2013 Mount

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
I finally got the chance to pick up my 2013 buck from the taxidermist the other night! I'm pleased with the work, i never used this guy before. he had reasonable prices and a turnaround time that was on par with others in the area. hopefully i will be seeing him again soon.

He's the one on the left.

the lighting in my living room sucks...lol.

Looks like two old bucks there. Congrats.

Looks like two old bucks there. Congrats.
thanks chummer! the one on the lower left is the 2013 buck...i believe him to be a great 3 yr old for my area. The one in the upper right was believed to be a 3 yr old. I was hunting a friend's property when i shot him. My friend had his sheds and pics of him the year before when he was most likely a 2 yr old. That buck is from Suffolk County, NY.

Nice mount. Congrats on your deer. My tax man told me not to even call him for a year. Bummer.

Nice mount. Congrats on your deer. My tax man told me not to even call him for a year. Bummer.
Thanks NH! this guy's turnaround was about 10 months....which he told me it would take 9 months. Most places around me are 10-12, with some of the bigger names and higher dollar guys taking up to 18 months!

If you want a critique I'll need some close up. I see a couple things, but I don't want to ruin the moment. Nice bucks!

If you want a critique I'll need some close up. I see a couple things, but I don't want to ruin the moment. Nice bucks!

Thanks dip. There are few things I'm not absolutely thrilled about either...but I'm happy non-the-less. I went into it not expecting a show piece nor do i have the money for one. Certainly not in the market for a critique and I'll leave it at that.

PEEPS. We don't shoot young-uns' like that over in Lyco. !!! :D Just kiddin'. Nice bucks. That home-town buck is a dandy. He saw a few seasons. Bucks like him are a little more common these days than some years ago. Hope the trend continues.

PEEPS. We don't shoot young-uns' like that over in Lyco. !!! :D Just kiddin'. Nice bucks. That home-town buck is a dandy. He saw a few seasons. Bucks like him are a little more common these days than some years ago. Hope the trend continues.
I didn't think Lyco had any deer left? Lol! Thanks. Things are going well in my neck of the woods, deer numbers are solid, and some bucks get a little age!

That's a couple'a nice deer!

Phil - Glad to hear deer herd doing well over your way. Things are pretty good around my camp's area because of some cooperation & common sense between several camps. All doing food & cover planting too. When I get to yapping about low deer numbers in the northern counties on here, it's about how things got REALLY bad a few yrs. back. PGC seems to have tailored doe tag numbers more toward reality than previously. Still could be improved...... but it's a start.

The thing I'm curious about is how deer numbers will be affected by all the gas pipelines strung thru the mtns. So far, they seem to be a plus for food sources in areas that were just a sea of laurel. Better doe / fawning conditions? I guess you have the same going on over there. Let's hope the pipelines are a long-term plus all over the region. Anyway - I hope you get to launch a stick at a good one this season.

Phil - Glad to hear deer herd doing well over your way. Things are pretty good around my camp's area because of some cooperation & common sense between several camps. All doing food & cover planting too. When I get to yapping about low deer numbers in the northern counties on here, it's about how things got REALLY bad a few yrs. back. PGC seems to have tailored doe tag numbers more toward reality than previously. Still could be improved...... but it's a start.

The thing I'm curious about is how deer numbers will be affected by all the gas pipelines strung thru the mtns. So far, they seem to be a plus for food sources in areas that were just a sea of laurel. Better doe / fawning conditions? I guess you have the same going on over there. Let's hope the pipelines are a long-term plus all over the region. Anyway - I hope you get to launch a stick at a good one this season.

yeah i think the PGC has definitely started to wright the ship through doe tag allocation adjustments in the hardest hit areas...although it was not only a high number of doe tags available but a total lack of self restraint and trigger control that did the job in those areas.

the pipelines have been a HUGE success in the majority of cases i have seen. miles upon miles of edge habitat created and better food sources where there once was nothing. I will say that i have two pipelines that are in direct competition with my food plots now...so I'm def pissed about those two...lol! the one section of pipeline on the other side of the hill from me has the best looking white clover planting i have ever seen....and it is littered with apple trees along the edges...deer have been in it all the time! the one thing that scares me about the pipelines is that they often make perfect poaching rifle ranges and bucks that might not have ever been seen before may now become known and more pressure might be applied in that area.

Phil, Those look great - hope to have a few like yours hanging on my wall someday - Nice work!!

Nice looking mount, congrats!

It looks like theses main beams almost touch!!! Are the tips flat. Hard to tell by the angle of the pic. Nice deer!!!!

It looks like theses main beams almost touch!!! Are the tips flat. Hard to tell by the angle of the pic. Nice deer!!!!
Thanks!!! the tips are close together...maybe 4" apart. the tips do kinda get flat...kinda like a shallow spoon.