Sell outright or trade in my current tractor?

No
I think you will get a better price for your machine selling it out right. Now...that doesn't mean you will sell it quickly. Trade-in means the place you are working with will be trying to make some money when they re-sell it and that means that money will come out of your pocket, but it happens quickly, so it may help address a cash-flow issue if there is one. All depends on the situation and if you think your getting a fair price if you trade it in.
No cash flow issues but I am willing to factor in the value of “reducing my hassle” with trading it in. Driving an hour to my farm each way to show the tractor isn’t going to be a lot of fun.

When negotiating remember the dealers best offer is not their lowest offer. It is the best offer the are happy to take. So many times I give a customer our best offer, he wants to write it asking for something lower and 9 out of 10 times they take it. There is a lot of competition among dealers, if they have you in their dealership they don’t want you to leave when close to a deal. They know when you are close you can take that number to a competitor and they will take it every time. I got a deal last week that the dealership broke even on, on a 200 hour machine. Customer was buying for end of year and he told us what deal he would take. He also told us where all our competitors were at. We took the deal to move a machine and prevent one from going to the competition. Dealership profits are all in parts and service, we make very little on the actual sale of the machine. Don’t be afraid to offend the dealer you could be surprised what they take if they are in the mood to move a machine.

When negotiating remember the dealers best offer is not their lowest offer. It is the best offer the are happy to take. So many times I give a customer our best offer, he wants to write it asking for something lower and 9 out of 10 times they take it. There is a lot of competition among dealers, if they have you in their dealership they don’t want you to leave when close to a deal. They know when you are close you can take that number to a competitor and they will take it every time. I got a deal last week that the dealership broke even on, on a 200 hour machine. Customer was buying for end of year and he told us what deal he would take. He also told us where all our competitors were at. We took the deal to move a machine and prevent one from going to the competition. Dealership profits are all in parts and service, we make very little on the actual sale of the machine. Don’t be afraid to offend the dealer you could be surprised what they take if they are in the mood to move a machine.
Good info again. Thank you.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know (by best guess) what percent off you would generally expect to pay at a dealer for the same tractor that you build via their online tractor quote page? For example if you go to JD website and build a 5065E and the MSRP it spits out is 46,500...how much off do you generally find at the dealer for that same new tractor? I know some of this is subject to incentives and local guys needing to move tractors or whatever other influences might be at play, but I assume the online build price isn’t what you would expect to pay at the dealer? I’m assuming if there’s something on their lot they are much more willing to make a deal on it as well.

I purchased a 5065E last year and without the loader, MSRP was $34,980 and the dealer quote was $28,500. I don't remember the breakout of Deere discount vs. dealer discounts. I have found Mutton Implement's (Deere) website to be a good resource for what to expect a competitive dealer to charge.

I purchased a 5065E last year and without the loader, MSRP was $34,980 and the dealer quote was $28,500. I don't remember the breakout of Deere discount vs. dealer discounts. I have found Mutton Implement's (Deere) website to be a good resource for what to expect a competitive dealer to charge.
That’s goof info. Thank you. I think that speaks to the earlier point that buying something they have in stock leads to a hell of a lot better deal than having something built. Did you end up having a loader added to yours? If you don’t mind, can you share what they charged you? Thanks again...I’m going to pull up Mutton’s website now.

Thomas

That’s goof info. Thank you. I think that speaks to the earlier point that buying something they have in stock leads to a hell of a lot better deal than having something built. Did you end up having a loader added to yours? If you don’t mind, can you share what they charged you? Thanks again...I’m going to pull up Mutton’s website now.

Thomas

It definitely helps if you can work with a bigger dealer with multiple stores to increase the chance of having something in stock. With the loader and all fees minus rebates, it was just over $33K total. That was with the 12/12 transmission.