Tractor Comparison ... your thoughts?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I am looking to purchase a tractor. Have looked at a number of the various brands and have narrowed it down to John Deere & Kubota. Started looking at the sub-compact utility tractors because I wanted maneuverability; however, when I actually looked at their size they were too small.

Looking at the Kubota MX series and the JD 4M series. Will go with Hydrostatic transmission on either.

Would be using a disc, brush cutter, etc. and the FEL for landscaping, snow removal, and logging work.

I know JD has a well known name; however, everyone I know who has a Kubota speaks very well of their experience with them.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share would be appreciated.

Also, any must have accessories or add-ons.

which brand has the closest service? We are locked into jd which is a long 9 miles away, then we go 25 go any other color.

JD is 15 miles and Kubota is 40 miles away, but is on our drive to and from the farm. Both have service pick-up for $100 bucks one way. The orange guys have been incredibly responsive with quotes, details, and questions answered. I have been waiting 6 weeks for the green guys to even get me an initial quote ...

JD is 15 miles and Kubota is 40 miles away, but is on our drive to and from the farm. Both have service pick-up for $100 bucks one way. The orange guys have been incredibly responsive with quotes, details, and questions answered. I have been waiting 6 weeks for the green guys to even get me an initial quote ...

I think you should read your last two sentences again and you will have your answer. I know I would. That would tell me what kind of service I should probably receive in the future.

I think you should read your last two sentences again and you will have your answer. I know I would. That would tell me what kind of service I should probably receive in the future.

That has been a recurring theme in all my online research, with all other items equal, the service dealer is probably the most important deciding factor.

4 wheel drive.

If it has a FEL on it you will always be asking it to do things that maybe it shouldn't. 4 wheel is priceless at that point.

Maybe you already planned on it but thought I'd throw it out there.

Can I ask where your getting your quotes from ? I have been kicking the tires on a few tractors too. If you want you can pm me.

4 wheel drive.

If it has a FEL on it you will always be asking it to do things that maybe it shouldn't. 4 wheel is priceless at that point.

Maybe you already planned on it but thought I'd throw it out there.

Bill ... 4WD is a must, we have a lot of low ground and wet areas in the spring.

Can you elaborate more on the FEL & 4WD? I am a tractor newbie ... :(

I think what he is getting at is that if you have an FEL, you will most likely be getting yourself into situations that you would not vs if you did not have the FEL. In those cases, 4X4 is always your friend........;)

Bill ... 4WD is a must, we have a lot of low ground and wet areas in the spring.

Can you elaborate more on the FEL & 4WD? I am a tractor newbie ... :(

Get the most FEL capability you can afford and have good counter weight.

I think what he is getting at is that if you have an FEL(front end loader, just in case you didn't know), you will most likely be getting yourself into situations that you would not vs if you did not have the FEL. In those cases, 4X4 is always your friend........;)

Yes, know what the FEL is, just curious about what to avoid ... I am pretty good at getting myself into "situations" ... :)

Yes, know what the FEL is, just curious about what to avoid ... I am pretty good at getting myself into "situations" ... :)
Yeah, I saw that in your first post, so I took it out............:oops: But yes those "situations" with the FEL will almost always warrant having 4WD. Lots of extra weight up front with the FEL, so getting the front end in a bad position is easier and 4WD will help when that happens.

Can I ask where your getting your quotes from ? I have been kicking the tires on a few tractors too. If you want you can pm me.

PM sent ...

Yeah, I saw that in your first post, so I took it out............:oops: But yes those "situations" with the FEL will almost always warrant having 4WD. Lots of extra weight up front with the FEL, so getting the front end in a bad position is easier and 4WD will help when that happens.

Okay now I understand ... the added weight in the bucket and the front wheels as the lever point.

Get the most FEL capability you can afford and have good counter weight.

The dealer has recommended the rear tires being filled. They use beet juice which is heavier than water (10 lbs cu/ft) and is non-corrosive.

How much counter weight is recommended?

Okay now I understand ... the added weight in the bucket and the front wheels as the lever point.
That is one among many!;)

The dealer has recommended the rear tires being filled. They use beet juice which is heavier than water (10 lbs cu/ft) and is non-corrosive.

How much counter weight is recommended?
Realistically, that is totally dependent on the capacity of your FEL.

That has been a recurring theme in all my online research, with all other items equal, the service dealer is probably the most important deciding factor.
1000% agree, I've done a ton of research and VERY NEARLY pulled the trigger this spring, and everything I can find is that the machines are equally capable and priced in the grand scheme of things, the dealer is your factor

I would happily go with either brand and honestly most others are very good also (New Holland, MF, Kioti) I guess for some Mahindra is a good value.

But my rational when buying mine new over 15 years ago was:

- Start with local dealers within about 25 miles. At the time that limited to NH, JD, and Kubota. So all in the running and I felt the small diesels they had were all very good. (back than they were all little Japanese ones for everyone anyway). My JD has a Yanmar, been working great for years....

- Next in priority was loader capability. I really bought a tractor to lift and load stuff, only later did I get into food plots etc. Loader capability means lift capacity, roll and curl breakout force, and how high it can lift and dump stuff. Turns out back than the JD loaders had about a 8" advantage on height over NH and better lift capacity. I have no idea if this it true today but saving $2000 on overall NH package was not worth it to me to give up the loader advantages for the same tractor frame size. I got the spec sheets on everything, now its the internet....compare and maybe things are more even these days.

- Next was price and that meant doing some shopping around. I got over a $1500 price diff between a couple of JD options. The big local ag dealership, no price breaks. A local power center big into high end garden tractors and just getting into the Compact Utility Tractor CUT biz was more competitive.

The local Kubota dealer here is just high on EVERYTHING. More on that in a minute....

- Ordered R4 industrial tires. Some really like the R1s if doing only field work but I knew I would be doing gravel driveway work and running down roads to get to land at times. The tires have more plys than R1s and since I was getting 4WD anyway, good enough

- Loaded tires. The beet juice is branded Rim Guard around here. Only some shops are distributors but more are carrying it these days in WI. My choices were a semi-local mom and pop tire service center that does a lot of business with farmers in a small town and the Kubota dealer closer by. Mom and Pop were just over half the price, big difference of a few hundred dollars. Did not buy tractor with tires loaded, bought a weight box instead. Now years later the weight box just sits around, loaded tires are good enough for me and if really concerned add my 900 lb brushhog which really sticks out the back and gives huge leverage for the weight. They were willing to bring service truck out to land to load tires for like $75 extra but I was trailering tractor back to my house to plow snow for the winter anyway so just dropped off at their shop.

If price was better, would buy a Kubota or Kioti no problem....

I think what he is getting at is that if you have an FEL, you will most likely be getting yourself into situations that you would not vs if you did not have the FEL. In those cases, 4X4 is always your friend........;)

Yep that's it. Like when you cut to many trees at once on the edge of a field. Then use the FEL to stack them as a blockade and put the front tires over a tree truck you didn't see :oops:

Also the best addition I made to my FEL was having my neighbor weld a chain grab hook to the top of it. Works great for lifting or pulling things.

I had a Ford 4000 2wd I completely rebuilt. It was great but with heavy harrow would slip. I now own a brand new at the time JD 5075E with 4wd. I love it. Here is my advice. Buy the cheaper Kubota but get 4wd. I chose JD over Kubota but knew they were of equal quality. JD service was much closer which swung me to JD. My best advice is get more HP than you need with 4wd. You will not regret it