Tractor Comparison ... your thoughts?

You are talking greek to me, as I stated earlier, new to tractors and even the experienced tractor guys I know locally tell me HST is a better starting point.

Happy to listen to an explanation that is understandable ...

I have both and each has advantages and disadvantages. My DK45 has a a high-med-low range with 4 gears each. Can't recall ever using the low range more than once or twice. It has a shuttle shift for forward and reverse. A geared tractor is very good at holding a fixed speed regardless of terrain. With my hydrostatic there is sort of a lock that holds the pedal in a fixed position to try to maintain a fixed speed. It is less effective at that. The hydrostatic is great for variable speed work and where you are going forward and backward a lot. It is great for FEL work and great for mowing a lawn where you are going around obstacles changing speed. The hydrostatic transmission knocks a bit off the PTO power compared to the same tractor with a geared transmission.

I've learned to use the shuttle shift for loader work pretty efficiently but it is still not as nice as a hydrostatic for FEL work. All in all, I prefer the geared shuttle-shift for most of my tasks. Either will do the job. This is less critical than 4x4 with a FEL and HP and weight in my opinion.

Thanks,

Jack

Every dealer selling tractors with FEL around here (up north remember) I asked about loading tires OFFERED to get it done for an additional charge. Loading tires down south might be as simple as adding water or maybe something relatively inexpensive. Windshield wiper fluid good to -20F ain't gonna cut it up here. Typical up north is calcium chloride in the past or now alternative of beet juice. CaCl in typical concentrations added is good to about -50F and beet juice starts to get slushy about -35F. Either way runs some dollars, think I paid between $200-$300 for loading rears. CaCl is a cheaper mix per gal but is mildly corrosive and getting tubes installed is a good idea. That means unmounting tires, adding tubes, yada yada, more labor. Beet juice is stinky stuff but your dog or cattle could drink it no problem. Just pump it in and done with much less labor.

As I understand, adding an inner tube with the beet juice may cause the tube to burst. Is that an issue?

I have both and each has advantages and disadvantages. My DK45 has a a high-med-low range with 4 gears each. Can't recall ever using the low range more than once or twice. It has a shuttle shift for forward and reverse. A geared tractor is very good at holding a fixed speed regardless of terrain. With my hydrostatic there is sort of a lock that holds the pedal in a fixed position to try to maintain a fixed speed. It is less effective at that. The hydrostatic is great for variable speed work and where you are going forward and backward a lot. It is great for FEL work and great for mowing a lawn where you are going around obstacles changing speed. The hydrostatic transmission knocks a bit off the PTO power compared to the same tractor with a geared transmission.

I've learned to use the shuttle shift for loader work pretty efficiently but it is still not as nice as a hydrostatic for FEL work. All in all, I prefer the geared shuttle-shift for most of my tasks. Either will do the job. This is less critical than 4x4 with a FEL and HP and weight in my opinion.

Thanks, Jack

Google what he stated and you will easily find the answer. He's talking about a manual transmission with different gears and ranges.

I do understand the difference between HST and a manual gear shift system. I have several neighbors who farm 600-700 acres and they have manual gear systems in all of their tractors. They are experienced operators and do lots of field work. Anyone I have spoken to who does food plot work, working in their woods, and lots of FEL work have recommended the HST.

As stated, with lots of maneuvering and back & forth work the HST is a good option.

That has been a recurring theme in all my online research, with all other items equal, the service dealer is probably the most important deciding factor.

A shuttle shift is different than just a gear transmission. A shuttle has a lever almost like a blinker lever on your car that you flip to go forward or backward. You have the same amount of gears in reverse or forward instead of stopping and shifting out of say 3rd and into a reverse gear that is really slow you just drive into a pile scoop and flip the lever to backward and back away. For me the downside of the hydro getting hot when pulling farm implements. The power it takes on pulling loads up hills is more than I care for. Also I think shuttle shifts are just alot more fun to drive, but I have a zero turn for mowing so I only brush hog with the tractor.

A shuttle shift is different than just a gear transmission. A shuttle has a lever almost like a blinker lever on your car that you flip to go forward or backward. You have the same amount of gears in reverse or forward instead of stopping and shifting out of say 3rd and into a reverse gear that is really slow you just drive into a pile scoop and flip the lever to backward and back away. For me the downside of the hydro getting hot when pulling farm implements. The power it takes on pulling loads up hills is more than I care for. Also I think shuttle shifts are just alot more fun to drive, but I have a zero turn for mowing so I only brush hog with the tractor.

Yes, non-hydrostatic transmissions may or may not have a shuttle shift. If you get a FEL, and plan to do any work with it, you want a shuttle shift at a minimum.

I bought a Kubota L4060 with the shuttle shift trans new in '13 and have been nothing but thrilled with it. It was actually a size bigger than I had planned on, but like you once I saw the B in person I knew it wasn't enough tractor. I've done a lot of different things on my 70 acres over the last 3 years, and haven't ever felt like it was undersized.

I would highly suggest a third function on the FEL and at least 2 sets of rear remotes when you purchase. You will want/need them eventually and it's easier on the wallet to build them into the cost of the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Spud did you pull the trigger ?

As I understand, adding an inner tube with the beet juice may cause the tube to burst. Is that an issue?
You do not want tubes if running fluid in your tires.

Well Gents, my big toy was delivered today .... I am torn up with how the heck do I operate this thing, wanting to be safe, and then actually driving and operating everything ... wow , very impressed with ease of operation and control.

Purchased the Kubota MX5800 with 58 hp and 50 hp at the PTO. FEL that is 72" wide and a backhoe ... I have a ton of work for the the backhoe.

Thanks for all of your input and comments.

IMG_20160826_175610.jpg

Very, Very nice!!!

Congrats, now go out and get it dirty.

You are going to have a lot of fun with that thing.

Nice Kubota. You will love it.

I have a john deere 4066r. Ill tell you this much john deere has the worst customer service out of all of them. Even on the corporate level. Never again will i go green

Very Nice!

I just traded in four weeks ago my T2420 NH for a T4.75 PowerStar with cab and air ride seat. Back Surgery two years ago and was told either an air ride or give up tractor work. It was Blue or green only for me as no Kubota dealers around my area. Owned 1 Kubota, my first tractor, 12 years ago and can say nothing but good things about it. It was just under-powered for what I needed, and I was new at it. Have fun, it is addicting!

Beautiful, congrats on your purchase!