Tractor Trade in Time

5 year old buck +
After grappling with the idea of consolidating two tractors down to one, I agreed on a deal that will trade in my 2017 John Deere 3025E (25 hp) — a compact tractor that has served me well for six plus years, for a new John Deere 5045 E (50 hp). I’ll likely be selling the 80hp John Deere 3020 as well, as the 5 series will pretty much do every task the smaller and larger tractors performed.

The new tractor is MFWD with FEL on an open station (with my trees, I can’t use a cab tractor). One nice part of the deal is that I am getting more on trade for the 3025E than I paid for it new in April of 2017. The bad part is that new tractor prices have gone crazy. However, I was able to get $7200 off MSRP, which means going green was less than the orange and red 50 hp utility models at nearby dealers.

IMG_0166.jpeg

Nice tractor. You are going to love it. I just traded from an early 80’s 2640 to a 5075 last year. Two Q’s, Did they still have 0% financing and do you have a grapple bucket?

I was really glad to stay with a Deere, i was surprised that it was the cheapest option when I shopped.

After grappling with the idea of consolidating two tractors down to one, I agreed on a deal that will trade in my 2017 John Deere 3025E (25 hp) — a compact tractor that has served me well for six plus years, for a new John Deere 5045 E (50 hp). I’ll likely be selling the 80hp John Deere 3020 as well, as the 5 series will pretty much do every task the smaller and larger tractors performed.

The new tractor is MFWD with FEL on an open station (with my trees, I can’t use a cab tractor). One nice part of the deal is that I am getting more on trade for the 3025E than I paid for it new in April of 2017. The bad part is that new tractor prices have gone crazy. However, I was able to get $7200 off MSRP, which means going green was less than the orange and red 50 hp utility models at nearby dealers.

View attachment 55136
Will it give you enough horse power at the pto? 50hp will get you about 40hp at the pto. 38pto hp actually.

Last edited:
I have a 5065 and it has served me well for seven years. It is probably larger than what I needed. The dealer salesman approached the sale in a different way than most folks who say get the biggest tractor you can afford. He asked me what was the biggest piece of equipment I was going to use. I told him no bigger than 8 ft - because I didnt want to completely redo my trail system. He actually recommended a 5055 and I believe I would have been fine. My idea was a 5075. The 5065 saved me about $4k - which bought my 7ft bush hog.

What size equipment do you plan on running?

Only issue I have had with my JD is that it has forward and reverse lever and alot of time it won't do anything when I move the lever to either forward or reverse.I had serviced a couple months ago and they charged me 265.00 to look at issue and decided lifting off the seat or something when I moved lever.I think I will call them back tomorrow

I’ve got a little older 2002 I think model JD 4700 I bought new back then it’s been a very good machine mine has a transmission with gears but a power reverser/shuttle shift capability like the bigger construction tractor backhoes generally use. At the time I bought it new I was on a construction gang running backhoes quite a bit so that was what I was used to running. Mine has been bullet proof.

I have a 5065 and it has served me well for seven years. It is probably larger than what I needed. The dealer salesman approached the sale in a different way than most folks who say get the biggest tractor you can afford. He asked me what was the biggest piece of equipment I was going to use. I told him no bigger than 8 ft - because I didnt want to completely redo my trail system. He actually recommended a 5055 and I believe I would have been fine. My idea was a 5075. The 5065 saved me about $4k - which bought my 7ft bush hog.

What size equipment do you plan on running?
I am running primarily cat I equipment, with the exception of a cat II cultivator. I purchased the tractor from the same dealer and salesman of my previous purchase. He too was focused on understanding the dynamics of our farm, as in 2017 I originally wanted a JD 2025R, and after listening to my plans, he recommended the less expensive 3025E. His recommendation was “spot on” for the original 20 acres, which included to periodically taking the tractor to our cabin property 170 miles away. When we added the 65 acres a couple of years ago, the needs of the farm and tractor capacity requirements changed. I almost pulled the trigger on this model last summer, but didn’t have a place to store it. Now that the barn is done, storage will not be an issue, and I will be able to use the lean-to I was using for the 3025E for firewood.

