Who are you?

My name is Shannon.... Been a lurker for a long time. Grateful for all the great info you guys post. Recently purchased 115 acres that borders the 130 acre family farm. Its located in central KY and consists of hills and hollers. Probably just a little over 2 acres of tillable ground. Got an acre and a half in clover (including my dads land) and am getting ready to put in a 1/2 acre of beans. We are currently building a house on the farm so my time is limited but one of my best friends is a wildlife biologist and we are working on a plan to include more food, habitat and a TSI. It's overwhelming right now because I don't get to spend much time there but hopefully we are living there by the fall. The farm was high graded by the guy I bought it from so we've got some work to do, but the ground is already in much better shape than what it was when purchased. Clover is in great shape and filling in nicely. Tried corn and beans last year....both failed. Crows and coons got the corn and the deer nipped the beans off as soon as they came up. Got an electric fence ready to go this time around. Hope to get the beans in the ground and fenced off this weekend. Fingers crossed it all works. If so, I'll have more deer than have ever set foot on that old rough piece of ground. It was mismanaged for years.....throw out some seed and hope for the best....when the plots failed, the guys would just dump hundreds of pounds of corn. We are working hard to undo a lot of his practices (poor soil, crab grass, blue grass etc).....got a long row to hoe but we will get there.

My son killed his first deer in one of the plots this year. He was seven at the time. It was an awesome moment and solidified our decision to move. We found ourselves packing up and leaving the neighborhood to do all the things we love. That in mind, we just figured we'd give it a try. I'll try and take pics as we go. Thanks again for all the valuable info. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Attachments

• DSC_0364.JPG
    DSC_0364.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome Shannon! Congrats to your son on his first deer.

Welcome Shannon! Congrats to your son on his first deer.
Thank you Scott!! I'd pass along the congrats but I'm tired of hearing him crow about it. I took a new job this year and had very limited time to hunt. Never closed the deal so the only venison that hit the table was his......and he aint let me hear the end of it since:emoji_laughing:

My name is Shannon.... Been a lurker for a long time. Grateful for all the great info you guys post. Recently purchased 115 acres that borders the 130 acre family farm. Its located in central KY and consists of hills and hollers. Probably just a little over 2 acres of tillable ground. Got an acre and a half in clover (including my dads land) and am getting ready to put in a 1/2 acre of beans. We are currently building a house on the farm so my time is limited but one of my best friends is a wildlife biologist and we are working on a plan to include more food, habitat and a TSI. It's overwhelming right now because I don't get to spend much time there but hopefully we are living there by the fall. The farm was high graded by the guy I bought it from so we've got some work to do, but the ground is already in much better shape than what it was when purchased. Clover is in great shape and filling in nicely. Tried corn and beans last year....both failed. Crows and coons got the corn and the deer nipped the beans off as soon as they came up. Got an electric fence ready to go this time around. Hope to get the beans in the ground and fenced off this weekend. Fingers crossed it all works. If so, I'll have more deer than have ever set foot on that old rough piece of ground. It was mismanaged for years.....throw out some seed and hope for the best....when the plots failed, the guys would just dump hundreds of pounds of corn. We are working hard to undo a lot of his practices (poor soil, crab grass, blue grass etc).....got a long row to hoe but we will get there.

My son killed his first deer in one of the plots this year. He was seven at the time. It was an awesome moment and solidified our decision to move. We found ourselves packing up and leaving the neighborhood to do all the things we love. That in mind, we just figured we'd give it a try. I'll try and take pics as we go. Thanks again for all the valuable info. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome Shannon. I'm from Central KY too. Glad you joined the forum.

Welcome aboard!

My name is Bob and my wife and I purchased 134 acres to leave as a legacy to our 6 children and grandchildren. I worked on a dairy farm as a teenager and have been reliving my farm life from many years ago. I have a couple of years of work left before I retire and my wife and I are considering raising elderberries on our property. Lest there be any doubt, we all love to hunt and that was the primary purpose of buying the land. My son introduced me to the blog and honestly I found it so interesting I stayed up way to late last night reading and laughing at some of the characters that participate. What fun! Learned a lot too. So I joined this morning and look forward to participating.

Welcome! It would be helpful when you have questions if you put your general location(State at the least) and your USDA Zone number in your signature line or under your avatar picture.

