Nice, Thanks for the confidence on larger seeds. My TNM peas, beans, and sunflowers are growing but are waaaaaay behind the plot I tilled. I am going to keep TNM larger seeds though. It is bound to only get better not worse over time. I'm hoping my crimper (not done but getting there) will help speed up the process.

In my experience... both methods will work fine. In fact, I have a lot of success with leaving thatch standing and not mowing or rolling at all. If you look at the Throw n Mow thread on deerhunterforum I go into some better detail, but I've done quite a few trials with each method and have come to the conclusion that vertical thatch is just as good as horizontal thatch. I'll dig around and see if I can find a pic of a bean plot I did this year in a wheat/rye field. I rolled alternating strips and left the rest standing. It's a pretty good visual.
Have you ever done this no-till top sowing in a pasture type area (something with a sod base) or just into existing foodplots? I'm getting ready to try it in a hay field.

In my experience... both methods will work fine. In fact, I have a lot of success with leaving thatch standing and not mowing or rolling at all. If you look at the Throw n Mow thread on deerhunterforum I go into some better detail, but I've done quite a few trials with each method and have come to the conclusion that vertical thatch is just as good as horizontal thatch. I'll dig around and see if I can find a pic of a bean plot I did this year in a wheat/rye field. I rolled alternating strips and left the rest standing. It's a pretty good visual.
Have you ever done this no-till top sowing in a pasture type area (something with a sod base) or just into existing foodplots? I'm getting ready to try it in a hay field.
Yes, I've done it in heavy grass before. I'm going to contradict myself a little and say that this is a situation where mowing is probably a better option (better than leaving it vertical). Not because of the thatch but because I think the seed needs help finding the ground in thick grass. Any mechanic disturbance will work. Another method I'm fond of in this situation; I have access to cattle. I would broadcast before a rain and turn the herd loose on it for a few days, then pull them off before germination. They step the seed in and covert hay into fertilizer, and gain gain a few pounds. Win win!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice, Thanks for the confidence on larger seeds. My TNM peas, beans, and sunflowers are growing but are waaaaaay behind the plot I tilled. I am going to keep TNM larger seeds though. It is bound to only get better not worse over time. I'm hoping my crimper (not done but getting there) will help speed up the process.
It is slower in my opinion too. You do loose the ability to till in chemical fertilizer and are more reliant on rain than when tilled in. As long as you aren't comparing your plots to the farmer's down the road you'll be fine. I figure Throw-n-Mow is the closest method we have to mimicking nature, so even if it's not exactly up to our expectations it isn't necessarily bad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It is bound to only get better not worse over time.

Further, you begin to get a feel for which grass/legume varieties work well

can't wait to see the crimper!!

bill

So, I got back to my property yesterday. Aside from a downed tree across the road and the fact that my camp was broken into, it turned out to be a good day.

The brassica mix that I had planted 10 days prior was coming up well in a lot of areas and the clover survived (I'm hoping what I've circled is out of the brassica mix - anyone?):
brassica mix.jpg

B2.jpg

It rained while I was working and more last night and today. My plan was to plant austrian peas into the remaining alternating strips between the brassica mix. Instead of mowing the standing areas, I used my ATV to roll everything down. As for the details, I seeded with a hand spreader, then applied 10-10-10 and 29-0-1 on the entire plot.

Here's the plot before and after (B-A.jpg):
B-A.jpg

And I was blown away by the thatch that was left by rolling. I don't think that I will mow again (M-R.jpg):
M-R.jpg

I really hope this all works out.
Next up - I may plant some oats with the peas in 2 weeks.
Otherwise, I'll just be overseeding the entire plot in Winter Wheat/Winter Rye in early September

Monday they were calling for 3 days of rain 40% or better, so i slipped out and throw n rolled some turnips in. We got a nice 1/3" of rain last night. and a chance for more tonight.

Next weekend I'm planning on my clover/triticale/forage oats. And Im pumped about it.

a577d8636bac63befd2e986dc2eabcbc.jpg

Throw and roll purple top turnips and radishes next to my throw and mow multi species warm season mix.

I also over seeded the warm season mix with 1.5# tillage radishes and 5# lentils. Never tried lentils before but they supposedly work well broadcasted into standing crops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also noticed that the awnless winter barley I planted with the winter wheat had almost all of the seed heads eaten off. This is also something to consider with a TNM planting. If you want to go cereals again just mow and wait for rain. If you dont want the seed heads to germinate and out compete your brassica, plant awnless varieties and let the deer eat the heads for you. I ordered awnless winter barley again this year but the supplier wasn't able to get it because of numerous reasons. (I think mainly wet spring weather for the seed farmers) so they gave me VNS winter rye instead. That is fine for my throw and roll warm season plans but it sure makes it tough for fall seeding annuals into 6' tall rye.

I also wasn't able to get any icicle winter peas for the same reasons as the barley so they gave me austrian winter peas instead. I'm hoping I can get them to over winter.

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but has anyone compared the use of a rotary mower and a flail mower? Supposedly the flail mower will leave behind smaller bits that mulch better and is less prone to creating windrows?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but has anyone compared the use of a rotary mower and a flail mower? Supposedly the flail mower will leave behind smaller bits that mulch better and is less prone to creating windrows?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I haven't seen that discussed on this thread. I can provide my experience (I used a push mower) but it doesn't quite answer your question.

The push mower did tend to create wind rows as you've mentioned. Overall I was happier with rolling things down as it took much less time and it covered the ground more consistently. That being said, you can take my experience with a grain of sand right now as I just planted with the rolling this week. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Now if they made a toe-behind, drag-able a reel mower that would be an interesting concept (if it could handle un-even soil).

Looks like a big success...
I'm sure the deer, rabbits, etc will be hammering that....

July 15th I am about due to throw down some Nitrogen but am waiting for a rain.

Chuck

My brassicas are kind of spotty but I believe they will fill in with some rain, we haven't had much rain since these were planted the first week of July. I have some Urea to spread the next chance of rain.

SQvt4Fo.jpg

jUM5ECr.jpg

Mine might be a bit thick as they were weak last year so I upped my seed ratio.

Chuck

Well you guys convinced me, Throw (100 lbs Rye, 70 lbs Oats, a few pounds of clover 2 lb radish, 1lb PTT) and mowed and sprayed an acre yesterday. Got over of an inch of rain a few hours later. Excited to see how things turn out.

My plot is going well. My beans are just starting to germinate (pic).Screenshot_20190816-201319_Gallery.jpg

Sorry - that might come across HUGE.

Also had some hens with polts. Do the the polts look too small for this time of year?
Screenshot_20190816-104403_Gallery.jpg

And finally! I've got a decent buck coming in.
Screenshot_20190816-104211_Gallery.jpg