All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top seeding clover in the Spring...?

Mike Bolin

5 year old buck +
Last Fall I planted a 1/3 acre woods plot in a white clover/forage oat mix. The oats were hit hard and ate down to bare dirt by mid November. I frost seeded a white clover mix in mid March but got poor germination...first time this has happened but probably not the last time!. I am thinking of broadcasting a white clover mix late next week with rain in the forecast for Friday. Quite a bit of bare dirt showing. At this point I could disc the plot and start over but I estimate that I have close to 2/3 of the plot with the clover doing well and some volunteer oats here and there. Any of you have any success with over seeding in May or will the weed competition outrun the new clover growth? Any input is welcome! Thanks>>>--------->Mike

I have had good luck in VT in May and June if I had bare dirt and did it just before a hard rain. I would give it a try

May can be very different depending on your location. Consider adding your usda zone and general location to your profile.

Bottom line is this. Good seed to soil contact followed by moisture will yield germination. Broadcast your seed then roll or cultipack it. That won't hurt the clover. Frost seeding counts on the freeze thaw cycle when temps are warm enough to melt in the day and then freeze again at night. This forms micro-fissures in the soil sort of sucking the clover seed to the germination layer. Rolling (or even better cultipacking) pushes the seed into the soil. NO need to disc That will just bring up more weed seed into the germination layer.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for the feedback. I am in zone 5B in west central Indiana.

I'd do it. A third of an acre isn't much seed anyways. If you get timely rains it'll work, if not next fall or frost seed again.

I usually seed clover into last years brassicas with some oats and then terminate them around the first of Sept. for ceral grains.

Last years brassicas are usually eaten down to the dirt so all I do is broadcast my seed and cultipack.

DwRsQVh.jpg

I usually seed clover into last years brassicas with some oats and then terminate them around the first of Sept. for ceral grains.

Last years brassicas are usually eaten down to the dirt so all I do is broadcast my seed and cultipack.

DwRsQVh.jpg
I presume you are talking about inexpensive annual or short-lived clover as they germinate quickly and fix N before termination. I think the OP was talking about overseeding a perennial clover plot. Techniques are the same, but I wanted to be clear for the OP.

Thanks,

Jack

I presume you are talking about inexpensive annual or short-lived clover as they germinate quickly and fix N before termination. I think the OP was talking about overseeding a perennial clover plot. Techniques are the same, but I wanted to be clear for the OP.

Thanks,

Jack
It's a mix of Med red, Ladino and Crimson and oats, I look at it if I can't get back in there in Sept and so cereal grains I will at least have a clover plot there in fact this came back in super nice and I just left it in clover and moved the cereal grains.

Here's what it looked like the end of Sept. last year.

ZPSWXA7.jpg

It's a mix of Med red, Ladino and Crimson and oats, I look at it if I can't get back in there in Sept and so cereal grains I will at least have a clover plot there in fact this came back in super nice and I just left it in clover and moved the cereal grains.

Just goes to show how each situation is unique. Good idea! Typically more expensive perennial clovers are not use for plow-down but you situation is unique. Just one note if you want to save some money. Medium red is a short lived perennial that is sometimes used for plow-down. It will bounce back in the spring and typically lasts about 2 years. But if you may not have time for a couple years, the Ladino will last much longer.

Thanks,

Jack

Truly appreciate the feedback. Picked up the seed this after noon and will broadcast, then cultipack tomorrow afternoon. Rain moving in late tomorrow night so it should work out. Thanks again!