My name is Bob and my wife and I purchased 134 acres to leave as a legacy to our 6 children and grandchildren. I worked on a dairy farm as a teenager and have been reliving my farm life from many years ago. I have a couple of years of work left before I retire and my wife and I are considering raising elderberries on our property. Lest there be any doubt, we all love to hunt and that was the primary purpose of buying the land. My son introduced me to the blog and honestly I found it so interesting I stayed up way to late last night reading and laughing at some of the characters that participate. What fun! Learned a lot too. So I joined this morning and look forward to participating.
Welcome Bob!

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Bob,
There’s an elderberry farm about an hour south of me. I’ve never visited but would like to some day. Always sounded interesting, As it’s a year round food plot.

Welcome Shannon and Bob !! - Lots of good folks & info on here. I've learned a TON from guys here, especially about planting food plots & fruit trees. We even have a food thread on here & guys share recipes !! I'm sure you guys will like it here.

Read Wiscwhip's advice at post #388 above again. Big help. You don't want a guy from Texas giving you advice on what plot varieties to plant if you're in Michigan. ( and vice-versa )

Hello Habitat group. Tom here. We are a small 60 acres in S central Virginia which is primarily 40% hay field with about 4 plots totaling 2 acres. Some fruit . American persimmon and Dunstun Chestnuts. All for wildlife [ we thief from each other] except a few around house. This is primarily Tobacco , Timber , cattle country . Except Winter wheat and a few soybeans not much for deer agri wise. Glad to find this group as was a former QDMA forum member and it went kaput. Stumbled on this when doing a search on Chestnut seems to be a great group . I think I will enjoy

Hello Habitat group. Tom here. We are a small 60 acres in S central Virginia which is primarily 40% hay field with about 4 plots totaling 2 acres. Some fruit . American persimmon and Dunstun Chestnuts. All for wildlife [ we thief from each other] except a few around house. This is primarily Tobacco , Timber , cattle country . Except Winter wheat and a few soybeans not much for deer agri wise. Glad to find this group as was a former QDMA forum member and it went kaput. Stumbled on this when doing a search on Chestnut seems to be a great group . I think I will enjoy
Welcome aboard Tom!

Welcome!

Welcome Shannon, Bob and Tom! Looking forward to sharing back and forth with you all.

Hello All! My name's Caleb and I'm excited to join the forum (wish I would have found out about this place last winter, but hey, better late than never). I'm 25, soon-to-be-married, and located in SE Wisconsin w/ access to my family's land of approx. 70 acres (40ish wooded, 25ish marsh, and another 10 of field that we rent out). I'm a pension actuary working in northern IL, who uses his study hours at work to get away and sit in the stand.

I've always followed my Dad's footsteps when it comes to how I try to view/manage our property. I'm generally the only one who hunts/manages it nowadays as he no longer hunts it after he and my Mom got divorced. I'm trying to break myself of the habit of only looking at the land as he used to (population and vegetation are both very different from when he used to hunt it). I'm hoping the knowledge gained here will help me finally view the property with a different eye and allow me to manage it to the best of its (my) potential.

Thanks for reading and for any future advice you might lend!
Caleb

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information on here.

Hello All! My name's Caleb and I'm excited to join the forum (wish I would have found out about this place last winter, but hey, better late than never). I'm 25, soon-to-be-married, and located in SE Wisconsin w/ access to my family's land of approx. 70 acres (40ish wooded, 25ish marsh, and another 10 of field that we rent out). I'm a pension actuary working in northern IL, who uses his study hours at work to get away and sit in the stand.

I've always followed my Dad's footsteps when it comes to how I try to view/manage our property. I'm generally the only one who hunts/manages it nowadays as he no longer hunts it after he and my Mom got divorced. I'm trying to break myself of the habit of only looking at the land as he used to (population and vegetation are both very different from when he used to hunt it). I'm hoping the knowledge gained here will help me finally view the property with a different eye and allow me to manage it to the best of its (my) potential.

Thanks for reading and for any future advice you might lend!
Caleb
Welcome Caleb!

Hi all. I'm Elbert. I live in mid-Michigan but the property that I'm trying to manage is 80 acres, more or less, in east central Mississippi with the biggest share of it being in unmanaged 18 year old pines. Getting someone in to thin them out is the first major hurdle to overcome. Anyway, I'm glad to be here. Thanks for letting me in.