope to collect some to send out. I have some Chinkapin oaks, Burr Oaks, Pin Oaks, Live Oaks, and Sawtooth Oaks located. I'm sure there are more I could locate, since the town I live in has been very active about mixing species in all of their parks and medians. I am not too good distinguishing between all the red oak and white oak hybrids, so I wouldn't throw them in without knowing for sure.
Unfortunately this is all contingent on being off when they start dropping, which should be soon. If I get any ill post up here and send them out for postage cost. The info y'all provide is more than enough compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that don't know ( or don't remember - me ) which acorn is good, a floater or a sinker ??

Regarding floaters - soak them overnight - not just 30 minutes or an hour. Many times over night the chestnut or acorn will become hydrated and will sink after it does.

If you are floating them for 30 minutes and discard all floaters - you are discarding some viable nuts.

Will some floaters germinate - Yes, but at a reduced rate? So most everyone discards a floater - I sure do.

I collected Chinese Chestnuts this afternoon and they are getting their hydration soaking all night long.

Because of appointments, I will work them up late Friday afternoon.

If anyone has any extra schuette oak acorns I would really like some. I would also like Concordia oak acorns but I doubt we have a source.

6,100 Chinese Chestnuts Collected, Hydrated, and Air Dried.

I collected on Thursday and I collected on Saturday. The photo below shows what a pile of 6,100 looks like. I use a nut wizard which an amazing resource.

6,100 Chestnuts in 2 Days.jpg

Anyone that is interested in getting a box, send me a private message on this forum or email me at wbpdeer@att.net

The photo has 17.5 gallons of chestnuts in it. Thanks for reading this post.

How many trees does that like represent?

How many trees does that like represent?

Are you asking me how many trees contributed to the pile? 4 on one location, 2 at another location, and about 20 at another location. The location with 4 trees provided me with a 5 gallon bucket full. The 20 trees dropping at one location provide me with two 5 gallon buckets. The 2 tree location provide me about 2.5 gallons. I was back at that 2.5 gallon location today and collected 2 gallons early this morning. It rained between 2.5 and 3.0 inches in our area on Saturday and I visited that location thinking it would be ready to pick up a bunch - not so. I was disappointed in 2 gallons.

Now if I didn't answer the question correctly, please follow up with me.

How many trees would 6,100 chestnuts produce? Germination at 92% would be my estimate. I would take 80% of the germination to make viable trees. A top-notch growing operation could generate between 4,400 and 4,500 trees. Beginners would get about 45 to 50% viable trees. These are general numbers.

I have seen beginners do great with Chinese Chestnuts and I have seen experience growers kill them all. You get what you get. Experimenting is bad when growing chestnuts.

Just my 2 cents...

Others will have their opinion and I say they have just as much right as I do to their 2 cents...;)

Last edited: