All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I plant it 1.0 soybeans on June 1st. I had good emergence what did not spray the Young lambs quarters and now a lot of it is almost 4 feet high. I want to overseed brassica so would it be best to spray and then wait several days end broadcast or am I better off broadcasting and then follow up with spray thanks.
When I spray really tall stuff I usually plan on a second spraying a couple of weeks later just in case I miss some spots, or in case some of the understory didn't get hit. It would depend on how nasty and thick is in there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I spray, then broadcast when rain is coming. And this year I've been mowing about a week to ten days after spraying. With just a riding mower to use, it works better after the stuff has died and dried out some.

seed first and spray the same day.

I sprayed last week when it was balls hot. Should get a good kill...

If I want to double spray and plant same day, should i cultipack/roll it, or brush hog it? I like brush hogging it and have had good success with brush hogging. But I'm guessing you won't get as great a kill if you mow it after you spray.

I dont know what kind of weeds you guys have to deal with. For me weeds have never been an issue when doing a brassica or cereal grain planting. Spray once and seed. The spray will kill the most of it and the food plot planting will shade out most of the rest of it. As far as ground coverage with thatch goes, you will get better coverage from rolling than you will with mowing. However depending on your soil and what you are planting it wont make much of a difference.

ok, that makes sense. most of my t&m will be triticale and clover.

When I spray really tall stuff I usually plan on a second spraying a couple of weeks later just in case I miss some spots, or in case some of the understory didn't get hit. It would depend on how nasty and thick is in there.

I would say 80% of the weeds are lambs quarters but the deer eat so much of it I consider it almost part of the food plot..it is in the Swiss chard family haha so I just need to set it back to allow the brassicas to establish..also the soybeans are all underneath as well building their little bean pods.

I would say 80% of the weeds are lambs quarters but the deer eat so much of it I consider it almost part of the food plot..it is in the Swiss chard family haha so I just need to set it back to allow the brassicas to establish..also the soybeans are all underneath as well building their little bean pods.

Lambs quarters is so attractive by me that I have considered collecting seed in the fall and planting it as a warm season food plot.

I'm laying awake at night, trying to figure out how to get my next seeding put down with the highest possible chance for germination. I likely have something slightly different as I can't mow my field (too many larger rocks and would only be using a push mower). So I'm looking at and I'm open to hearing everyone's thoughts/recommendations:
  1. Seed, Roll/Drag then spray
  2. Seed, Spray, Roll/Drag
  3. Seed, Spray, Roll/Drag, Spray Again
  4. Seed, Roll/Drag, Spray
Additionally, I should a couple of things:
I am currently using a Plotsaver fence on half of my field.
I am going to do some of this planting in strips over time (Plant, wait 2 weeks, plant, wait 2 weeks and plant). This planting in strips will be both inside and outside the fencing at the same time so that I have the same amount of new growth in both areas.

Well, I got out and started my fall planting. I decided to do a "hidden option #5". I actually took my push mower up into the woods on the back of my ATV and mowed. I seeded first and then mowed, then spread lime and fertilizer. I mowed/planted in strips about 10 -15 yards wide. I think I did 8 strips and the mowing took me about 4 or 5 hours (big SUCK factor here). I sprayed the remaining green stuff in these strips as there was some tough/thick native grass. I plan to go back in a couple of weeks and plant the same seed into the areas that I have not mowed yet (followed by over-seeding winter rye in September). This current mix was Purple Top Turnips, Pasja Hybrid Brassica, GroundHog Radish and Dwarf Essex Rape.

BIG BONUS: It rained a ton right after I left. (it might have halted the Glysophate but the seed, thatch, lime and fertilizer will really kick in)

20190728_103809.jpg

Here's a shot of the thatch ( I hope you can see it - below).
20190728_105519.jpg

And an action shot (which give a better idea of how big the field is that I'm working with, this shows about a third of the field)
Screenshot_20190728-172013_Gallery.jpg

The final product looked like this (downhill shot). You can't see the last strip cut at the bottom:
20190728_140659.jpg

and this (uphill shot). You can't see the extra cut strips at the top:
20190728_105524.jpg

NOW - I'm exhausted! Should I just have rolled instead? I ask because I still have to do it again...

Last edited:
I think you would be as good off by rolling and spraying as mowing and spraying. You will certainly be time ahead.

Hey, you look great! My lawn needs some mowing when you're done :-) You'll appreciate the plot more because of your work. Great production.

So I did a little more digging into what I can plant. I decided to go with Austrian Peas in the remaining strips that I haven't rolled/cut. I ordered some from hancockseeds and they may arrive this Saturday (which means Sunday planting and more woods work). Has anyone planted these? Any tips?

I think you would be as good off by rolling and spraying as mowing and spraying. You will certainly be time ahead.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what's the reason why rolling does as well? In my mind, the feathered out thatch would do better thann flattened thatch still connected.

Not a smart ace question, just trying to learn why the rolling is preferred.

I have the option to do both at our place.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what's the reason why rolling does as well? In my mind, the feathered out thatch would do better thann flattened thatch still connected.

In my experience... both methods will work fine. In fact, I have a lot of success with leaving thatch standing and not mowing or rolling at all. If you look at the Throw n Mow thread on deerhunterforum I go into some better detail, but I've done quite a few trials with each method and have come to the conclusion that vertical thatch is just as good as horizontal thatch. I'll dig around and see if I can find a pic of a bean plot I did this year in a wheat/rye field. I rolled alternating strips and left the rest standing. It's a pretty good visual.

First pic you can see the rows that were rolled.
Second pic let's you seed down into the thatch and identify that there are beans growing in the standing thatch as well as what what laid down.
Third and forth pics show that the beans have taken over the field and that the difference in thatch made no difference in the beans.
0a71ed56be16e9c4766c49d021e766a5.jpg
b6bffc16b40edcffdcc43f562796376c.jpg
f86de2a3196044ca9b21cffb27bd5ee4.jpg
3d28ec81067cca67b7902dec723980d8.jpg

It might just be my mower. When mowing it just doesnt seem to get spread as even as rolling does.

In my experience... both methods will work fine. In fact, I have a lot of success with leaving thatch standing and not mowing or rolling at all. If you look at the Throw n Mow thread on deerhunterforum I go into some better detail, but I've done quite a few trials with each method and have come to the conclusion that vertical thatch is just as good as horizontal thatch. I'll dig around and see if I can find a pic of a bean plot I did this year in a wheat/rye field. I rolled alternating strips and left the rest standing. It's a pretty good visual.

drilled or broadcast beans?

What I've seen is mowing seems to break down much quicker than rolling and like Fanatic said rolling is more uniform.

drilled or broadcast beans?
Broadcast. I'm pretty much 100% Throw-n-Mow (of many different forms, but no disc or drills).