Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
The necessary ingredients=
A good kill on existing vegetation
The correct amount of thatch
A great amount of rain
The right amount and mix of seed
Developing your technique via practice

My mix = wheat, oats, buckwheat, rape, red clover, ladino clover, radish, chicory

IMG_4507.jpeg
IMG_4502.jpeg
IMG_4500.jpeg
IMG_4501.jpeg

How many lbs for each?

I mow all my plots with a push mower. haha. I don't have acres like most though. The goldenrod and the PTT stalks take a few passes but other than that it does a pretty good job. I just planted last weekend. I think I'm going to sneak up this weekend and see how it's doing.

How many lbs for each?
This is a rough estimate per acre.
wheat 20 lb
oats. 20 lb
buckwheat 20 lb
rape 1 lb
red clover 8 lb
ladino clover 5 lb
radish 1 lb
chicory 1.5 lb

My goal is to have a fall buffet and end up with a clover / chicory plot for next year.

This is almost what I am doing to a T. Good to see I am thinking correctly on my own. Main difference for me is rye over wheat. Only reason being I have to register to buy wheat from my coop. I also didn’t add buckwheat, but I am broadcasting into a stand. It has matured enough that there will be buckwheat seed in there. Added chicory because of all of you guys on this site. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The necessary ingredients=
A good kill on existing vegetation
The correct amount of thatch
A great amount of rain
The right amount and mix of seed
Developing your technique via practice

My mix = wheat, oats, buckwheat, rape, red clover, ladino clover, radish, chicory

View attachment 66765
View attachment 66766
View attachment 66767
View attachment 66768
Did you spray then mow or just mow?

Did you spray then mow or just mow?
Spray and allow to dry
Spread seed
Drive in circles to work seed down to soil
Wait 4 days and then mow

Last edited:
This is almost what I am doing to a T. Good to see I am thinking correctly on my own. Main difference for me is rye over wheat. Only reason being I have to register to buy wheat from my coop. I also didn’t add buckwheat, but I am broadcasting into a stand. It has matured enough that there will be buckwheat seed in there. Added chicory because of all of you guys on this site. Love it!

Welcome to the Chicory Cult my young padawan.

IMG_1415.jpeg

This is a wheat field I sprayed end of May. This pic is a week later spreading browntop millet seed with my ranger. Did nothing else but wait

IMG_2184.jpeg

This is browntop millet field today. Just starting to mature and brownup

Chicory is probably the least desirable thing I have planted. Typically heads out, goes to seed, with very little interest from the deer.

Chicory is probably the least desirable thing I have planted. Typically heads out, goes to seed, with very little interest from the deer.
It isn't that way here. First they eat the leaves, then they eat the stalks, and then they pull the roots out of the ground and eat them.

Doe Mouthfull Chicory.jpg

I'm curious if the phosphorus levels affect the palatability. Either of you guys know what your levels look like?

I'm curious if the phosphorus levels affect the palatability. Either of you guys know what your levels look like?
I have no idea on mine. I’ve never done a soil test in my life and have seldom used any lime or fertilizer.

The deer love our clover/chicory in Minnesota & Iowa. Chicory is very underrated, in my opinion!20240723_195904.jpeg

It blows my mind that you guys further north re already planting fall plots. Here in Texas, we re probably 6-8 weeks away from planting.

Phosphorus level is low at 3 ppm.

I bet Native has higher phos levels through his Regen methods. Buckwheat is supposed to be good at making it available to plants. Phos levels increase attractiveness to deer. I saw it with clover in a small area once. Looked great, but deer never touched it in poor, sandy soil.

It blows my mind that you guys further north re already planting fall plots. Here in Texas, we re probably 6-8 weeks away from planting.

We are 10 weeks until our first frost.

This is a rough estimate per acre.
wheat 20 lb
oats. 20 lb
buckwheat 20 lb
rape 1 lb
red clover 8 lb
ladino clover 5 lb
radish 1 lb
chicory 1.5 lb

My goal is to have a fall buffet and end up with a clover / chicory plot for next year.
Thanks!!