As for implements, not much is changing, other than I will get a larger (7’) rotary cutter. As with your deal, going to the “hp step smaller” saved about $4K.

Finally, I plan to run an Ag Diesel Solutions performance module that will increase HP on this model about 20-30%. ADS has been used in the ag world for two decade. I am surprised more folks in the food plot world don’t use them. For $600 this will bump the 5045E to 60hp and 46hp PTO conservatively. I’ll do another thread on this later.

Finally, I plan to run an Ag Diesel Solutions performance module that will increase HP on this model about 20-30%. ADS has been used in the ag world for two decade. I am surprised more folks in the food plot world don’t use them. For $600 this will bump the 5045E to 60hp and 46hp PTO conservatively. I’ll do another thread on this later.
Will that cause any warranty issues?

Congrats on the new ride 356. My wife has been telling me I should trade up to a newer tractor but I have been so happy with my JD-5400 that it would be too hard to let go of it. Mine is a 1997 model which I bought used in 2007 when it had 2,000 hours on it. Like b116757 said - it has been pretty much bullet proof. I did put a new seat on it, a new shift lever and a water pump hose on her but I think that has been the only issues with it and I now have 4,500 hours on it. It is MFWD - 68 HP Diesel and has done everything I have ever asked of it...

Here are some of the things I have done with it...

Pulled a 12' field cultivator...
2 - 1 of 164 (7).jpeg

planted with a JD-7000 4-row planter...
2 - 1 of 164 (107).jpeg

Moved HEAVY pallets of sod....
DSC03197 (1).jpeg

Lifted many other heavy pieces of equipment...
DSCF0300 (1).jpeg

Spread nearly 1/2 ton of fertilizer at a time...
IMG_2314 (2).jpeg

110 gallon sprayer...
IMG_5826.jpg

Spread Ag-Lime...
IMG_3589.jpeg

Snow removal...
IMG_3996.JPG

Uprooted fairly large trees...
70579706396__02EE6099-AFE7-4282-B1F1-73DACA6BF041.jpg

Of course, it is pretty easy pulling a no-till drill...
IMG_4738.JPG

I have also had a rock bucket for lifting big rocks out of new food plots, a fork lift for moving hunting blinds and lifting them onto raised platforms, etc, etc, etc. Of course, your 3020 would have done all of this and more but I think you will get by fine with the new 50 HP 5045 E. Congrats again.

Personally I have no interest in equipment newer than about 2012 the emissions garbage on newer equipment isn’t something I’m interested in fighting with, the regen stuff is particularly bad.

Will that cause any warranty issues?
The dealer said to unplug it if there is a service visit, but it should not cause any issues. However, I would say "talk to your dealer" before assuming "he did it, so can I."
Personally I have no interest in equipment newer than about 2012 the emissions garbage on newer equipment isn’t something I’m interested in fighting with, the regen stuff is particularly bad.
Sadly, the pre-emissions models are getting hard to find. I agree that the pre-emission days were nice. The key to successful regen is to have times (such as planting) when it happens while in hard use. I've read up on this quite a bit, and will post on the GTT (Green Tractor Talk) forum any "unexpected" implications. For the most part, users have figured this out and it is no longer causing the issues early tractors experienced.

WildThing...thanks for posting some cool pictures.

Here is the tractor at the dealer awaiting the loader installation:
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 4.10.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 4.11.07 PM.png

The dealer said to unplug it if there is a service visit, but it should not cause any issues. However, I would say "talk to your dealer" before assuming "he did it, so can I."

Sadly, the pre-emissions models are getting hard to find. I agree that the pre-emission days were nice. The key to successful regen is to have times (such as planting) when it happens while in hard use. I've read up on this quite a bit, and will post on the GTT (Green Tractor Talk) forum any "unexpected" implications. For the most part, users have figured this out and it is no longer causing the issues early tractors experienced.

View attachment 55243

View attachment 55244
Sweet looking tractor 👍

View attachment 55243

View attachment 55244
Beautiful rig! I have the 5055e. I’m partial to green tractors!

