Who are you?

Welcome aboard Elbert

Hi all. I'm Elbert. I live in mid-Michigan but the property that I'm trying to manage is 80 acres, more or less, in east central Mississippi with the biggest share of it being in unmanaged 18 year old pines. Getting someone in to thin them out is the first major hurdle to overcome. Anyway, I'm glad to be here. Thanks for letting me in.
Welcome Elbert!

Hello everyone names Luckybuck. Live in West Central WI. Married 2 kiddos and about 68 acres to play with.

Hello All! My name's Caleb and I'm excited to join the forum (wish I would have found out about this place last winter, but hey, better late than never). I'm 25, soon-to-be-married, and located in SE Wisconsin w/ access to my family's land of approx. 70 acres (40ish wooded, 25ish marsh, and another 10 of field that we rent out). I'm a pension actuary working in northern IL, who uses his study hours at work to get away and sit in the stand.

I've always followed my Dad's footsteps when it comes to how I try to view/manage our property. I'm generally the only one who hunts/manages it nowadays as he no longer hunts it after he and my Mom got divorced. I'm trying to break myself of the habit of only looking at the land as he used to (population and vegetation are both very different from when he used to hunt it). I'm hoping the knowledge gained here will help me finally view the property with a different eye and allow me to manage it to the best of its (my) potential.

Thanks for reading and for any future advice you might lend!
Caleb
Caleb, what are in WI are you in? I grew up down that way!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hello everyone names Luckybuck. Live in West Central WI. Married 2 kiddos and about 68 acres to play with.
Luckybuck, what county are you in??

Jackson. And you Lee?

St Croix county now, grew up in vernon - Westby/Viroqua area.

You heading back down for Wild West Days this weekend per chance?

Name is Ed. Own 40 acres with a partner in the dead center of Kentucky. Will turn 70 next month. Cant work all day like I used to but still healthy enough to get it done. Just takes a bit longer. Looked for the right property for nearly 10 years before finding our place. Retired police officer after almost 30 years. Now do consulting and training for the profession. Live 1.5 hours away from our camp. We get down there at least once a week to perform chores. Absolutely love what we have turned the place into in the last 4 years. Lots of game on the place including quail. No B/C bucks but plenty of deer with some respectable bucks. Just added bee hives this year and already harvested honey. This last season my 9 year old grand daughter and 13 year old nephew took their first deer with me sitting in the stand beside them. I swear I enjoyed that more than any deer I have killed myself. Don't know how many more seasons I have but I know they will all be savored as long as I can share them with loved ones.

Great to hear about the mentoring of our youth and getting them involved in the sport we all love! I would rather watch the kids harvest something than to do it myself as well. Thanks for your service to your community Ed! I know a few LEO's and I tell them every time I see them what a thankless job they have.

Seems like a little spurt of new members lately. It's good to have more folks on board here. New perspectives and experiences are all for the positive to the knowledge base here. Welcome to all. I learned a ton of plot info from the gent above this post !! ^^^^^^^ Thanks Whip !!!

Mike from the Bluegrass of Kentucky.
Looking for a little help on some small food plots.

Mike from the Bluegrass of Kentucky.
Looking for a little help on some small food plots.

You’re in deep trouble. You came for help on little food plots and you’ll leave with a zillion other ideas. :).

Name is Rich, I live in Northern WI have 200 acres (120, 50 & 30 parcels) that I use for hunting and recreation.
I have had 80 acres in Northern MO for 8 or 9 years now and have been looking for the ideal property (secluded with a house and outbuildings) for the last 6 years, finally found a place that fits my needs to a T. Spent the last year fixing up the house and converting about 25 acres of hay fields to row crop (beans). Didn't get any small food plots in this year but that will be changing next year.

Name is Rich, I live in Northern WI have 200 acres (120, 50 & 30 parcels) that I use for hunting and recreation.
I have had 80 acres in Northern MO for 8 or 9 years now and have been looking for the ideal property (secluded with a house and outbuildings) for the last 6 years, finally found a place that fits my needs to a T. Spent the last year fixing up the house and converting about 25 acres of hay fields to row crop (beans). Didn't get any small food plots in this year but that will be changing next year.
Welcome Rich!

Welcome Rich.

Putnam is a good area. Great with the right neighbors!

Greetings, my name is Rick. I own about 50 acres in Texas that I bow hunt on. I’ve been hunting since I was a teen (that’s been a while ago) and have lived in several states mainly in the central part of the country. I finally have a place where I can chase and observe deer and other wildlife while trying to improve the land to make it more wildlife friendly.

Welcome Rick!
Greetings, my name is Rick. I own about 50 acres in Texas that I bow hunt on. I’ve been hunting since I was a teen (that’s been a while ago) and have lived in several states mainly in the central part of the country. I finally have a place where I can chase and observe deer and other wildlife while trying to improve the land to make it more wildlife friendly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hello, name is Rick, new to this forum. I have 40+ acres of timberland over in the northern central part of my state at an elevation of about 3400 feet close to the National Forest. Its fully timbered with about 95% ponderosa pines and the rest being douglas fir. I have half if it fenced with barbed wire to keep out free ranging cattle, but the wildlife have no trouble getting in. I have moose, bear, mule deer, white tail, bobcat, cougar, wolves, turkey, grouse, coyotes and plenty of small varmints too.

I have my acreage set up like a campground, cabin is the ranger station, campsites, solar well. All full of signage from campgroundsigns.com and plenty I made using the "State Park Fonts" stencil kit from Rockler woodworking.

I did purchase a new Kubota in 2017, the L2501 model with sunshade and back-blade. Plan on getting backhoe. Going to groom my campsites and create more. All campsites are marked and so is the water site just as you would see in a state park. I have the BBQ grilles on the stand and fire pits you see at State Parks. Those where purchased from northern tool. Each campsite has its own picnic table.

I added a container for some extra storage, added a roof to it and a overhang over door end and painted it to match the ranger station.

Picture of the new Kubota, has 6 hours on it now. Plan is to get it over there is spring. I have 20 yards of gravel stockpiled.

I did a full commercial thinning in spring of 2019, this was done under a cost share program with my state DNR. This will make my forest much healthier, beetle resistant and the best part, fire resistant. Video commercial on thinning, 90% at my place

Attachments

• ranger_station1 - Copy.jpg
    ranger_station1 - Copy.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 16
  • habitat_warning.jpg
    habitat_warning.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 16
  • ranger_uniform2.jpg
    ranger_uniform2.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 21
  • container_painted_frontLH.jpg
    container_painted_frontLH.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 15
  • kubota_intow.jpg
    kubota_intow.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 20
  • ontable.jpg
    ontable.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 20
  • well-front.jpg
    well-front.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 21
  • ice_cold_clear_water.jpg
    ice_cold_clear_water.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 21
  • steaks.jpg
    steaks.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 21
  • flagpole6blurr.jpg
    flagpole6blurr.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
As you can see, I have gotten a little carried away. Its been a very enjopyable hobby and I am creating wonderful habitat for wildlife and recreation for my family.

Attachments

• 1Front.png
    1Front.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 3Front.png
    3Front.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • doublejlogo_green.png
    doublejlogo_green.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 14
  • doublejlogo.jpg
    doublejlogo.jpg