Congrats on the new ride 356. My wife has been telling me I should trade up to a newer tractor but I have been so happy with my JD-5400 that it would be too hard to let go of it. Mine is a 1997 model which I bought used in 2007 when it had 2,000 hours on it. Like b116757 said - it has been pretty much bullet proof. I did put a new seat on it, a new shift lever and a water pump hose on her but I think that has been the only issues with it and I now have 4,500 hours on it. It is MFWD - 68 HP Diesel and has done everything I have ever asked of it...

Here are some of the things I have done with it...

Pulled a 12' field cultivator...
View attachment 55184

planted with a JD-7000 4-row planter...
View attachment 55185

Moved HEAVY pallets of sod....
View attachment 55186

Lifted many other heavy pieces of equipment...
View attachment 55187

Spread nearly 1/2 ton of fertilizer at a time...
View attachment 55188

110 gallon sprayer...
View attachment 55189

Spread Ag-Lime...
View attachment 55190

Snow removal...
View attachment 55191

Uprooted fairly large trees...
View attachment 55192

Of course, it is pretty easy pulling a no-till drill...
View attachment 55193

I have also had a rock bucket for lifting big rocks out of new food plots, a fork lift for moving hunting blinds and lifting them onto raised platforms, etc, etc, etc. Of course, your 3020 would have done all of this and more but I think you will get by fine with the new 50 HP 5045 E. Congrats again.

I agree with you, I have the identical tractor with 5500 hours on it.

Nice tractor. You are going to love it. I just traded from an early 80’s 2640 to a 5075 last year. Two Q’s, Did they still have 0% financing and do you have a grapple bucket?

I was really glad to stay with a Deere, i was surprised that it was the cheapest option when I shopped.
Deere still has the 0%, but I opted for the "or an additional $2K for paying cash." The total discount negotiated was $7,393.00 off MSRP, plus I got what $200 more on trade for my 3025E than I paid for it originally in 2017. I don't have a grapple bucket, but will likely put an "Add a Grapple" onto my pallet forks.

Thats a good deal. I was “for sure” financing, so I didn’t even know about the $2,000.

I really thought the 0% would go away at some point with everything going on in the financial world.

Reactions: 356
Thats a good deal. I was “for sure” financing, so I didn’t even know about the $2,000.

I really thought the 0% would go away at some point with everything going on in the financial world.

There are often other funny motivators out there besides what seems obvious, more than i understand!

I bought a new f150 this spring. if I financed for 3 years @ 0%, they gave a $1000 credit for using ford financing. If I paid cash, there was no credit.. so they took $1000 less on their sale and have to wait 3 years to get fully paid and make zero $ on interest. Makes no sense. Meanwhile the balance of the truck $ is making 4+% interest in a savings account.

View attachment 55136

I like that plan.

I have a 35 hp kubota bit, wish Id have gone to 45hp. Cant remember how big your property is but, that that size tractor is a good fit for most habitat properties less than a 200 acres.

I'll bet you can do evrything you want with that tractor. Good on you.

Reactions: 356
Hope you love your tractor. I’ve got a 2015 4045e MFWD that I bought new and it’s been GREAT. It handles my super heavy Land Pride 8’ disk and my heavy Land Pride 7’ rotary cutter like a champ. It’s never missed a beat since it rolled off the trailer. Congrats!

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 19
I like that plan.

I have a 35 hp kubota bit, wish Id have gone to 45hp. Cant remember how big your property is but, that that size tractor is a good fit for most habitat properties less than a 200 acres.

I'll bet you can do evrything you want with that tractor. Good on you.
The primary property the tractor is located on is our homestead, which is 85 acres. I will likely take it to our cabin property once a year for some habitat work. 50 hp on the 5 series utility frame seems like a good size for the property. I know I’ll miss the “ease and mobility” of the 3 series, but I am also looking forward to the added capacity, especially when using the NT drill.

Hope you love your tractor. I’ve got a 2015 4045e MFWD that I bought new and it’s been GREAT. It handles my super heavy Land Pride 8’ disk and my heavy Land Pride 7’ rotary cutter like a champ. It’s never missed a beat since it rolled off the trailer. Congrats!
Thanks! It Is always good to hear of “happy customers.” I am a little envious of your rotary cutter….a 7’ is likely going on my Christmas list.